New to E-Liquid Mixing... Help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psexton

Jun 4, 2012
NJ
Hi i just started vaping about a month ago. I bought some an ounce of Menthol 28mg (xtra str) from virgin vap. However i accidentally bought extra flavor and it is WAY too strong. Burns almost when u inhale it the mint/menthol is so strong. I was wondering what would be best to cut it down with. I got the extra str 28mg thinking i could mix it with something in the future and make more anyways so i don't mind if strength is cut some. I was just wondering how much and with what would be best to cut down the flavor without losing TOO much of the strength. I saw "pure glycerin" at CVS and was wondering if that would be good to use. The mix i have in the menthol is 80/20 PG/VG already. Also i was wondering if i could use bottled water to dilute it some. Tried on a small scale with some tap water and it became very cloudy. Also the menthol crystals were all crystallized in the morning. I shook it up and it seemed to be ok but still a bit cloudy.

If i get the USP "pure glycerin" is that like PG or VG? And how should i mix that? With distilled water, ifso how much? I WANT to dillute the flavor, maybe make it sweeter. Less menthol. Maybe i could go as low as 14-18mg with the nicotine from the 28mg its at now. Please if anyone can help. Thanks

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Hi and Welcome P! First stop that I suggest you make is to the DIY section. Read all of the precautions: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/127760-diy-warning-please-read.html before proceeding to do anything.

I'm not sure where you got your nic or if it was professionally mixed but suggest that you read up as nicotine handling is not to be taken lightly.

Wish that I had more specific advice for you but do strongly urge you to stop and educate yourself a bit before proceeding to mix and vape.

Vape Ape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
AZ
The USP pure glycerin at cvs is VG. it is safe to use. I mix with it sometimes. If you add 10 ml to your ounce, you will end up with right around 21mg juice, it will definitely cut down the flavor, maybe too much. Get the glycerin and start by adding 5ml to your 30, taste it and add more if needed. VG is also inherently sweet, so it will add that a tad, plus more vapor

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok here ya go. e-Liquid Calculator This is the calculator I use to mix with. You could pick up some straight plain nicotine in any strenght you would like( 24mg Nicotine solution - 120ml ) or you could pick up some regular no nic liquid like( PG Base - Propylene Glycol - 60ml ) either of these options would cut back the flavor. Your pick as to whether you would like to cut back the nicotine or keep it near the same. As for sweetner you could get some ethyl maltol ( 30ml Bottle - TPA Flavoring ) they can be found in this list at the "e" section of the pull down window. Those will sweeten anything they are added to. In any event head ove to the diy liquid section. Read all the stickies. Ask questions because without questions there are no answers. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
To your first question: a lot of users reported good results with Humco brand glycerin (USP) found at Walmart. Any glycerin marked USP should do.

You can also order PG and glycerin from vendors such as myfreedomsmokes.com or ecigexpress.com or others.

PG can be found, as far as I know at certain farming supply stores. Just look for USP and see what's more convenient for you...

In terms of mixing, you would simply add some VG or PG and then shake the hell out of the bottle. Then try. I'd go slow and test often, the reason being there is no linear relationship between the dilution and the end flavor. For instance, you might mix 75% juice and 25% glycerin and end up with very little flavor, especially since you would change the VG ratio which tends to mute the flavor. Or you might need even more of a dilution to get to your desired result. There is no telling before you try.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Reading and educating yourself would be great. You cannot post in the other sections until you have 5 posts and the server refreshes, however.

I will assume you have small bottles to work with and preferably a syringe to measure with.

Never use tap water to mix with. Never. Distilled water is cheap at any drugstore. Not bottled water. Not spring water.

Distilled water.

To cut your flavor by about a third and your nicotine to 18mg/ml; in a 10ml empty bottle add:

6.5 ml of your menthol juice

2.5 ml of VG Glycerin from CVS

1 ml of Distilled Water

The result will be about 50/50 PG/VG

Be careful! and Play Safe!

Psexton

Jun 4, 2012
NJ
Reading and educating yourself would be great. You cannot post in the other sections until you have 5 posts and the server refreshes, however.

I will assume you have small bottles to work with and preferably a syringe to measure with.

Never use tap water to mix with. Never. Distilled water is cheap at any drugstore. Not bottled water. Not spring water.

Distilled water.

To cut your flavor by about a third and your nicotine to 18mg/ml; in a 10ml empty bottle add:

6.5 ml of your menthol juice

2.5 ml of VG Glycerin from CVS

1 ml of Distilled Water

The result will be about 50/50 PG/VG

Be careful! and Play Safe!

Thanks! Gonna give this a try. Let ya know how it works.

xXSHOTDOWNXx

May 1, 2012
Illinois
It will be vegetable glycerin and it won't give much of a throat hit, if your interested in that, so instead of adding water add alcohol like everclear or vodka. If you don't care for TH than just use the water but you don't want to mix over 5% into your liquid of either water nor vodka. 5% or lower should be just fine. and as far as the vg goes it isn't gonna work well with sweet flavors. If your going to mix anything with vg you want it to be tobacco flavors. that's where they will shine. for sweet flavors go with pg or a mixture of the two with more pg than vg.

Psexton

Jun 4, 2012
NJ
Yep it seems to have worked well. I made 2 - 5ML Batches so in case i messed up or didn't like the result. I found some Wilton's glycerin and some mint flavoring with the baking supplies. Found out Wilton's is one of the best VG's out there. Instead of distilled water i used quad-distilled vodka. Only a small amount to thin out the VG, about. .25 ml.

I used this recipe for 5ml:

-3.75 ML E-Liquid Menthol 24MG str (not 28mg had to re-check)
-1.0 ML
-0.25 ML Vodka (4x Dist)
-About 2 drops of Mint Flavoring

What I got is 2x ML 20?mg or 18mg Nicotine str not sure. The flavor is MUCH better and tastes more like the regular flavor Menthol Moon from VirginVapor.com. If someone can confirm that nicotine ratio for me i would be thankful.

Psexton

Jun 4, 2012
NJ
It will be vegetable glycerin and it won't give much of a throat hit, if your interested in that, so instead of adding water add alcohol like everclear or vodka. If you don't care for TH than just use the water but you don't want to mix over 5% into your liquid of either water nor vodka. 5% or lower should be just fine. and as far as the vg goes it isn't gonna work well with sweet flavors. If your going to mix anything with vg you want it to be tobacco flavors. that's where they will shine. for sweet flavors go with pg or a mixture of the two with more pg than vg.

The VG reduces throat hit, but it increases smoke production right? And the alcohol (or Vodka) will INcrease the throat hit? So can I add a little of both as needed to tweak the juice?

I'm going to be ordering a bottle of 120ml Unflavored Nic from VVapors. I can order it in any VG/PG mixture and its 36MG nic str. Since i have VG glycerin i should order it in 100% pg? or 80/20 pg/vg like my e-juice? I'm going to have to cut it down to about 18-22 mg and flavor it myself so i'll have to be adding at least another 20% VG per 10ml.

Rimau

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
I have no idea where I'm at
Try this:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

It will really help you out after you read the DIY forum warnings.

I have been DIYing a long time now and this calculator has been a godsend (thanks scubadan). Make sure your PG and VG are USP. Remember that most of your flavors are going to add PG and could change the percentage by as much as 10-15%. Use the calculator, it simplifies mixing.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Yep it seems to have worked well. I made 2 - 5ML Batches so in case i messed up or didn't like the result. I found some Wilton's glycerin and some mint flavoring with the baking supplies. Found out Wilton's is one of the best VG's out there. Instead of distilled water i used quad-distilled vodka. Only a small amount to thin out the VG, about. .25 ml.

I used this recipe for 5ml:

-3.75 ML E-Liquid Menthol 24MG str (not 28mg had to re-check)
-1.0 ML
-0.25 ML Vodka (4x Dist)
-About 2 drops of Mint Flavoring

What I got is 2x ML 20?mg or 18mg Nicotine str not sure. The flavor is MUCH better and tastes more like the regular flavor Menthol Moon from VirginVapor.com. If someone can confirm that nicotine ratio for me i would be thankful.

That ratio will give you 18mg/ml. It is (approx) 60%PG, 5% vodka, and 35% VG. You should have no problems with that mixture.

In answer to your other post; Yes, I would get the nic base in 100% PG. I think it will give you the most flexibility when choosing PG/VG ratios and different strengths.

Play Safe and Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread