No case for the FDA or city councils as I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyjames

Sep 20, 2013
Los Angeles
Pretty interested to see if the FDA gets away with regulating e-cigs and to what extent. They have no case and they know it but it doesn't mean it isn't coming. It seems to be a decision between getting gov tax revenue or being proactive in consumer health, which is what the FDA stands for. That is why the delay because where it stands now they cant make a logical argument. The most stupid argument is that e-cigs would somehow promote smoking to kids because they are flavored and act as a gateway to regular cigs, which is complete nonsense, Ask me why you would choose a regular cig once your smoking ecigs. There's only 3 ingredients in ecigs, all GRAS and basically FDA approved. The truth is ecigs are more healthy than reg cigs to an extent that you cant even compare the two.. and in fact Nicotine itself has many positive benefits.. with minor to no negative effects. Nicotine itself is similar to caffeine. Theres no second hand smoke, its basically water vapor, in fact it smells good. City councils all over are banning the use of ecigs in public places where smoking is banned but do not have a logical reason.. there seems to be a widespread ignorance of what ecigs are and misinformation campaign most likely because an e-cigarette looks similar to smoking, has been called smoking and has the same name but in reality it should not even be called a cigarette. The word vape is more appropriate. If we define a cigarette because it has nicotine that is not accurate.. and nicotine is the only ingredient in common with ecigs. Simply put the FDA cannot extend their tobacco regulations to include ecigs and city councils need to re-evaluate what they think they are talking about. Truth be told I thought one of the major less talked about reasons the city does not want smoking in public places is due to cigarette butts being tossed on the ground.. nobody wants to walk in the park or the beach full of butts.. if not that then it could only be do to the idea that second hand vape is malicious, which is easy to prove false.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Vaping is a direct threat to a very significant chunk of tax dollars at all levels of government, either very directly in the form of cash money from taxes or indirectly in the form of grants and lobbying gifts. They are going to say whatever they want to say and do anything and everything in their power to protect this income. Truth and common sense mean nothing in this fight. They have the resources and the media in their pockets to spread their propaganda, and congress already gave the FDA the tools they need to bring e-cigs under their control by making it law that anything that contains any product derived from tobacco is, for legal purposes, a tobacco product.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I think this is the reason the FDA is taking so long. They know it's going to be challenged and they're having a hard time coming up with any data to justify their regulations. They're getting a lot of pressure from Congress now, so I expect they'll come up with something a lot milder than they originally wanted because they can't back up anything too stringent. I'm guessing child-proof bottles, proper labeling and likely advertising restrictions.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I suspect the FDA has found itself in a bit of a quandary.

They got spanked pretty hard when they tried to classify e-cigs as medical devices.

The vaping community has started to show that it is vocal, and spans a wide cross-section of the population. Vaping is becoming more "normalized" day by day.

Misleading articles regarding the dangers of e-cigs have gotten slammed by commenters; so the media blitz, while successful, also has a soft underbelly.

The FDA is also under fire for dragging it's feet on approval of new products.

I bet there are many at the FDA who wish they never brought up the topic in the first place.

Nonetheless, the FDA IS under a lot of pressure to get their "Deeming Regs" out there, so the stasis won't last forever...

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Regulations and taxes are coming...how onerous they are is anybody's guess. The information and supposed information being reported has exploded, actually a positive as PVs become more widely known and understood.

Regarding the cigarette butts being thrown about and vaping, we do need to discourage vapers from throwing their empty Pro Tank II on the ground littering up the place.....:laugh:

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I see it all about dollars and cents there are probably thousands of drugs sitting waiting approval from the FDA that save lives. I personally know of one that they wont approve and its been tested and proven to cure cancer for more then 10 years now. The problem is there isn't cash flow surrounding the approval at least not enough for our greedy, crooked government. I'm completely sick to death of all the smoke and mirror regulation BS. IMO the FDA has got there little calculators out figuring out all the loot they can help steal from peoples pockets that's what's taking so long the numbers aren't rite yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread