Noob APV Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexinho

Nov 8, 2011
Toronto
Hello everyone!

So for the longest time ive been using the ego-T starter kit and buying random cartomizers and clearomizers (ce4-5, vivi novas etc). Currently from my local vendor I bought the 18350 Sidewinder mechanical mod with a boge f17 tank combo.

Recently ive been reading here about variable voltages and APV models. My question to you wonderful people is which APV would you recommend to a first time apv user, along with which clearomizer / tank / cartomizers? And do you prefer mechanical mods or APV mods?

Any input is highly appreciated!!

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Hello everyone!

So for the longest time ive been using the ego-T starter kit and buying random cartomizers and clearomizers (ce4-5, vivi novas etc). Currently from my local vendor I bought the 18350 Sidewinder mechanical mod with a boge f17 tank combo.

Recently ive been reading here about variable voltages and APV models. My question to you wonderful people is which APV would you recommend to a first time apv user, along with which clearomizer / tank / cartomizers? And do you prefer mechanical mods or APV mods?

Any input is highly appreciated!!

First a bit on terminology, APV just means advanced personal vaporizer, so to me at least, mechanicals and variable volt devices are both APVs.

With your join date there I don't think you are a true newb.

Since you already have a mechanical device, I think I would advise you to go with a variable voltage mod of some kind.

If you are ok with the box feature, i'd go with the iTaste MVP...this thing has been extensively reviewed and has gotten lots of great reviews

iTaste MVP - VV Box - Black Carbon | iTaste MVP | Starter Kits | iVAPE (check for coupon code at this place, i've heard you can get it for about $55)

it's pretty solid, will last you about two days of battery length and you can see what variable voltage is all about

if you dont like the box factor or just dont want to pay that much pick up a vision spinner or an ego twist....these are about 25$ (in the u.s.) and perform much of the same features

edit: Finally if you want a more durable vv pv you can get the vamo which i dont own and cant speak to but they are very popular on ecf and in the vaping community

Last edited:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Both mechanicals and variable volt (and variable wattage) devices are capable of doing the same things..well almost the same things.

The mechanical guys are playing with the resistance side of the equation by making their own low resistance coils. In some cases they are making these at less than 1 ohm which causes the mod's high drain battery to output more wattage than it otherwise would. I regard this as dangerous, at least for me, because I don't really understand it. Even so, you can safely build a coil higher than 1 ohm, like say 1.2 for example and safely use a mechanical without its extra drain.

Whate vv and vw devices do is play with the voltage side of the equation by simply providing more or less battery power to your atomizer.

If these two, the vv devices are the simpler and I'd recommend you try one of those out first prior to getting involved in your own coil building.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
If these two, the vv devices are the simpler and I'd recommend you try one of those out first prior to getting involved in your own coil building.

They're only simpler to a degree... and you don't have to use a rebuildable on a mechanical. I'd say mechanicals are easier because there are fewer things to go wrong, and as long as you know what you're doing, the risk level is almost zero. Of course, I am a mech guy, so I guess I'm a bit biased. :p

A Smoktech Telescope paired with a Viv Nova was one of my first setups in the world of mods.

vexinho

Nov 8, 2011
Toronto
Thank you for the quick replies!

Don't be fooled by my join date haha, I'm completely oblivious to VV/VW APV's until recently!

I looked at your link the_vape_nerd, and it looks fantastic. I also came across this mod:

Chrome Vamo Mod VV/VW (body only) Latest version 2.0 - Zainy - Electronic Cigarettes

Heard good things about that too. I was also looking into a ProVari vv mod but am not sure between
these three mods. I don't mind the shape of the box mod as long as it provides a great vape! Between
these three mods the Chrome Vamo VV/VW, the iTaste MVP and the Provari, which would you say is the best
for the price?

Sorry, I also found this mod as well.

http://www.gonevape.....com/shop/kamry-telescopic-storm-mechanical-mod-kit/

Last edited:

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I have a Zmax V3. I really dig this guy so far. It pretty much has the same features of the vamo, plus it's telescoping rather than changing out tubes when you want to put in a different battery. That said, the Vamo still is pretty cool. Unfortunately, the one I got in the mail this week was DOA, so I havent had any experience with it.

vexinho

Nov 8, 2011
Toronto
BTW, do you have any interest in RBA/RDA's? One of the nice things about the VV/VW mods over the spinner is that they will tell you the atomizer's resistance that is installed on them.

I actually am very interested in that, since I'm new to these APV gizmos I would love to know my atomizer / clearomizer resistances as well! What did you have in mind?

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
You should research a few mods and what features they offer to find what best suits your needs/wants.

For a vv mod Id recommend checking out:

Vamo
Mvp
Svd
Sigelei zmax
Provari

These are the more popular vv mods on the market now.

I love my Provari because it does what I want and does so reliably.
If you can comfortably afford one id say provari.

Amethyst_Star

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Southern Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
I love my iTaste MVP. Fits perfectly in my hand and performs well. If you can afford a Provari, go for it! I've heard of many people with various APV's going back to their Provari's. I would love to get one, but I just bought an eVic. I like it, as it's not very heavy. I had gotten too used to carrying the regular eGo batteries.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
i would certainly second you getting a pro vari, vamo or zmax ....all of those are pretty well reviewed and received but there are higher in price to the iTaste mvp...i dont much care for long tube mods...if you do then go for it or get the mini sizes

for about 50-70$ you can get a great device (the mvp) that is pocketable, dependable and has long battery life

ive got a lot of mods some more expensive than this and i will never be without an iTaste mvp, i just like it for so many reasons....i hear that innokin is going to update this and they are also coming out with a newer box with a recessed tank...i cant wait for this but im also going to let the reviews come in and maybe i will pick up an extra mvp as vendors try to run down their inventory

it's just that great, even if you get something else, ...if you can afford it, get the iTaste mvp too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread