Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I was going to apologize if this is a noob question, but since this is the new members forum, I won't bother! :D

Is it okay to build a coil completely with NR wire (silver or nickel, I'm assuming)?

I've recently taken to rebuilding my EVOD and ProTank coils since otherwise I would have trashed them for not performing how I wanted them to. I'm currently building a LR coil for my ego devices and try to get them at 1.7-1.8 Ohms. I'm currently using 3mm silica wick and 32AWG A-1. While I generally have little to complain about, now, I do notice a bit of scorching of the rubber insulator thingee. I know that since I'm only using 4/5 coils, the legs do get very hot.

I've read a lot about the whole NR-R-NR setup and have even looked into getting one of the wire weld capacitance contraptions that people talk about.

But can I get away with a straight NR coil or is there something inherently bad about it?

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I just realized that I'm going about this the wrong way and am suffering from tunnel vision. My problem? I'm focused on having a low-resistance head.

I don't need an LR head. I vape (when I'm out and about) on ego twists, vision spinners, and innokin itaztes. I'm thinking I can just make a higher-resistance head and that should help alleviate the "hot leg" syndrome while still letting me vape at my desired wattage. =)

Duh! n00b here!

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
So I just recoiled one of the EVOD heads with 6/7 turns of the Kanthal wire giving me a 2.3 Ohm head. Vaping it at 4.1-4.2 V seems to be much improved!

The coils are packed rather tightly in the head though so I'm currently wondering if I should get some thinner wire so give me more room to play with.

Thanks for the feedback and making sure that I didn't build a NR coil! I think this may have saved me a little bit of $, too, since I no longer feel the overwhelming uge to go with a NR-R-NR setup (in which case I would have seriously started looking at a wire welder pop zapper stig thingee).

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It is fine if they are tightly bunched. That is kind of the idea behind a microcoil. If all of your devices are VV/VW, there is no reason to run a coil below 2.5 ohms... as you noticed, it just makes the legs unnecessarily hot. Definitely try your hand at a microcoil at higher resistance, just get something like a drill bit or mini screwdriver that is 1/16" in diameter, wrap about 8-10 times around it so each coil is touching its neighbor. You can even heat it up and carefully squeeze it together to get it as tight as possible... just make sure no coils are overlapping. Also, don't worry if your clearo grommets get a little scorched. It is only a problem if they start falling apart or you get nasty burnt rubber flavor.

That said, I'm not a big fan of true microcoils on mechanical mods (not sure if you've ventured into that realm yet). I feel a better vape can be had with a big spaced-out thick wire SLR coil. However, I have dual micro's in an IGO-W which is working well, which makes sense because each coil is 2.5 ohms. Sorry if this RBA/mech info isn't relevant to you, just included it in case it is or for future reference.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
You guys are weird. No appreciation for a pair of hot legs... Especially you, CloudZ. "Makes the legs unnecessarily hot". I'm speechless.

Not using only NR wire may have saved you some $$, a handful of teeth and possibly a finger or two. I'm happy you asked and got answered before attempting it! Keep asking questions and try to make sure you understand whats going on before venturing further into various setups. No question is stupid. Losing face (literally), is. Worst case is someone gets upset for you asking stuff that has been answered in other threads. Ignore that and someone will most likely show up and link you the threads where it's already been answered.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
Well... in the last 11 months, or so, vaping has turned from a smoking alternative to a somewhat obsessive hobby. I've bought all kinds of equipment cartomizers, clearomizers (top wicking, bcc, etc), glassomizers batteries and mods. The choices are endless! I've only just recently started getting into the rebuilding but my preferred setup is pocket friendly and as small as possible.

By small, I mean an EVOD on a mini eGo (400 mAh) battery which I carry around during the workday (rotate between using one batt and charging another). Switching to the Vision Spinner (400 mAh) gives me a lot more versatility in an only slightly larger package.

The iTazte v3 while larger than I generally like to use is awesome and was my first foray into APVs. The price point and feature set is that awesome (and also lets me check the resistance of my builds).

I did shell out of a mechanical mod at one point (GP Paps) and even with the Kick it just didn't suit me, really. It sits on the nightstand for the movie marathons in bed. It's just too big, and heavy, for much else.

I have a feeling that RBAs are my next logical step but I'm sure that will be relegated to home use only.

I've come a long way from the Volcano ecig Inferno set that I started out with! I couldn't be happier ... and this forum has been my teacher from the very beginning!

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
You guys are weird. No appreciation for a pair of hot legs... Especially you, CloudZ. "Makes the legs unnecessarily hot". I'm speechless.
(I knew this joke was going to come up at some point :))

Nope, I like legs that are just warm. Not cool or cold (that's just weird and maybe horrifying). I've been burned too many times by pairs of hot legs, just can't appreciate them the way I naively used to ;).

Sorry... I got nothing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread