New to diy E-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

happytree

Nov 19, 2015
Hey guys, I'm currently in Malaysia, and as the news are going around about the banned vapes, I've decided to start making my own juice not only to save costs but to keep vaping even if it does get banned here. I've looked into a local vendor of mine (not planning to buy online as the prices are higher and such) and these are the following stuff I'm planning to get.

PG & VG (USP GRADE)
2 Liter (60VG-40PG) (already mixed)

Sucralose liquid (USP GRADE)
30 mL (not sure if it's enough, but I tend not to vape very sweet juices)

Citric acid (standard grade)
100 mL (not even sure if I need it, don't really know what it does)

Chiller (USP Grade)
30 mL (I'm not a big fan of fruity juices now, heading towards creamy/custard flavors, but getting it just in case)

Nicotine (US Standard) 100mg
100 mL (I only vape at 6 mg/ml, thinking this might be more than what I need)

Flavors:
1. Lemon 30 mL (gonna try to see if I can make a lemony custard/creampie flavor)
2. Strawberry 30 mL (to make strawberry custard)
3. White milk 30 mL (add some creamyness to my juice)
4. Yogurt 30mL
5. Blueberry (same as lemon, blueberry custard flavor)
6.Custard 100 mL (favorite flavor)
7. Cheesecake 100 mL (minimum buy is 100 mL for this flavor, but I only want to try it)
8. Creamy popcorn/Popcorn caramel 100 mL (hopefully I can recreate Steep's popcorn flavor)

And then about 30 pieces of 30 mL plastic bottles

My questions are, is this too much to buy to start with? Is the PG/VG premixed a good buy or should I find another vendor that sells them separately? Flavoring wise, am I buying too many to try? I am a college student, so my budget is a bit tight, but in the long run, DIY juice saves a lot of money. Ratio-wise, would I have too much left over flavoring left before I need to buy more PG/VG?

And if you guys have any tips and tricks for beginners, it'll be great to hear them. Whatever you regretted not doing or regretted doing when you first started making your own juice would also be very helpful. Steeping techniques, the frequency of shaking the juices (I've watched a lot of videos and forums, but more information wouldn't hurt). Thanks a lot guys!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I just ordered a bunch of flavours and I based my order on 2 different juices I want to try to clone.

I am a relative newbie, but the best advice I have found on ECF is not to just buy flavours without having recipes. DIY by trial and error can be completely disgusting IME.

YMMV...

Reactions: BrotherBob

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Suggestions only:

PG & VG (USP GRADE)
2 Liter (60VG-40PG) (already mixed) ----2 ltr.VG &1 ltr. PG

Sucralose liquid (USP GRADE)
30 mL (not sure if it's enough, but I tend not to vape very sweet juices)---ok

Citric acid (standard grade)
100 mL (not even sure if I need it, don't really know what it does)---Not an additive. Do not need it.

Chiller (USP Grade)
30 mL (I'm not a big fan of fruity juices now, heading towards creamy/custard flavors, but getting it just in case)---Chiller = Koolada?

Nicotine (US Standard) 100mg
100 mL (I only vape at 6 mg/ml, thinking this might be more than what I need)---ok

Buy only flavors for known expect good recipes. Wise to start out with 10 ml. only in each flavor. You might not like the brand you buy.
Might want to read:
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
My questions are, is this too much to buy to start with? Is the PG/VG premixed a good buy or should I find another vendor that sells them separately? Flavoring wise, am I buying too many to try? I am a college student, so my budget is a bit tight, but in the long run, DIY juice saves a lot of money. Ratio-wise, would I have too much left over flavoring left before I need to buy more PG/VG?

And if you guys have any tips and tricks for beginners, it'll be great to hear them. Whatever you regretted not doing or regretted doing when you first started making your own juice would also be very helpful. Steeping techniques, the frequency of shaking the juices (I've watched a lot of videos and forums, but more information wouldn't hurt). Thanks a lot guys!
1.) No.
2.) It is not bad but with the calculator I use it is easier to be mixed if you have each separate. That ratio will be influenced by what your nic base is and any flavor that is added.
3.) You can never have to many flavors, only too many that you do not like. I currently have 93 different flavors. It is always best to get a small amount first as for everyone, taste is Subjective.
4.) It all depends on your taste. Some require more flavoring to taste it while others like my self need way less flavoring. I use anywhere from 1 drop .15% to 3% of a single flavor up to 10% or 11% total of multiple flavors.
Tips and tricks:
Definitely a must.
TAKE LOTS OF NOTES!!!! Always start out with smaller amounts of flavor as it is easier to add than it is to take out. I only shake mine once really good when I mix and then every time before I use it. Try to make some that are shake and vape, then that way you have some for when you are waiting for the ones to steep. For a quick recipe for what you are getting right away, I would make it with 3% Strawberry or Blueberry, 1% Custard, and .5% sweetner and maybe .25% White milk. Like I said earlier, I am one for less flavor because sometimes less Is more. You can always adjust to your taste. A little FIY, Blueberry flavor comes out better with a tighter airflow on the draw. Hope this helps.

Reactions: happytree

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I suggest buying individual pg and vg not premixed as far as flavorings go trust me you will want a lot of flavorings to test out. my first batch I bought 3 only all 3 were pretty damn horrible. I bought cinnamon bun which tastes just like cinnamon, blueberry cotton candy which tastes very chemically, and blueberry crumble which tastes okay but again very spicy like cinnamon flavor

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
You need to add some vanillas and creams to this they help round out the flavor profile. Marshmallow is also a good one, adds sweetness and a thicker feel to a vape. I like citric acid in fruit vapes but otherwise it isn't very useful. I would get pg and vg separately. If it is difficult to import I would get more nic. It stores well in a freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread