Need suggestions to buy the first e-cig for my gf

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinboy

Jan 7, 2014
Princeton, NJ
Hello friends
I want to gift an e-cig to my gf on her 30th b'day.
She has been a regular smoker since 2008 at an avg of about 5 - 6 cigs per day of Marlboro Ultra Light.

Since I dont smoke, I want her to quit smoking before we get married in May this year.
Hence I want a realistic expectation based on the opinion of the contributors of this community whether she can get on to vaping & get rid of smoking & possible stop vaping or may be limit it to social occasions by May.

Also I have been trying to do a lot of research so as to which e-cig can I buy her and with the ton of information its just adding to my confusion.

Can someone point me to the right direction which provides simplified information which a beginner needs to know before deciding which e-cig to buy ?
Also if you guys can suggest the good e-cig brands, I will be grateful.

I apologize if I sound ignorant or stupid .. since I hv started my research just yesterday.

Thanks
Vin

Mapultz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
NC
Have you talked to her about vaping? Is this something she's interested in?

Vaping can absolutely help her quit...but she has to be willing to quit first. I was a pack a day smoker for 10+ years, and I quit smoking completely after a month on my ecig. But I was highly motivated.

An ecig is a highly personal thing...everyone has different preferences. The choices are varied. Do you think she'd like something that looks/feels like a cigarette? Or would she be ok with something bigger (which gains more customization/options/battery life/power)?

Jahjah1121

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
St. Paul
Agreed with the above poster. If she's not all in it'll be a waste of money. I tried and failed once. Now that I have a good set up, I havent smoked in five days and I love it. Hopefully I'll stick with it.

One thing I actually suggest is to let her choose. Part of the fun for me was going to the e cig shop and learning from the pros there. It was fun to choose my set up and sample flavors. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeBoldas

Jan 7, 2014
EARTH
I'd suggest buying one for yourself to try also/first, that way you can "assist" her in the transition by understanding her wants and needs too. Vaporizers increase in variety everyday and they make juices of 0 nicotine and millions of crazy flavors so you've really got nothing to lose.

Maybe you can even win points for trying to make it something you BOTH do :)

vinboy

Jan 7, 2014
Princeton, NJ
Have you talked to her about vaping? Is this something she's interested in?

Vaping can absolutely help her quit...but she has to be willing to quit first. I was a pack a day smoker for 10+ years, and I quit smoking completely after a month on my ecig. But I was highly motivated.

An ecig is a highly personal thing...everyone has different preferences. The choices are varied. Do you think she'd like something that looks/feels like a cigarette? Or would she be ok with something bigger (which gains more customization/options/battery life/power)?

Hi Mapultz
I asked her the question posed here .. and she said she prefers an e-cig which looks/feels like a cig.
I assume based on my research that a bigger e-cig is more cost effective and may be better at helping you quit smoking.

Also when I mentioned to her that a customized one might be better to help you quit smoking .. she said she will be ok with that.

I am confused now and would like your thoughts on whether a smaller e-cig is as effective as the bigger one at quitting smoking ?

Thanks
Vin

STiZzle2010

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2013
Rhode Island, USA
I agree that this is something you should talk over with her. If she is not interested or ready, it will not work and may come across as though you are trying to make choices and decisions for her imho.

Like other mentioned above, I smoked at least a pack a day for over 13 years and since I started vaping, I have not touched a cigarette and feel great! I would not have come this far if I was not ready however. I do feel as though many smokers subconsciously want to quit but it is not as easy as a non smoker thinks.

When I joined I had many questions and wasn't sure where to begin until I found ECF. I started a thread and will include a link below that you and your girlfriend (or should I say fiance) may find helpful. I decided on a iTaste VV V3 which I got here and has been the best choice I could have made. A friend has also gotten one after trying mine. Good luck and we are always here for support!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...841-newbie-looking-cigarette-replacement.html

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
General rule of thumb with e-cig batteries: Bigger is better. (..and that's what she said) ;)

Smokeless Image battery size comparisons.jpg size comparison of cigalike and ego batteries to a cigarette

The cigarette size batteries may work for her since she is such a light smoker, but she'll have an easier time quitting if she is willing to go with a larger size battery like a Spinner or Twist eGo batteries. Much longer battery time, much better vaping experience. More like a cigarette. Much higher success rate quitting cigarettes.

vivinovamini-twist.jpg

IDEAL STARTER SETUP FOR A BEGINNING VAPER

PICTURE DICTIONARY OF THE MORE COMMON JUICE ATTACHMENTS

ADVANCING UP THE VAPING LADDER FROM CIGALIKES, TO EGO'S, TO MODS

One can take vaping as far as they want; to simply quit cigarettes and replace them with an e-cigarette; or use an e-cig to wean the nicotine content down as far as they are comfortable and quit vaping, too. Others enjoy using an e-cig for just the flavors with no nicotine in the e-liquid. For others it becomes a hobby and they become mod enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Mapultz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
NC
Hi Mapultz
I asked her the question posed here .. and she said she prefers an e-cig which looks/feels like a cig.
I assume based on my research that a bigger e-cig is more cost effective and may be better at helping you quit smoking.

Also when I mentioned to her that a customized one might be better to help you quit smoking .. she said she will be ok with that.

I am confused now and would like your thoughts on whether a smaller e-cig is as effective as the bigger one at quitting smoking ?

Thanks
Vin

For me, the smaller (what we call cig-a-like) battery was enough to get me to quit. But it wasn't long after that I needed to upgrade to something that lasts longer and has a bit more power. I upgraded to an ego-c twist. I've been extremely happy with it. It's not huge, but there's a wide range of tanks/clearomizers/cartomizers I can put on it with liquid.

Cig-a-likes have their place. They get a lot of people started into this world. But, they can be expensive and many people end up upgrading quickly.

An above poster mentioned Halo ecigs. GREAT company, good juices, good equipment. If she does want a cig-a-like, I'd go with that one.

It probably would be a good idea to find a vape shop near you to take her to. Let her hold the different models. I was resistant to upgrading to an ego-c twist because on the internet, it looked HUGE. In person, it was not as big as I expected. It will also help if she can try different flavors at a vape shop. I surprised myself by not going for menthol flavors (I was a menthol smoker) - I like the fruits. You just don't know until you try.

Here's a directory of brick & mortar stores, you can search for your area. It is by no means complete, so still do some googling if you don't find any on this list close to you :)

Home - ECF E Cigarette Store Locator

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
the cig-look-a-likes are nice for what they are...a starting point but rarely actually help people to quit (that said there are those that it's good enough but 80% or more it is not and end up moving onto an ego type battery to quit)

So it is entirely up to you!
Vaping is a personal experience and thus to each their own. However I would suggest if she is willing to move away from it has to look like a cigarette then to go with an ego spinner. Better and longer battery life plus variable voltage.

Size Does Matter
For those out there with the "size problem" :laugh:
Here is something to give a good judgement
1456667_10151989395695970_921291825_n.jpg

Please take a moment to read through my blog here on ECF it has some basic starting info and starting "kits" for cheap (disclaimer, yes they are affiliate links but I stand behind every item that's listed)
New Vapor Starter Kits
Vaping is such a personal experience, so obviously everyone's perfect kit will be different and we will need more info about you and your needs. This post is more aimed to those that are ready to move away from cig-a-likes and into the vaping world.

I have gone through the past year of lurking in this forum and what I have learned and tried to piece together to my best a good starter kit for cheap.

Are you ready to step away from the cigarette-look-a-likes? If so this opens your choices up a lot...if you aren't then there are still options.
===========
It is all overwhelming at first but it starts getting easier and it starts making more sense.
===========
I'm still new myself but best advice I can give is: keep in mind vaping is all personal preference and there is no bad choices...what you decide is what you will be living with and using ;)
feel free to ask question, no question is stupid, just mis/under informed.

Some things to keep in mind:
Try to stick to pv's (personal vapors) that have both the 510 and ego connections this way you have all kinds of options when it comes to juice delivery systems.

Variable Voltage (vv) = everyone's taste is different so you can set your voltage up or down to help suit your needs as well as different juices and different juice delivery systems (cartomizers, tanks, ect) taste different at different voltages. (how many times can I say different)

Variable Wattage (vw) I haven't tried yet but assuming it is the same principle as stated above for vv.

Pass-through battery to be able to vape while charging.

the higher the mAh the longer the battery life

do you prefer a warm vape (top coil) or a cool vape (bottom coil)? top coil vs bottom coil tanks, to each their own...but go with glass or metal so that there's no worries about tank cracking juices.

so that aside my best advice that was given to me and is currently my only pv is to take the flying leap save yourself wasted money from buying the cigarette-look-alikes and go for a better battery...
===========
typically I suggest one to purchase the battery from else where spending a bit of money to find one that is your personal style because vaping is all about your personal preference...however if you are looking for just something decent priced that works and don't care about color or style so much :

Feel free to ask questions and let us know more about what she is looking for out of vaping and we can try to point you into the right direction.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We've discussed the e-cig gear here so far, but haven't even touched on the e-liquid flavors yet. This is as important or more so than the gear used.

If there is a brick & mortar (E-Cig store) in your area, chances are they have a juice flavor station where your GF can sample flavors before buying them. There are literally hundreds of flavors to choose from, and taste is such a personal experience. No one can pick a flavor for another person. She will also get to experience how an e-cig works by using one in the store while sampling flavors.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/store-locator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread