Need to replace my Egos with a Tube Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
In the past year, I have had 6 Tornados/Egos bite the bullit. They have all failed the same way: circuit does not turn off and the atty gets boiling hot. As soon as I unscrew the atty, the unit goes off

At first, I thought it was a shorted atty, but the attys worked fine on other units.

Of course, they are all out of warranty. I have a bunch of other mods: indulgence, Screwdriver, DSE 901, Big Brother, Buzz, but I like the Ego for use when I am out and about. it is at the limit of what I consider acceptable in public in terms of size and image. There is nothing wrong with the units and they all work fine, but they are big.

Now I have at least a $100 in dead batteries in my drawer. Economically, it would make more sense to buy another tube mod with replaceable batteries. You can get 14500 batteries from deal extreme for around $3.00 each. You can get high capacity 900 ma batteries for it.

I was thinking along the lines of the Vapre 51, but for whatever reason they are no longer available. Probably because there have been issues. It looks similar to the the VP 2 from Vaprlife; if that is the case, it's no wonder. I will never deal with Vaprlife again. It's a terrible company to deal with. Their products suck as well.

So what am I left with? I want a tube mod that is slim but has a battery that is fairly slim and has at least 900 mAh rating.

Any ones that I am missing?

Your input would be appreciated.

Tony

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Dang, you've had some bad luck with your batts. I've been vaping a year now and have only had to replace my original 2 Joye eGos at 6 and 8 months of age respectively. (Jantyworld). I have 5 on hand (3 I rotate and 2 for backup) right now from other vendors and I hope they do as well... so far so good.

I have a BSB for backup and I enjoy vaping it now and then. It's all mechanical... nothing too much can go wrong with it without an easy fix. The battery lasts me 20 hrs of vaping. I also have the PT for it and use it occasionally. I agree it's pretty big for out on the town or work though, unless you're an avid outdoorsman. The BB, as suggested, might fit that bill nicely.

I'd be hard pressed without my eGo's... they're my most favorite to date... I'm looking forward to hearing the suggestions for a good replacement in flavor, weight, size, variety of options, etc.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
If your wanting to stick to with 14500's, I would also consider the Provape V2.1

Provape makes excellent mods and the V2.1 also comes with a lifetime warranty. If you already have batts and a charger, you can pick up the base kit for 99.99 right now ProVape electronic cigarette battery mod

+1 on the ProVape. Mine works great and I still use it daily along with its big brother the Vari.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Now I have at least a $100 in dead batteries in my drawer. Economically, it would make more sense to buy another tube mod with replaceable batteries. You can get 14500 batteries from deal extreme for around $3.00 each. You can get high capacity 900 ma batteries for it.

So what am I left with? I want a tube mod that is slim but has a battery that is fairly slim and has at least 900 mAh rating.

Tony
Although cheaper, 14500's are pretty much a dead issue these days. And there is no such thing as a 900mAh 14500, what's printed on them is not the same as what they test at, after a few months the $3 cells will be at about 500 - 600mAh tops. With standard Joye atties the regulated 650mAh eGo batt will usually vape at least 3 times as long as a new '900mAh' 14500.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Apparently, there are a lot of reputable manufacturers who disagree with you on the use of 14500 batteries. Also, you statement makes no sense. Even if I agreed with you that the battery performance drops off and that manufacturers don't tell the whole truth on specs, how does a battery that delivers 650 mAh vape 3 x longer than a battery that drops of to 600 mAh?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Apparently, there are a lot of reputable manufacturers who disagree with you on the use of 14500 batteries.
Really? You are right, it's always best to trust the folks selling the product for accurate information followed by members who joined ECF a month ago.

how does a battery that delivers 650 mAh vape 3 x longer than a battery that drops of to 600 mAh?
I didn't say 'a battery', I said an eGo battery which as a device is a whole lot more sophisticated than some tube with a 14500 in it.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Although cheaper, 14500's are pretty much a dead issue these days. And there is no such thing as a 900mAh 14500, what's printed on them is not the same as what they test at, after a few months the $3 cells will be at about 500 - 600mAh tops. With standard Joye atties the regulated 650mAh eGo batt will usually vape at least 3 times as long as a new '900mAh' 14500.

By three times as long do you mean per charge cycle or overall life? I have absolutely never had an ego battery last longer on a charge than a 14500...

Jetmec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
SC
Thats a bummer going through so many batts are you using LR attys on them (not recommended) If you are interested I would like to buy your dead ones from you. I build a mod using the batt connector part. pm me if you want to get rid of them.
In the past year, I have had 6 Tornados/Egos bite the bullit. They have all failed the same way: circuit does not turn off and the atty gets boiling hot. As soon as I unscrew the atty, the unit goes off

At first, I thought it was a shorted atty, but the attys worked fine on other units.

Of course, they are all out of warranty. I have a bunch of other mods: indulgence, Screwdriver, DSE 901, Big Brother, Buzz, but I like the Ego for use when I am out and about. it is at the limit of what I consider acceptable in public in terms of size and image. There is nothing wrong with the units and they all work fine, but they are big.

I was thinking along the lines of the Vapre 51, but for whatever reason they are no longer available. Probably because there have been issues. It looks similar to the the VP 2 from Vaprlife; if that is the case, it's no wonder. I will never deal with Vaprlife again. It's a terrible company to deal with. Their products suck as well.

Any ones that I am missing?

Your input would be appreciated.

Tony

Last edited:

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
That's strange...my 3 month old 14500's out run my new eGo's on any given day. Please explain why you say otherwise.

I don't mean to speak for WillyB, but I thought I would chime in.

I own 2 Ego batts, and 4 14500 batts (2 protected, 2 unprotected). When I first used 14500 batteries by themselves (1 14500 in a box mod), I would get around 9-10 hours of use. With my Ego batt using the same atty (DSE-901 2.8 ohms), I am able to vape for a day and a half easily. In theory, based on the numbers on the packaging (900mAh 14500's), they should last longer than a 650 mAh Ego battery. Since mine don't, I am going to assume that there is some creative marketing going around with these batteries in regards to how long they last.

This is a simple case of practice beating theory.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Almost all of the PV's out there use a form of LiION battery. It is a fact that battery performance does fall off with time and use, although Li Ions have a flatter curve than most. There are large differences in both the quality and type of LI Ion batteries on the marketplace, but fundamentally a LiIon is a LiIon whether it is inside an ego or sold as a free standing battery. Some LiIOns have built in protection (highly recommended for vaping) and some are high drain (mostly used in variable voltage mods).

However, Willy B's statement that he will get 3x more vaping out of an ago compared to an equivalent LiION because the ego is a more sophisticated device is absolute rubbish. Ego's are regulated at 3.2 v; regulation only gives you a constant voltage (there are a bunch of ways to do it) which is supposed to give one a more uniform vaping experience. Some of the better variable voltage mods use regulated circuits.

LiIons when new will show over 4 volts which will drop quickly in the beginning of usage, flatten out and stay relatively constant, and then tail off rapidly at the end.

So unless Willy B can come up with some hard test results proving the superiority of the ego to an equivalent battery in mAh rating, I will choose to ignore his wild ... statements and trust the numbers as I see them. Even in the responses to this thread to date, most do not see a real difference. I have a DSE 905 that uses a 14500 and really see no difference in the vaping experience to the ego.

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I don't mean to speak for WillyB, but I thought I would chime in.

I own 2 Ego batts, and 4 14500 batts (2 protected, 2 unprotected). When I first used 14500 batteries by themselves (1 14500 in a box mod), I would get around 9-10 hours of use. With my Ego batt using the same atty (DSE-901 2.8 ohms), I am able to vape for a day and a half easily. In theory, based on the numbers on the packaging (900mAh 14500's), they should last longer than a 650 mAh Ego battery. Since mine don't, I am going to assume that there is some creative marketing going around with these batteries in regards to how long they last.

This is a simple case of practice beating theory.

I have owned 2 egos, neither have lasted longer than 6-7 hours on a single charge. 14500 have always lasted me 8 1/2 -10 hours using the same cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread