Ohm fluctuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I recently bought a mech setup which includes a k101, a helios, 2 sony vtc4's, some kanthal, some cotton and an ohm meter.

I ordered these from a few different places, and so they are coming in, in a staggered fashion. The first shipment I received contained the k101, the 2 sony's, and the ohm meter.

While waiting for the rest of my goods to arrive, I've been playing with my batteries, my mech, and the ohm meter. Familiarizing myself.

I've noticed that while the voltage reading on my ohm reader is very consistent (slight drop over time with use of the battery) the ohm reader portion is confounding me. I've been testing it on some standard resistance boge f16 cartos that I have, and what I've noticed unnerves me. The cartos are supposed to be + or - .3 from 3 ohms, and they are, at first. With use the ohms start to fluctuate, not on the meter, but between the metered readings. I'll pop it on one time and it will read 2 ohms, then an hour later it will read, say, 1.7 ohms. And while these numbers neither bother me or are alarming, they are intriguing.

I'm wondering if this is the coil actually changing ohms, maybe they do that over use/time, or my ohm meter needing calibration/replacing.

If somebody who is experienced in these matters would please ease my mind, I'd rather not build on a busted ohm meter, ya know?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
A coil shouldn't fluctuate that much...if you can get it calibrated, see what the tech says. Otherwise, get a good meter. Don't build with that, until you can confirm what's going on.
You could see about purchasing something to check how that meter is reading resistance..like a 1ohm resistor from radio shack.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
My cheap old meter seemed to have a mind of its own when it came to low ohms. The one on-board my new mod works much better and is way more convenient for my needs.
I bought it from myvaporstore for $20. It wasn't exactly cheap, but I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg for an ohm meter, I'll get a multimeter from Home Depot if it's no good...

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
^in the world of testing equipment, that is really cheap. Do some research before you purchase the next one..no need to waste another $20. Look at home depot, Lowe's, and harbor freight, and Google all the options.
I'm certainly not going to be building sub ohms on this meter, or on any meter (just not my shtick), but I just went over to my neighbors and borrowed his multi meter, they read the same, exactly. Maybe it's a problem with my coil in the carto..

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I guess it is very possible that your cartos are mislabeled..I would think boge would be better about that...plus I think I inserted into your post that you tried it on more than one atomizer.. I'm an imaginative and creative being.:)
I think I'll perform some more extensive tests before I forgo it entirely. But you can bet that if this isn't isolated to a few cartos, if it runs this way when I build my own coils, I'll upgrade to a more reliable meter for my own safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread