not happy with protege ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
Before I get started, I've had my Protege for about 3 months now and love it. It is not without its problems. The mech switch can be a thorn in my side from time to time but it is easily solvable and seems to work better with age. After being suckered into the Smoking Everywhere Mall scam, I found Steve (1.5+ years ago). Steve and Casey have always been helpful and have been top notch on customer support (at least for me); that was my driving force for purchasing the Protege.

That being said, I agree that the end cap is poorly machined IMO (I cannot speak for the V1/V2)- especially considering it's price. Even after 3 months of use, and Nolax'ing the threads, it is still a rough fit and I could see how some people could easily cross thread them. I find it more alarming that their site says that cross threading is not warrantied. I would suspect this is due to a large number of customers actually cross threading their devices - and if thats the case, there is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. I don't think people should have to buy Nolax to use their PV's. My $35 510 as well as my $10 flashlights strewn across my house have never had a cross threading problem... nor needed Nolax. ...just my $0.02

Last edited:

flavapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
orlando fl
ceo

Your 0.02 cents is right on the money. I didnt have much trouble with my switch, and figured out if I unscrewed the peice the atty goes into a mm or two it would work properly, but I do now have an unusable protege, unless I want to duct tape it down each battery change. I think they should stop selling them until they fix this problem, and fix the ones that people complain about, its just good business

flavapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
orlando fl
This is all kinda strange to me. Granted, I only got my Protege a couple days ago, but so far I'm nothing but pleased. Yes, the threads are a little tight and it takes some coercion to get them to match up, but I figure after a few weeks they'll loosen up. I guess only time will tell, eh?

oh yeah theyre gonna loosen up, to the point that the cap wont stay on at all.

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Was this issue ever resolved with the supplier? Because this board is really here to try to obtain resolution for problems with suppliers....not really for ongoing discussion about a particular product.

Lu

That's why the OP posted this thread. The OP has tried to resolve his issue with the supplier and has gotten "0" customer service.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Was this issue ever resolved with the supplier? Because this board is really here to try to obtain resolution for problems with suppliers....not really for ongoing discussion about a particular product.

Lu

I find this a little disappointing. This may be the only place where customers (and vendors) can air their issues publicly. I think it's a great service and valuable resource. I agree that it's a sensitive area and requires extremely close moderation. People should be held to sticking to facts and hearsay should be curtailed but I'd hate to see it moderated down to
1) issue
2) resolved/not resolved
type of statistics. There is a lot of added value in the "me too" posts. Take this particular product. For example, there seem to be more people experiencing the button problem and thread problem than would be expected due to a statistically acceptable manufacturing defect rate. That's good ancilliary information in addition to the main topic of how the vendor deals with the issue. In addition there may be a lot of people who have experienced an intermittent problem that was dismissed. Not something they might be motivated to start a new duplicate thread about but something they would be motivated to make a "me too" post on an existing thread. I think that's value added.

I wanted to comment on "warranty" on the other protoge thread but you had closed it. In the context of a previous post to the effect of "If you had bought new directly from the vendor instead of used then you would have been treated differently".

Perhaps the sticky on "what this section is for" should be clarified.

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
There are other suitable subforums to post discussions about problems with products. The suppliers own forum may be one option or asking if others have problems with the protege in the general forum may be another.

This forum is for review of suppliers....not products. If the OP has a problem with this supplier, then that is what needs to be resolved. As I mentioned, there are other forums available for reviews or discussions of the products themselves.

Reviews of Suppliers This board is for thanking suppliers for good service, or for service / delivery issues. Anyone may post here, including members and suppliers.

I think if you reread the purpose of this board, you'll see it doesn't say anything about issues with products themselves.

Lu

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Yes, I agree with that. I guess this is a bit different in that the sole supplier of that product may or may not have done anything to aleviate the product (which they make?) problem. Difficult distinction when the supplier is also the manufacturer.

On the other hand, you guys (moderators) moved that 10 page product review on the Copper to this board from somewhere else...

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Yes, I agree with that. I guess this is a bit different in that the sole supplier of that product may or may not have done anything to aleviate the product (which they make?) problem. Difficult distinction when the supplier is also the manufacturer.

If people don't like how a product is made, how is that a review of a supplier's service or delivery....which is what this board is meant for?

If every person who didn't like a product they bought posted it here, it would totally detract from what this particular board is for.

Want to make a review of it? Use the review forum. Want to have a general discussion about its good and bad points, use the general forum.

On the other hand, you guys (moderators) moved that 10 page product review on the Copper to this board from somewhere else...

That thread was moved here because the supplier wanted to respond and he couldn't in the reviews forum as they are not allowed to.

You're fairly new...you might want to read around and see what the other subforums are for.

Lu

star4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
I wAs given a FLAT "no".. They didn't try to work with me on it. I would have bought some parts for it but I was told I abused it so they will not cover it. I don't know how they can see abuse from lookiing at it but that is what I was told. I am sorry I haven't answered sooner. I was haing computer problems so was not able to get on the computer. I did post on PS forum but they deleted it.. At least it seems so to me because I ahven't been able to find it. I don't know why they won't offer me anything. Why am I one who gets denied??

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
So what we have here is: You have a product that you feel is defective and Steve has refused to replace/refund. If Steve has already said 'no' then I don't know how much more can be said about it. If you feel you have other options to pursue some sort of recovery, then that's what you should look into. We of course like to see these issues get resolved but you have an answer from the supplier. Anything more is beating a dead horse.

Anyone is welcome to read here and draw their own conclusions but as far as I can see, you made your complaint and the supplier responded to you.

Thread closed.

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread