New type of Clearomizer for Ego-C: Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettysue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Cocoa, Florida
The place where I order my supplies sent me a copy of their latest promotions and in it was a new "Dual Coil CE5 eGo Clearomizer".

Dual Coil CE5 eGo Clearomizer - MyFreedomSmokes.com

It has 2 coils and dual wicks in it. The price is the same as the clearomizer I am using now: CE5 eGo Clearomizer with Changeable, Replaceable Heads, Coils, and Wicks

The dual coil one description says it produceds twice the vapor of the single coil one. Would that mean that if I already cough if I take in too much on a hit that I would be twice as likely to cough with this one?

I would very much appreciate opinions and suggestions from those who are not as new as myself on these new clearomizers.

thank you,

betty

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The place where I order my supplies sent me a copy of their latest promotions and in it was a new "Dual Coil CE5 eGo Clearomizer".

Dual Coil CE5 eGo Clearomizer - MyFreedomSmokes.com

It has 2 coils and dual wicks in it. The price is the same as the clearomizer I am using now: CE5 eGo Clearomizer with Changeable, Replaceable Heads, Coils, and Wicks

The dual coil one description says it produceds twice the vapor of the single coil one. Would that mean that if I already cough if I take in too much on a hit that I would be twice as likely to cough with this one?

I would very much appreciate opinions and suggestions from those who are not as new as myself on these new clearomizers.

thank you,

betty

If the claim that it produces twice as much vapor were true, then yes - you'd be twice as likely to cough ;)

However, without getting into the electronics - the coil is still rated 1.8 ohms. That's the 'result' of the dual coils and there is no reason to believe that you'd get more vapor than with a single 1.8 ohm coil. The wattage would be the same - there is a difference in amps....

Some eGo's had problems with the 1.6 ohm dual coils, but I've vaped 1.8 ohm and higher dual coils without incident.

If you need a cooler vape - try the 2.2 ohm coils on the Tabac BCC (bottom coil)/Kanger T3.

bettysue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Cocoa, Florida
If the claim that it produces twice as much vapor were true, then yes - you'd be twice as likely to cough ;)

However, without getting into the electronics - the coil is still rated 1.8 ohms. That's the 'result' of the dual coils and there is no reason to believe that you'd get more vapor than with a single 1.8 ohm coil. The wattage would be the same - there is a difference in amps....

Some eGo's had problems with the 1.6 ohm dual coils, but I've vaped 1.8 ohm and higher dual coils without incident.

If you need a cooler vape - try the 2.2 ohm coils on the Tabac BCC (bottom coil)/Kanger T3.

Would the 2.2 ohms work on the same battery I have now? Which is the Ego C 1000mAh version.

thank you,
betty

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Would the 2.2 ohms work on the same battery I have now? Which is the Ego C 1000mAh version.

thank you,
betty

Oh yeah, no problem. If you have stronger flavors get the 1.8 ohm coil. At Good Prophets and heaven gifts the clearo comes with the 1.8 ohm coil. You can get 1.5 (too low really unless you have expresso ;- ) 1.8, 2.2, and 2.4-2.6 ohm replacement coils. I find the 2.4-2.6 ohm too light even for the regulated eGo-c but you could use it on a Twist - just that you have to pump up the voltage and then you get less time vaping per charge. Several of the "2.4-2.6 ohm coils" read 2.8 on the meter. Other vendors have the 2.4-2.6 ohm coil in the unit when you buy.

bettysue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Cocoa, Florida
Oh yeah, no problem. If you have stronger flavors get the 1.8 ohm coil. At Good Prophets and heaven gifts the clearo comes with the 1.8 ohm coil. You can get 1.5 (too low really unless you have expresso ;- ) 1.8, 2.2, and 2.4-2.6 ohm replacement coils. I find the 2.4-2.6 ohm too light even for the regulated eGo-c but you could use it on a Twist - just that you have to pump up the voltage and then you get less time vaping per charge. Several of the "2.4-2.6 ohm coils" read 2.8 on the meter. Other vendors have the 2.4-2.6 ohm coil in the unit when you buy.

Thank you for the info but to be honest I have no clue what most of it means :confused:
I checked and new clearomizer I posted about is 1.8 ohm which is the same as you said is on the other sites. I'm not sure if I have a stronger flavor or not, it's menthol tobacco flavored. It's the first one I tried and I liked it so have had no reason to try any others. Menthol E-Liquid - MyFreedomSmokes.com

thank you Kent,

betty

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Thank you for the info but to be honest I have no clue what most of it means :confused:
I checked and new clearomizer I posted about is 1.8 ohm which is the same as you said is on the other sites. I'm not sure if I have a stronger flavor or not, it's menthol tobacco flavored. It's the first one I tried and I liked it so have had no reason to try any others. Menthol E-Liquid - MyFreedomSmokes.com

thank you Kent,

betty

If you get the 1.8 Ohm just set your voltage at 3.8 and vape away. Let us know how you like it.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

thank you Kent,

betty

Betty,

Ohms of the coil/clearomizer plus the voltage of the batt gives you watts. If you're battery is at a fixed voltage - say 3.7V then you can change the wattage by varying the ohm rating for the clearo. The lower the ohms, the higher the wattage. The higher the ohms, the lower the wattage. This chart should help:

Ohn8o.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ohn8o.png

If you stay in the dark green on the low end and the purple on the high end, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Stronger flavors - coffee, chocolate, tobacco - require more heat to bring out the flavors - so.... toward the purple. Lighter flavors - fruit, berries, vanilla, coconut - will wash out or burn with more heat so... you want to be toward the dark green area. Menthol and a few other flavors can do well with high heat and low heat - but they'll taste a bit differently. RY4 is another flavor that does well both high and low wattage.

bettysue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Cocoa, Florida
On my battery it says:

"Regulated mode means that the battery's output is regulated to the standard 3.3volt output of a normal eGo-T or eGo-C battery. The battery is in regulated mode when the button lights up white when pressed.

Unregulated mode means that the battery's output is not regulated. Therefore, with a freshly charged battery the output will be close to 3.7v. However, as the battery power is depleted, the voltage output slowly decreases as well. The battery is in unregulated mode when the button lights up orange when pressed."

I've never tried to use the different modes as I'm not sure why I would or what difference it makes. When I puff, the light is white which according to the above is regulated mode. My clearomizer says that it is 1.8ohms so if I add the 3.3volts of the battery the total is 5.1 which is in the green. On the new dual coil clearomizer it says that it is 1.8ohms at the coils, so would that mean it would be just 1.8 or 1.8x2? If it is times 2 then the total would be 6.9?

thank you,
betty

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
On my battery it says:

"Regulated mode means that the battery's output is regulated to the standard 3.3volt output of a normal eGo-T or eGo-C battery. The battery is in regulated mode when the button lights up white when pressed.

Unregulated mode means that the battery's output is not regulated. Therefore, with a freshly charged battery the output will be close to 3.7v. However, as the battery power is depleted, the voltage output slowly decreases as well. The battery is in unregulated mode when the button lights up orange when pressed."

I've never tried to use the different modes as I'm not sure why I would or what difference it makes. When I puff, the light is white which according to the above is regulated mode. My clearomizer says that it is 1.8ohms so if I add the 3.3volts of the battery the total is 5.1 which is in the green. On the new dual coil clearomizer it says that it is 1.8ohms at the coils, so would that mean it would be just 1.8 or 1.8x2? If it is times 2 then the total would be 6.9?

thank you,
betty

There's a formula for that ;) "Ohms law"

The way I do it is - Volts/ohms X Volts. So say.... 3.3V divided by 1.8 ohms is 1.83 and then times 3.3 volts is 6.05 Watts.

On the chart (no 3.3 Volts but...) use 3.4V from the top and then the 1.8 ohms from the left side and you get 6.42Watts - close enough :)

If you change to the 'vv mode' on the eGo-c upgrade - click 5 times to turn the battery off. The click and hold for about 8 seconds and you'll see the orange button light up. Click 5 times to turn it on and now you're at around 3.7V So....

3.7v divided by 1.8 ohms times 3.7V is 7.61 Watts (also see chart above) - that's hotter and your flavor will change. For lighter flavors if you're too hot either the flavor will be washed out - no taste, OR they'll burn - whatever flavor plus burnt taste. With too low of heat on lighter flavors, you might taste the flavor but you won't be getting much vapor. More heat will get you more vapor but at a price - burnt flavor. Coffee, espresso can stand much heat without burning.

For stronger flavors, if you're too low heat - you might taste a trace of flavor but more heat will enhance the flavor. If you go above 9-11 Watts, then that flavor will burn as well.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So does all that mean I'm fine using it as I do now?

thank you again Kent!!

betty

Sure.. you could try the other mode, so you can see the difference. Same procedure to get back to the constant mode - 5 clicks off, click and hold ... you'll see a white light...(maybe blue)... then 5 clicks to turn it on.

I got two to test them for a review I did elsewhere. I always get two in case there is something wrong with one of them. 2 sets of wicks are interesting. Its 1.8 ohms and I tried it both on a VV and non-vv battery.

My subjective feeling is I am getting about 25 to 40% more vapor (depending on the voltage applied) in comparison to an equivalent dual coil but not twice as much. Can't complain about 30% more vapor at the price of this dual coil, which is cheaper by a bit over a #1 then comparable ones I have. When I say 25 - 40% more vapor I mean against my more expensive dual coils (top) so lower cost + more vapor = good deal to me anyway.

It does its part in giving a good TH but i think the vapor is a bit warmer then other dual coils. I would have thought that dual coil with more vapor would be no warmer or even cooler then others but to me it was warmer.

I tried both of the ones I got and even replaced a head on one to make sure I was not missing out on 100% more vapor due to a defect but pretty sure that is not the case unless the whole batch was defective as well as the replacements heads.

You really can't complain when you get dual coil with that much more vapor for nearly the cost of a single coil but don't be disappointed when its not twice the vapor.

What it does do twice as much is use up the juice, I mean it really uses it up. I though on the first fill what seemed to disappear was because of the dual set of wicks needing to wick up more to get started and let it pass. The refill went as fast, so I am using up the juice enough to produce twice as much vapor but not getting the vapor. Its well made, no leaking (I did not spill) so that does not explain. So its using twice as much juice as my other dual coils (at same voltage) for 40% more vapor, so that takes a bit away from the cost effectiveness.

I will definitely use it some, especially for those times I am looking for the most amount of vapor I can get but I will be using it judiciously so as not keep juice cost down. The rest of the time I will be happy with my others and not burn up so much juice. For the price though its probably is still something to add to your kit even if you do like me and watch the juice usage.

bettysue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Cocoa, Florida
Odd...I replied a couple of hours ago and my reply isn't here :( So here it is again!

Thank you so much stormwench for your great review. It's easy to see why are are able to review products on various sites. To me the best thing about your review is that it is written so even we rookies can understand it!!

I may pick up a couple of the dual coil clearomizers just to see how they are. Right now they are on sale and are the same price as the single coils that I have been using. The main reason I haven't bought any yet is that right now the replacement heads only come in a 5 pack and I can't afford them right now.

Thank you again,

betty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread