New Kanger Universal Dual Coils with Japanese Cotton - Horrible - Anyone else having issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banuelos

Aug 11, 2015
Okay so I'm on my fourth box of these and they're just horrible. Not working very well at all. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or that maybe the problem was with my tank or battery. I've tried different juices & three different tanks & batteries with no improvement.

With a new coil installed, I get maybe two days of barely acceptable vaping - very little vapor compared to the previous generation of coils and after about 2 days they start tasting burnt. So I went out and bought a new Kanger EVOD Glass tank which happened to come with one of the older style coils and the difference is night and day. I popped a brand new coil into the same tank to test and sure enough I'm having the same problems. It has to be the coils right?

Very curious to hear if anyone else has had similar problems. THANKS!

Using these with Protank 3 and small EVOD Glass tank
Aspire CF VV Battery

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yes, they are VOCC. With a brand new coil in, I always start at the lowest setting - 3.3v , and rarely go over 3.8v. But at any setting, the new coils make far less vapor than the "old style".

OK... so now we have some information on this design. I am disappointed for you.

Have you taken one apart?

Banuelos

Aug 11, 2015
Yes I have and they are very different than the previous coils. There is no visible wick sticking out on either side like on the old coils. Just two holes on either side where you can see the material inside. I popped off the stem on one and it looks like the wicking material covers the whole inside wall ... it surrounds the coils in the center. Very different design.

I was hoping not have to purchase a new tank/coil setup, but if these are the only coils available for my tanks then I don't think I have a choice.

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
I use the new Kanger Dual Coil OCCs (isn't that redundant?) on my Aerotank Megas and love them. They last at least two weeks for me vaping at 22 watts. Haven't had a bit of problem with them and the flavor is incredible with decent vapor production. The VOCC coils for the Sub Tank are even better, IMO. Naturally, a lot more vapor and tons more flavor. The first VOCC I used was five weeks old when I replaced it.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I took apart the single coil cotton SOCC. They appear constructed the same way as silica, with the coil wound around the cotton, or as much cotton somehow pulled through as if you did that. The cotton is extremely compressed going through the coil. You might even damage the coil trying to pull it out BEFORE using and forget about rewicking later. There is no usual flavor wick used to fill the side holes, all of the cotton goes through the coil, which is about the same size as before. They can be pretty good at first but don't last. I don't know how they're doing the others, but this is the wrong way to do it.

If your new EVOD came with the older exposed wick type -- my EVOD 2 did -- they are different beasts than any of the hidden wick types, I found them to need really low voltage and still burned too much.

Maiar

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    I always ran my dual coils for kanger stuff at around 8 watts. Any higher and stuff starts tasting burnt. With the VOCC ones I thought they we're bull.... as well, small vapor production, mute flavor, but then I figured I'd crank the power up a bit. So I got it to between 10-12 now, same as my nautilus'. The flavor isn't quite as good, but they're better than the silica ones. And they're pumping out almost as much vapor as a nautilus now. So I was ...... off at first, but now I think I may get some extra life out of my kanger equipment.

Maiar

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Oh forgot, start low with the power. But you shouldn't have any trouble getting a new VOCC to at least 10w by 1ml of juice. I find 11w is the sweet spot for the juice I'm using. BC Blast by DSV. It's like 80%VG. And as always with anything cotton, prime the .... out of it before you put it in there. Even a couple drops down the chimney if you want to play it safe.

Banuelos

Aug 11, 2015
    Okay so I gave it another shot. When I got home last night I removed the stem from one of the new coils and put a drop of liquid directly inside the coil & reassembled. I turned the voltage up to 4.3 and now it's actually working much better (1.8 ohm coils). I eventually backed it down to 4.0 which seems to be the sweet spot. Still doesn't generate quite as much vapor as the old coils and the flavor doesn't seem to come through quite as well either, but it's a huge improvement. So still not great, but at least now I can actually get some use out of them.

Thanks Maiar and everyone else for their input!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    It is possible to rebuild those coils. Usually, that's the first thing I would recommend, but that's not what these coils are built for.. they're designed so you just buy the coils and go with them.

The problem with the coilheads, is they release a product not knowing how the user is going to use them. They try to create something that appeals to most people. That can be a problem if you go outside the normal spectrum. That can either mean too high of a voltage, too low of a voltage, Very high VG content juice (thick), or very low VG content juice (thin/watery). If you use a juice that has higher VG content, it will wick slower... too slow causing a burned taste. If you have a high PG based liquid, it can flood the coil leading to low vapor as well, but also leaking out the tank. The very first thing I would do, is check the VG content of the juice.. if it's too high, then this coil may not be able to handle high VG juices.

When I get a new coil, they come bone dry. They need to be force fed liquid, otherwise they won't wick properly. This is called "priming the coils". If you can, drop a few drops directly on the coils and let them soak through. then drip some more. With these prebuilt coils, it can be a bit harder. Before putting the coils in, drip some ejuice down the stem so they can get directly on the coils.. then wait for about 30 seconds, then do it again. You want to get all the cotton inside as wet as it can be. With the VOCC coils, the cotton should surround the coil, so that's a lot of cotton to prime. Maybe a syringe might help. IF you can pull off the top stem and drip more directly on the cotton, that would be preferred. do not do this on the bottom/contact side, since you'll loosen your coil leads.

And if all else fails, or you're getting dry hits while using them, put your finger over the airhole and inhale. How much or how little to inhale depends on each system, but it will be like sucking juice like a straw through the coils. Too much, and you can flood the atomizer..

See if any of those suggestions work. I'm not a big fan of Vertical coils, but others love them. If you have any questions, I'll be in the attic dropping a wall outlet.. I'll come back and check later.

• Deleted by retired1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread