Ohms Volts and Watts....Variable Volt beginners view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Boy

Mar 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am finding that my 3.7volt devices work best for me with low resistance (1.5 - 2ohm) cartos.

My Lava Tube does not like dual coil cartos as the upper coil dries an burns. A single coil works a lot better. (Kanger)

To work out the watts (heat at the coil) volts x volts / ohms (3.7v x 3.7v / 1.5ohm = 9.13w)
(4.2v x 4.2v / 2.2ohm = 8.02w)
The Lavatube will not operate above 2.5amps.....so to work out amps divide volts by ohms (3.7v/1.5ohms=2.46amps)
(4.2v/2.2ohms=1.91amps)

The highest wattage I could theoretically obtain would be with a 2.5ohm single coil cart at 6volts
6v x 6v / 2.5ohms = 14.4 watts!!! at 2.4amps (6v/2.5ohms)
however the Lavatube in reality will not go much above 5.2 volts under load so.....

5x5/2.5= 10.82 watts in real terms.

A friend of mine has a Pro Vari which has a fantastic feature allowing you to test the resistance of any carto/atty attached to it.....the Kanger SR i have on the go right now is 2.2ohms and runs beautifully from 3.7 to 4.2 volts but gets a bit too hot for the thick VG cherry i am vaping right now.....

I hope these findings and my very basic understanding of the maths help someone.....

:confused::?::):vapor:

Lost Boy

Mar 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Being the slothfull type that I am I just let this do the math for me Ohm's Law Calculator

Once you know the wattage that you like best it is easy to match ohms with the proper voltage. (or voltage with the proper ohms)

Fantastic!!! Just found one on android market......Thanks, I have always just frantically tapped on my calc or done it in my head when losing sleep! lol

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I can push my 3.0 Ohm carto to 6 V on the ProVari. It tastes like sucking on coal, but it works. Now I just hope I didn't burn the carto for good :)

Yep, I didn't get a Provari so I could see how hot I could vape. Usually a 3.0 ohm Fluxo is about right for me at 4.3 or 4.4V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread