New here, but not new to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
I happened to find this forum while researching some different e-cig brands, so I decided to join.

Been vaping for more than a year now, and it's completely gotten me off the analogs. That said, I'm not ready to quit, I just want to enjoy smoking without the tar or the odor. It's nice to have a place where I can get information from fellow vapers on different brands.

I started off with V2 dogs, since I didn't know any better at the time. Needless to say, they're long gone! I was using Halo until recently, and its still my backup; arguably the best e-cig out there, IMHO. Tried Apollo last week, and their starter kit is topnotch, well-made, and they have a charging pack, an absolute must for me, since I travel a great deal for work. But their carts were just too harsh for me to keep using them, they left a harsh chemical aftertaste in my mouth.

Ultimately, I ended up using the one brand that people seem to love to hate, the Blu. Got the premium kit and while it has a few shortcomings, it's perfect for my habits. The main reason I settled on them, however, is that I can get the cartos in any store without a problem. I was in Paris and ran out and was able to get my menthol fix.

Still, as I learn more about the different brands, I may change again, possibly back to Apollo, if I can find an e-juice I like.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just glad to be here, and I look forward to learning more!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I happened to find this forum while researching some different e-cig brands, so I decided to join.

Been vaping for more than a year now, and it's completely gotten me off the analogs. That said, I'm not ready to quit, I just want to enjoy smoking without the tar or the odor. It's nice to have a place where I can get information from fellow vapers on different brands.

I started off with V2 dogs, since I didn't know any better at the time. Needless to say, they're long gone! I was using Halo until recently, and its still my backup; arguably the best e-cig out there, IMHO. Tried Apollo last week, and their starter kit is topnotch, well-made, and they have a charging pack, an absolute must for me, since I travel a great deal for work. But their carts were just too harsh for me to keep using them, they left a harsh chemical aftertaste in my mouth.

Ultimately, I ended up using the one brand that people seem to love to hate, the Blu. Got the premium kit and while it has a few shortcomings, it's perfect for my habits. The main reason I settled on them, however, is that I can get the cartos in any store without a problem. I was in Paris and ran out and was able to get my menthol fix.

Still, as I learn more about the different brands, I may change again, possibly back to Apollo, if I can find an e-juice I like.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just glad to be here, and I look forward to learning more!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hi and welcome.

If you like your Blu batteries one thing thing to think about is the Blu is 510 threaded. Which means a 510 threaded clearomizer or cartomizer from another source WILL work on it.

SO you have many choices of where to purchase empty cartomizers and clearomizers which you can then fill with your own liquid. That will save you a ton of money long run.

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Hi and welcome.

If you like your Blu batteries one thing thing to think about is the Blu is 510 threaded. Which means a 510 threaded clearomizer or cartomizer from another source WILL work on it.

SO you have many choices of where to purchase empty cartomizers and clearomizers which you can then fill with your own liquid. That will save you a ton of money long run.

Wow! I didn't know that, that's really good to know, and it opens up a whole lot of possibilities. The one thing I noticed was the relatively small size of the Blu cartos and batteries. So you're saying that any 510 threaded carto will work?

Thanks for the tip, I'm really glad I found this place!

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry ya got a bit lost there things move fast here sometimes. Glad you found a set up that works for you. Just chill and enjoy if you like cigalikes there are a few good choices out there, but if you fond what works for you in BLU then more power to ya. It's great when you get that thing that just "works" for you in vaping. feel free to PM me if you do find you want to explore a few more though I am always glad to help :D.

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Looks like you fell through the cracks PDADoc. It's great to have you here and welcome to the forum. I saw you already posted in the current Blu thread so you have already seen my opinion: If it works it works. Congratulations on your success.

Thanks, I guess I must have fallen through, LOL! I was definitely beginning to feel unloved, LOL! I love this place and look forward to contributing!

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Welcome to the forum. Sorry ya got a bit lost there things move fast here sometimes. Glad you found a set up that works for you. Just chill and enjoy if you like cigalikes there are a few good choices out there, but if you fond what works for you in BLU then more power to ya. It's great when you get that thing that just "works" for you in vaping. feel free to PM me if you do find you want to explore a few more though I am always glad to help :D.

Thanks for the welcome. Funny you should mention alternatives, because I just ordered starter kits from Apollo and Green Smoke to experiment with. Still doing my homework on e-juices, though. Don't think I'll be looking at any of the mods for a while, though: most of them either look like blunts or bongs, LOL!

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
:toast: Glad that those are working for you. There's such a variety of devices everyone should be able to find one that suits them.

Amen to that! As long as it gets me away from the analogs that had me enslaved for so long. I wanted to leave them years ago, but I was just so addicted to the nicotine that I never lasted long, until now! It feels great. I love actually smoking, but not the tobacco.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Might I suggest you order some empty 510 cartos and several sample juice packs from multiple vendors. That way you can get a taste of many things and just reorder big bottles of those you like. Be sure you order a few you never thought in a million years you would like. I really thought I wanted something as close to my Marlboro menthol taste as I could get. In the end though it was really fruit flavors that worked for me (though I do 10 minutes with a menthol juice first thing in the morning). You never know. :) Sample lots of things and reorder larger sizes when you find one you like.

Also remember the same flavor is NOT the same from one vendor to another. Strawberry from brand x is not the same as Strawberry from brand Y

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Might I suggest you order some empty 510 cartos and several sample juice packs from multiple vendors. That way you can get a taste of many things and just reorder big bottles of those you like. Be sure you order a few you never thought in a million years you would like. I really thought I wanted something as close to my Marlboro menthol taste as I could get. In the end though it was really fruit flavors that worked for me (though I do 10 minutes with a menthol juice first thing in the morning). You never know. :) Sample lots of things and reorder larger sizes when you find one you like.

Also remember the same flavor is NOT the same from one vendor to another. Strawberry from brand x is not the same as Strawberry from brand Y

That's good advice, and so true, Myrany, thanks.

One thing: what's your take on PG vs. VG juice? I've been researching this, but there's so much conflicting information out there that it's hard to discern what's true or not true, even with "information triangulating". I'm not looking at it from any so-called "health benefits/risks", but rather from a taste perspective.

For my part, I like a good throat hit, but not TOO much. My first experience with Apollo's pre-filled cartos is an example; great throat hit, but horrible chemical aftertaste. I had returned the kit, but broke down and ordered another one this morning, along with some blank cartos that I'll fill with Halo Mystic e-juice. Also ordered the Green Smoke Ultimate Kit and some blanks from them this morning also.

Leoleoleo

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't worry too much about pg and vg. Most of the throat hit will come from your nicotine level. The general rule is this:

More PG = more throat hit, more flavour, dryer mouth
More VG = more vapor, more phlegm

Both are considered to be safe by rational people, as far as we can know these things.

Good luck with those new flavours. I hope you find your holy grail.

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
I wouldn't worry too much about pg and vg. Most of the throat hit will come from your nicotine level. The general rule is this:

More PG = more throat hit, more flavour, dryer mouth
More VG = more vapor, more phlegm

Both are considered to be safe by rational people, as far as we can know these things.

Good luck with those new flavours. I hope you find your holy grail.

That's good to know, and it's a simple explanation.

Thanks!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
That's good advice, and so true, Myrany, thanks.

One thing: what's your take on PG vs. VG juice? I've been researching this, but there's so much conflicting information out there that it's hard to discern what's true or not true, even with "information triangulating". I'm not looking at it from any so-called "health benefits/risks", but rather from a taste perspective.

For my part, I like a good throat hit, but not TOO much. My first experience with Apollo's pre-filled cartos is an example; great throat hit, but horrible chemical aftertaste. I had returned the kit, but broke down and ordered another one this morning, along with some blank cartos that I'll fill with Halo Mystic e-juice. Also ordered the Green Smoke Ultimate Kit and some blanks from them this morning also.

Really it is a bit of a personal choice/experimentation thing. I like big clouds of vapor and am not a big fan of strong TH so I vape a 60PG/40VG or more often a 50/50. Others like a strong TH.

One thing you maybe already know but it never hurts to mention again. Increase your water intake. Both PG and VG are humectants in other words they dehydrate you. Many problems new vapers suffer can be avoided with a good water intake. :)

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Really it is a bit of a personal choice/experimentation thing. I like big clouds of vapor and am not a big fan of strong TH so I vape a 60PG/40VG or more often a 50/50. Others like a strong TH.

One thing you maybe already know but it never hurts to mention again. Increase your water intake. Both PG and VG are humectants in other words they dehydrate you. Many problems new vapers suffer can be avoided with a good water intake. :)

That's interesting information on the ratios. The one thing I'm starting to notice is that many manufacturers are unwilling to disclose the percentages or ratios of their e-juices, which makes it hard to pick and choose. I'm not yet at the point where I'm comfortable mixing juices, so I'll have to play it by ear and keep researching. I, too, like voluminous vapor, along with a decent TH. Which e-juices are 60/40 or 50/50, or where do I find this information?

As for the potential for dehydration, I already knew that; that kind of information is right in my professional wheelhouse, LOL!

This kind of interaction is exactly why I love this forum; everyone is so good about helping others out and sharing information, and that's what it's really all about, or supposed to be! :)

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
That's interesting information on the ratios. The one thing I'm starting to notice is that many manufacturers are unwilling to disclose the percentages or ratios of their e-juices, which makes it hard to pick and choose. I'm not yet at the point where I'm comfortable mixing juices, so I'll have to play it by ear and keep researching. I, too, like voluminous vapor, along with a decent TH. Which e-juices are 60/40 or 50/50, or where do I find this information?

As for the potential for dehydration, I already knew that; that kind of information is right in my professional wheelhouse, LOL!

This kind of interaction is exactly why I love this forum; everyone is so good about helping others out and sharing information, and that's what it's really all about, or supposed to be! :)

If you look in the options for the juice many places let you pick both the MG of nic and the ratio

One vendor that many here on the forums love is Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes, USA made E Juice, and Accessories and thier juices are HIGHLY customizable.

That said I DIY my own juices so I may be a little out of the loop on recommending places.

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013

PDADoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
If you look in the options for the juice many places let you pick both the MG of nic and the ratio

One vendor that many here on the forums love is Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes, USA made E Juice, and Accessories and thier juices are HIGHLY customizable.

That said I DIY my own juices so I may be a little out of the loop on recommending places.

I wanted to come back and thank you for the tip. After using their stuff for a week, I've settled on a 60/40 PG/VG mix, and that works just right for me. I liked the taste of the 50/50, but there wasn't enough of a TH for me, though I really liked the vapor output! I might give the 50/50 another try anyway.

Thanks again! :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread