New Hot Spring Ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Well I posted a thread here and found out that my hotspring is probably ruined. I had the hot-spring for less than a week when I heard a weird springy noise and found a really compressed spring. Now even after re-stretching the spring it simply compresses again and will not make full contact with the battery to the head of the Silver Bullet.

two to three days ago I spoke to Basilray in haste about my Silver Bullet becoming frighteningly hot at which point I removed the hot battery and left it on my bathroom floor doors closed. This is shortly affter hearing that spring-noise I mentioned earlier and is directly after trying to use "Totally Wicked's" 510 -> 901 adaptor. After doing extensive testing testing with my ohm meter I found out the issue was TW's adaptor!(note the adaptor is a male2male) The positive terminal is way too long which in turn pushes down on the positive terminal [female] of the SB head too far. Applying pressure on the positive terminal apparently closes the circuit to the body of the SB which I believe to be the issue of the over-hot battery and the fried spring. I was able to replicate this to my other battery to make sure this was the problem and not something else. But at this point I had already switched back to the default spring and only performed the test momentarily to verify the problem and stay safe.

[Left: 510->901 converter][Right: a normal 510 atty]
Notice the tips of the connectors. The 510->901 adaptor is much longer.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
This is a bad adapter and/or atomizer problem.
The tip off is that the center positive terminal of the adapter/atomizer sticks way up above the threaded outer negative contact.
The contacts should be very close to even with each other.
Everyone should check this before using any adapter/atomizer.
This has caused dead shorts and collapsed springs with other mods also, not just the Silver Bullet.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Im usually much faster with replies....
High drains would be good to pop the spring so it opens the circuit?
Also the SB still works with the original spring. Im still mad at TW for selling me a faulty product. But hey is there a warrenty on that spring for 7 days after purchase?

LOL, No. The spring did what it was supposed to do. It was the adapter's fault.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
High drains can put out enough current to melt a spring quickly. They will put out plenty enough current for plenty long enough to melt the spring long before they vent/explode. A regular (unprotected) Li-Ion battery would probably not melt the spring but would get hot enough to vent/explode. With a high drain battery the spring will act like a fuse and melt (breaking the circuit) before the battery explodes. If the spring did not melt a high drain would most likely get your pv red hot or melt the aluminum before it exploded...

The moral of the story is "use protected batteries". With a protected battery the protection circuit would disconnect in a millisecond or two after the short condition and long before anything heats up or explodes. Remove the short condition and the protection circuit reconnects and your battery is just like it was before.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
With a high drain battery the spring will act like a fuse and melt (breaking the circuit) before the battery explodes.

yea were on the same lines here ;)

LOL, No. The spring did what it was supposed to do. It was the adapter's fault.

No warrenty? Meh its only $5 shipped anyways, can't blame me for askin :\

Oh and also, these batteries were given to me, my screwdriver is protected but when I looked at these batteries I just thought they were cheapos, not unprotected batteries. :\

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Most often, protected batteries will have some indication to that effect printed on them.

On your screwdriver. Even if the screwdriver is protected it wouldn't help if say the battery shorted against the tube. Protected batteries have the protection circuit internal (inside the outer casing). It's also not enough to have a single protection circuit for multiple cells. Each cell should have it's own protection circuit (like when stacking two 3v batteries).

Might be better to toss the batteries and get protected ones.

I'll bet they will warranty it next time if you buy your adaptors from AltSmoke and the their adaptor fails :)

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
hey the head of my SB isnt functioning right. It doesnt fire all the time now since that day.
Is there a way to self-service this? or should I send it in?

I think its this inner (positive terminal) contact is just too low. Is the head serviceable?

The unit is not user servicable. Stop by Altsmoke's website and submit a ticket and I will take care of you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread