Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The genuine Kick does indeed offer some protection, regulates voltage (wattage to be exact), and essentially turns your mechanical mod into a variable wattage device.

However, if you're going to go that route, why not just get the regulated VV/VW mod? :blink: You asked about the durability of the circuit boards on the SVD. Well, what do you think the Kick is? It is a drop-in regulation circuit board, and a very fragile one at that. Better ask how long a Kick holds up before requiring replacement.

At the risk of getting slapped down by one of the forum's master vapers, I see the advantage of a mech + kick as:

1) modularity - you can swap in a future kick upgrade without having to replace your favorite mod, or you can remove the kick and vape subohm heaven (if that's your thing).

2) graceful degradation - if something happens to the PCB (e.g., juice erosion), you can swap the kick out without ditching the tube. If the board goes on a regulated mod, it's pretty much got to be binned.

rygen87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
At the risk of getting slapped down by one of the forum's master vapers, I see the advantage of a mech + kick as:

1) modularity - you can swap in a future kick upgrade without having to replace your favorite mod, or you can remove the kick and vape subohm heaven (if that's your thing).

2) graceful degradation - if something happens to the PCB (e.g., juice erosion), you can swap the kick out without ditching the tube. If the board goes on a regulated mod, it's pretty much got to be binned.

That's what I was getting at. You just worded it better. And I mean no disrespect to anyone just trying to figure out the best way to go. I THOROUGHLY respect any and all advise. Especially from the masters

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mechanical vs regulated will both have pro's & cons. Which best suits an individual's expectations and needs can only be decided by the user.

For myself, I ALWAYS consider the safest option. The regulated mod is the no-brainer here. I guess I base this decision on my own personal experience of having a so-called "protected" battery go into thermal runaway in my first mechanical mod. That experience left an ever-lasting memory I'll not soon forget and is the reason that I am always encouraging mod & battery safety on this forum.

Trustfire2.jpg

I use mostly regulated VV mods nowadays; I rarely use a mechanical mod. I never use a protected ICR battery; I use only safe-chemistry high-drain, AW IMR batteries in all of my mods.

awimr18350.jpg AW IMR 18650.jpg

Last edited:

rygen87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Baditude I see your concerns and the make perfect since I guess I was just drawn to the mech builds for ”for the cool”
factor” but looking again adding all the cool is adding up to more than an svd KIT would cost. Plus how cool would I lore vaping through a holes in my face right

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Baditude I see your concerns and the make perfect since I guess I was just drawn to the mech builds for ”for the cool”
factor” but looking again adding all the cool is adding up to more than an svd KIT would cost. Plus how cool would I lore vaping through a holes in my face right

ExplodingCigar.jpg ...........

rygen87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread