Need VV/VW APV advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneepel

Aug 28, 2014
Canada
Hi, new here so I really don't have anywhere to post. Anyways I was in the market for a VV or VW APV and I just don't know what to get. I'm looking for something in the ~$100-120 range and preferably stocked by an online Canadian vendor so I can order batteries too without having them stuck in customs(never again fast tech).

I was originally looking at the sigelei Zmax v5 but decided against it because of all the various problems I've heard about it, and now I'm looking at the Sigelei 30w although I'm not sure because of no step down circuit and I don't really want to burn out anything (i use clearomizers). Really I want something versatile that will work great without breaking in 3 months.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi kneepel and welcome to ECF from a fellow Canuck. I can't help with you with your questions because I don't vape that gear, but people who know about that stuff will be along shortly.

If you've tried something already and can tell us how you feel about that hardware, that would help.

Best of luck with it all :thumb:

kneepel

Aug 28, 2014
Canada
Hi kneepel and welcome to ECF from a fellow Canuck. I can't help with you with your questions because I don't vape that gear, but people who know about that stuff will be along shortly.

If you've tried something already and can tell us how you feel about that hardware, that would help.

Best of luck with it all :thumb:

Ohhi.

Yeah, I owned a vision spinner before it broke yesterday(rest in peace) and it served me well. I use an aerotank v2 and am probably going to upgrade to and RDA in the future once I learn more about them lol. I was just looking for something a lot more high end because I have the money to spare at the moment and would like to 'future proof' myself instead of having to continuously upgrade to get something better.

kneepel

Aug 28, 2014
Canada
I think Phil's unit was an extreme case but I will concede that build quality is not perfect and I fully respect that you don't want to take a gamble on such a device. :)

Yeah, to be honest I'm leaning heavily towards the Sigelei 30w. I can't find any alternative in the same price range available in Canada I like, I was looking at the Evic Supreme but the price point killed it for me.

I don't know, not going to be ordering till around Sunday so I'm open for discovery lol.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
If you really want high end vv that will last, I would suggest a Provari. If you are looking to upgrade to an RDA, just be advised that any regulated mod will not fire with any build that is too low. A provari will also run you a bit more than your stated budget, but it's one you won't have to worry about going bad. I searched the Provape site and seems there are several Canadian vendors for them in Alberta and BC.

M3CH M0D M4DN355

Aug 21, 2014
UK
Yeah, to be honest I'm leaning heavily towards the Sigelei 30w. I can't find any alternative in the same price range available in Canada I like, I was looking at the Evic Supreme but the price point killed it for me.

I don't know, not going to be ordering till around Sunday so I'm open for discovery lol.

I can't advise on those devices as I have had no personal experience with them but some one will give you good advise about them soon enough I am sure.
There are so many options and devices out there I have no doubt you will find the perfect device for your needs.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect vape!

kneepel

Aug 28, 2014
Canada
If you really want high end vv that will last, I would suggest a Provari. If you are looking to upgrade to an RDA, just be advised that any regulated mod will not fire with any build that is too low. A provari will also run you a bit more than your stated budget, but it's one you won't have to worry about going bad. I searched the Provape site and seems there are several Canadian vendors for them in Alberta and BC.

Yeah I heard great things about the ProVari, especially how it's American made. Unfortunately it's about double my budget and I don't want to wait too long since I don't have a backup battery.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
Yeah I heard great things about the ProVari, especially how it's American made. Unfortunately it's about double my budget and I don't want to wait too long since I don't have a backup battery.

I can understand that! And the first cardinal rule of vaping.....have backups! And backups for your backups! :laugh:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I haven't seen the 30W Sigelei, but I've owned the Sigelei Zmax Telescope V3 for almost a year. Sigelei's main issues are with the threads in the telescope. You have to clean them and apply a touch of Noalox from time to time to keep them fully conductive. The fire switch isn't exactly top quality and will bounce from time to time. I like mine and bought it for backup to my Provari V2, which had switch bounce issues, also. I sent the Provari in at the end of the second year extended warranty and they repaired it by replacing the switch. It's the most durable vape I've had and I keep going back to it as my main vape. Everything else is backup.

Anything that's stainless steel will last you longer than aluminum. In your price range, the Sigelei may be the one that appears on your short list once you search around for a while. Provape also has blems for less money. Everyone who's posted on ECF about their new blem purchase can't find anything wrong with the one they got. Go figure. I've heard people say they paid $130 for a Provari blem.

Clearance

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A VV or VW mod is just a convenient way to get voltage to your coil. There is a difference in the way that Provari delivers the voltage over most Chinese mods. Provari uses an 800hz frequency in their pulse wave modulation implementation. That produces a waveform that looks more like DC on an o-scope. Most Chinese mods use a 33hz PWM implementation. The higher the frequency, the closer it is to real DC voltage.

That said, I can't really say that my Provari produces a better vape than my Sigelei Zmax V3. The Provari doesn't have the connection issues that sometimes happen when the threads get dirty. Clean, snug threads make for better operation and the Provari is like a finely tuned machine in that respect. It just works and works.

There's all sorts of justifications for one over the other. For the price of a Provari, you can get a Sigelei, 4 batteries, a charger, some juices, and a decent tank. Provari gives you a one year warranty with stateside service and a one week turnaround. For $24.95 you can get second year warranty coverage and be guaranteed that your Provari will work for two years without additional cost. The Sigelei is warranted for 30 days replacement for manufacturing defects through the dealer.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

+1 on the Provari if you can spring for a few more bucks. They are truly worth the extra cash. I've got two that are over 2 and 1.5 years old and never had a problem. Built like a tank. And provape services the Provari for life.

Why Provari?

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
I def agree with the ProVari ( I have 2 minis), although expensive upfront, will last for the long haul. It's more of an investment than a 6 month use then throw away. It's a work horse, well made and a year warranty. But, since price is an issue, I have read great things about the Innokin MVP and people seem to like it as far as I know. I don't own one so cant vouch for it but it maybe worth looking into.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 are fine values for the money. I have two V3s. and a V5. The competition for the Sigelei is Vamo and Innokin SVD. The SVD is notorious for switch issues. It has three buttons and all of the switches inside are undersized and prone to early failure. The Vamo is hard to pin down for quality because several companies manufacture it. Soft, chrome plated 510/eGo connectors can be an issue as with the SVD.

All three use the same basic chip for 3-15W and 3-6V operation. The Sigelei V3 and V5 have a shorter design than the significantly longer Vamo or SVD. The Sigelei brushed stainless steel tube as tough and good looking as anything on the market. The Sigelei has nearly indestructible one-piece stainless steel 510/eGo threading.

Premature switch failures are an issue with most Chinese-made APVs at all price levels. My 17 month-old first generation V3 still works fine with an occasional misfire. The nine-month old second generation V3 works perfectly. My four month old V5 switch failed at four months and I replaced the switch with another tactile switch rated for 1,000,000 clicks over the weekend.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...igelei-zmax-v3-v5-telescopic-users-group.html

I use Noalox on the Sigelei V3 threads but haven't needed or used it on the Sigelei V5. This doesn't make much much rhyme or reason because the tube threads on both are identical. It's not a bad idea to use a little Noalox on any APV tube threads, though.

The Provari should not be compared with the Sigelei. I bought three Sigeleis for less than the cost of one Provari. Provari is a fine rig and you get what you pay for. But, Provari may not suit you because it doesn't have an eGo connector for your clearos. It's 510 only. The Sigelei can be repaired if you are good at a workbench and can handle tools including a soldering iron.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yzer wrote: The Provari should not be compared with the Sigelei. I bought three Sigeleis for less than the cost of one Provari. Provari is a fine rig and you get what you pay for. But, Provari may not suit you because it doesn't have an eGo connector for your clearos. It's 510 only. The Sigelei can be repaired if you are good at a workbench and can handle tools including a soldering iron.

I agree, but many eGo thread tanks and clearos come with an adapter that fits up nicely with the Provari. My Kanger Evod has one and I think that the Aspire BDC came with one, too. If you get a good adapter, it's trouble free. Some require fiddling, unscrewing and rescrewing to get a good connection between the two. That's usually caused by the adapter, not the Provari. The adapter has to maintain two connections perfectly instead of just the one with a 510 thread atomizer. Once you have the right adapter, something like the Evod or the Aspire BDC will screw down just inside the Provari ring and look like it was made for it.

Probably the best advice on which to buy is to buy one of the recommended mods that suits your budget and still leaves room for some atomizer purchases. You can always use a good VV/VW mod as backup to whatever you buy later. Provari V2 is VV only. The Provari P3 is expensive, but does both VV and VW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread