Newbie question on RBA and prebuilt wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

symphonic18

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
So, as I've been reading, I've been seeing members espouse for rba/RBDs as having many superior qualities to standard clear/cartomizers. In my looking on various sites, I see some of them (Fasttech in particular) offer prebuilt silica wick+coil combos.
Generally, I think I would opt, at least for now, to have some sort of easier to use solution than one that requires me to reroll and rebuild a coil every time I change coils/wicks.

My question here mainly focuses on:
Are there still benefits of using a RDA with a prefabricated coil - or is this a bit like putting 87 unleaded into a sports car? Unless the underlying architecture of the atomizer system is vastly different, I wouldn't see myself getting the benefit of bamboo/cotton/SS mesh wicks, as I just don't think I'd be rolling my own coils at the moment.
For someone not particularly interested atm in rolling his own coil, is the RDA just somewhat pointless, considering using prefabricated wicks/coils?

*Don't shoot the newbie questioner
:wub:*
@mod: I xposted this with the New Members forum, so if one you'd like to delete, np.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Most RBAs are really about the coil that you build. A lot of people have been disappointed with the pre-built coils that they have bought from Fasttech/other vendors. Really, wrapping the actual coils does not take that long to get used to. I use this: Helping Hands Jig With Alligator Clips at Menards

i am disabled. I lost the use of my right hand. It took me a little longer to learn, but it was not anything that was impossible. You can definitely do it. There's a learning curve, you will get it.

Last edited:

symphonic18

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the inspiration! For me, personally, I am usually on the go and even sitting down to get the like..15 minutes of coil making zen can be hard to get. But hey, maybe I can try :D

Also, am I correct in assuming that RBAs are generally easier/less time consuming to work with than trying to recoil something like a Kanger?

Last edited:

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I think so. Taking apart a Protank head, wrapping a coil small enough to fit in it, and then putting it all back together just seems like it would be more difficult than something like a dripper. Even the Kayfun or the Russian are not super difficult to rebuild. That being said, there are a lot of people that start with rebuilding coils for Protank/Evods. P

No matter what, you always need to test coils on a meter (a multimeter, Vw device that has an ohm meter,etc...) before you fire them.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Also, am I correct in assuming that RBAs are generally easier/less time consuming to work with than trying to recoil something like a Kanger?
Heck ya! you have to remember pro heads "can" be rebuilt but they arent designed with this in mind. a true rebuildable is designed to be more hands on friendly giving you room to work on everything by making the posts unobstructed. should take all of 10 minutes to wrap a coil on some wick and attach it.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
and great thing about non clearo-style tanks is more space you get to build with and more room for more wraps.
Again, make sure you know your ohms before firing. I assuem you're using a protected mod battery and not a mechanical mod (basically just a battery in a metal pipe), because if you build the coil too low in ohms or build a short and are using an unprotected mechanical mod, it can draw more amp/watts than the battery's rated to and possibly become a pipe bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread