New Orleans Next Weekend - Mardi Gras!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
So I'm going to Nola 12th 13th and 14th coming back on the 15th. Mardi Gras!

This is the last weekend before Fat Tuesday so it should be off the chain over there. If the Saints win the Super Bowl I am sure it will be even MORE crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best places to go in New Orleans? I'm staying in a hotel right across the river from the french quarter and will ferry on over to it. Let me know or share your Mardi Gras stories :)

-Adriana

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
So I'm going to Nola 12th 13th and 14th coming back on the 15th. Mardi Gras!

This is the last weekend before Fat Tuesday so it should be off the chain over there. If the Saints win the Super Bowl I am sure it will be even MORE crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best places to go in New Orleans? I'm staying in a hotel right across the river from the french quarter and will ferry on over to it. Let me know or share your Mardi Gras stories :)

-Adriana

Hi there -

Of course going anywhere during Mardi Gras will be difficult but not impossible - Once you are in the French Quarter then most things of interest are within walking distance - One MUST is the Cafe Du Monde - You'll find it at the head of the French Market right up the road from the Ferry - Directly in front of The St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square - They serve Beignets and Coffee with Chickory Cafe Du Monde - Original French Market Coffee Stand New Orleans - Our History

After that - Or whatever order you do it in - The next must is Pat O'Brien's - Inventors of the Hurricane Drink - You will find it just down the road (St. Peter's) from Jackson Square - With your back to the river St. Peter's runs along the left side of the Cathedral - Pat O's is just a few blocks down on the left - Right across from the Haunted New Orleans Tour's gathering spot - Pat O'Briens

When you get done at Pat O's take a left going out and you'll be headed for Bourbon Street but before you get there there is a little hole in the wall called Preservation Hall right next door to Pat O's - opened from 8-11 every night except Sunday - Simply the BEST and purist acoustic New Orleans Jazz on the planet - If it is true that New Orleans gave birth to Jazz - Then this was the delivery room - Just one small room - No drinks - No Bathroom - Just JAZZ at it's finest - Now there is another place on the far corner of St. Peter's and Bourbon that also has a sign that says "Dedicated To the Preservation of Jazz" - THAT IS NOT THE PLACE - Don't know the story on why they have that sign up - To confuse drunk tourists I guess - Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Preservation Hall - New Orleans Jazz

FOOD - It's hard to find bad food in New Orleans - And everyone has their own favorites - I just found a new on last week - Liuzza's By The Track The BEST Oyster PO Boy I ever had - It's not in the Quarter - It's near city park - Little neighborhood bar - I highly recommend it - But - Like I said - It's hard to go wrong - If it smells good - IT IS - Po Boys - Crawfish Etouffee - Gumbo - Boudin - All MUST HAVES - Boiled Crawfish can be found nearly everywhere - Best deal is in the Grocery Store - Bagged and ready to eat -

Those are the basic MUST DOS for NOLA - Anything else? Glad to help :)

BTW - Mardi Gras is on the 16th - The 15th is a Monday - FAT TUESDAY is on a TUESDAY ;)

Last edited:

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
Bones, thanks for the GREAT information! I have printed it out to bring with me ^_^

Yeah, unfortunately I am leaving Monday night which is kinda silly but people I am with have to be back at work Tuesday morning. I, however, made sure to take the day off for recovery.

I hear the weekend before Fat Tuesday is crazy fun, I cannot wait.

Once again, thanks so much for the information :)

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Bones, thanks for the GREAT information! I have printed it out to bring with me ^_^

Yeah, unfortunately I am leaving Monday night which is kinda silly but people I am with have to be back at work Tuesday morning. I, however, made sure to take the day off for recovery.

I hear the weekend before Fat Tuesday is crazy fun, I cannot wait.

Once again, thanks so much for the information :)

:)- You're welcome -

The best parades are on that weekend - Bacchus was always one of my favorites and most elaborate - That's on Sunday at 5:15 pm - http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/parades-bachus.html#

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Last edited:

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Have fun and drink some for me!!! :D

gfight.gif

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
Was a blast! Of course I lost all my pictures in a bar in a drunken stupor, haha. But was fun as all heck. New Orleans is such a romantic city and the people there are great. Not saying they are overly friendly but man do those people know how to live! I enjoyed myself all too much.
Came back single too, hah...oh well. :) Life is good in Nola, fun times fun times!

I'm definitely going back when not so many people are there so I can really enjoy what Nola is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread