Panic attacks three weeks after quitting advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Hi all,

I'm a bit concerned. I'm getting panic attacks that just wash through me like a wave for no apparent reason. I was fine up till a couple of days ago. Last night when I went to bed I was in a terrible state and can't explain what's making me panic or what it is I'm scared of.

I seem to remember reading something happened after three weeks quitting cigarettes where certain chemicals from tobacco start to leave your body could that be what I am experiencing?

I thought it might be from too much nicotine. I was vaping 24mg quite heavily for a few days before this happened and I wonder if that contributed to it. I've been on an 18mg liquid today and I still don't feel right though I doubt it would change that quick if nicotine was in fact the problem.

I'm at a loss. I accept it may not be related to quitting cigs or vaping, I have a couple of things on my mind, I just wanted to know if this is a typical experience in the early stages of stopping cigarettes.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I hate to hear that news SS. I didnt experience any of that myself. I would go straight to the doctor to have myself checked out. Can you readily do that on the spur of the moment in the UK ? Your in the UK right. Meaning that I heard you have to wait a while for an appt in the UK ( dont know if thats true)

Last edited:

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Something similar happened to me at six weeks, but was more anxiety rather than panic attacks.

I found my answer from WTA liquids. I vaped only this eliquid for a week and my attacks subsided. Now I usually only vape it in the mornings and then switch over to all the other eliquids I have, and it seems to be working keeping me sane, as I have not had any more attacks since.

WholeCig

Mushroomie

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Crystal, MN USA
I am a person that has anxiety issues and if I were you I would go to the doctor and see if anything is going on. I didn't have any panic attacks but I am on only day 4 of quitting analogs but I have been vaping over a month now and maybe smoking a couple analogs a day. Just to get my money back. Don't let the gerbils in your head take over. I hope your going to be Okay! Hang in There!

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
I went through a sort of panic when I tossed out my last pack of cigs. I tried keeping a partially full pack of cigs, but I just smoked them. So, I now keep an empty pack in my nightstand. I carry around my vape all the time like a comfort blanket. Having experienced truly diagnosed anxiety throughout my lifetime, I would suggest seeing someone also, but am aware that is not always the easiest thing to do. Just know that if it is truly panic, the feeling will pass. Perhaps you are feeling out of your element or overwhelmed with the change from smoking to vaping. All understandable.

24 mg nic is pretty high. I have never done more than 18mg and that was a bit much for me, causing a bit of nervousness and stomach upset. Maybe back down to 12. Remind yourself that this is your choice and you are in control, not the analogs or the vape.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I didn't even notice that you were in UK. Here's another vendor that sells WTA liquids:
Aroma Ejuice Manufacturer of WTA Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Eliquid

WTA = Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. I'm not an expert, so I may not be able to explain it well, but nicotine is only one alkaloid in tobacco. There are others that may act as MAIO inhibitors, so when some people switch from cigs to e-cigs, they may find they need the other alkaloids too.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
This can be a tough one to sort out.

First, what's going on? Is this a sudden onset, feeling overwhelmed by things like a rapid heart rate, a sense of dizziness, feeling like you just have to get up and leave if you are out and about, irrational feelings of fear, impossible to concentrate on anything other than the attack? And it all peaks and it's over and done in a matter of minutes? (Although you think it was going on for a lot longer than that.) That would be a panic attack.

If this is more a sense of physical body sensations of anxiety (versus all the mental stuff going on during a panic attack) , that escalates through the day as you go along vaping, - like a really bad case of caffeine jitters - that could be too much nicotine. That happens to some people it seems very shortly after they start vaping for some reason and they start dropping their nic level. Some times drastically. You may want to drop to even 12 mg and see if that feels any different.

Also, as you have got further into vaping some things may have changed you didn't even notice: Your vaping technique changed or improved. You picked up the pace and are vaping more than when you first started. (Most people do.) Any idea if you recently started using more liquids? Just another aspect as to why a drop in nic level may be needed.

Or it could be a combination of both: Excess nicotine giving you that physiological sensation of anxiety, acting as a trigger for a panic attack. If you are having a panic disorder kind of thing going on here, a lot of panic attacks are triggered by the most mundane body sensations.

Lastly, smoking screws with your endocrine system - smoking suppresses it. There are a small number of people who have real problems with this when they quit smoking. I don't know if this could be a cause for panic symptoms. It is a reason why some people put on a pretty significant amount of weight, despite no real change in their eating habits.

Try to get yourself scheduled ASAP to get checked out. In the mean time I would definitely drop your nic level even lower, down to 12 mg and see how that feels. At least that you can do right away.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Lastly, smoking screws with your endocrine system - smoking suppresses it. There are a small number of people who have real problems with this when they quit smoking. ... It is a reason why some people put on a pretty significant amount of weight, despite no real change in their eating habits.

Huh. I was wondering why I have put on 20 lbs the last six months when I'm not eating/snacking any differently. I thought I wouldn't gain weight this time like I did all the other times I quit and did food as a replacement. Thanks, I'm gonna look into this further.

ETA: I am and always have been a total couch potato. Guess now that I actually have the energy to do so, I should start exercising. Ugh.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
This can be a tough one to sort out.

First, what's going on? Is this a sudden onset, feeling overwhelmed by things like a rapid heart rate, a sense of dizziness, feeling like you just have to get up and leave if you are out and about, irrational feelings of fear, impossible to concentrate on anything other than the attack? And it all peaks and it's over and done in a matter of minutes? (Although you think it was going on for a lot longer than that.) That would be a panic attack.

If this is more a sense of physical body sensations of anxiety (versus all the mental stuff going on during a panic attack) , that escalates through the day as you go along vaping, - like a really bad case of caffeine jitters - that could be too much nicotine. That happens to some people it seems very shortly after they start vaping for some reason and they start dropping their nic level. Some times drastically. You may want to drop to even 12 mg and see if that feels any different.

Also, as you have got further into vaping some things may have changed you didn't even notice: Your vaping technique changed or improved. You picked up the pace and are vaping more than when you first started. (Most people do.) Any idea if you recently started using more liquids? Just another aspect as to why a drop in nic level may be needed.

Or it could be a combination of both: Excess nicotine giving you that physiological sensation of anxiety, acting as a trigger for a panic attack. If you are having a panic disorder kind of thing going on here, a lot of panic attacks are triggered by the most mundane body sensations.

Lastly, smoking screws with your endocrine system - smoking suppresses it. There are a small number of people who have real problems with this when they quit smoking. I don't know if this could be a cause for panic symptoms. It is a reason why some people put on a pretty significant amount of weight, despite no real change in their eating habits.

Try to get yourself scheduled ASAP to get checked out. In the mean time I would definitely drop your nic level even lower, down to 12 mg and see how that feels. At least that you can do right away.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding, I'll answer your points as you raised them...

I would say irrational feeling of fear is the best description, like I'm suddenly scared something bad is going to happen even though there's no explanation for it.

It's not isolated and then over in a matter of minutes it comes on and off all through the day and last night it was just terrible. I was actually shaking with fear, convinced something terrible was going to happen. And just waves of panic sort of washing over me then subsiding then coming back. It hasn't been as bad today since I got up but it's still there.

I definitely have picked up the pace and I'm vaping more now than when I started. I was surprised when I started that everyone said they vape 3 mls a day (well a lot of people) and I was on half that. Now I am on at least that, maybe more. And before today I was vaping 24mg liquid all night and sometimes in the day.

I'll try dropping nic levels even lower. I'm on such high nic because I smoked more than 25 a day (sometimes a lot more at weekends) for 35 years so low nic is hard for me it doesn't do much really.

Thanks for your advice, and to everyone else too I really do appreciate it, feeling kind of lost at the moment.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Hi Rick,

I would say irrational feeling of fear is the best description, like I'm suddenly scared something bad is going to happen even though there's no explanation for it.

It's not isolated and then over in a matter of minutes it comes on and off all through the day and last night it was just terrible. I was actually shaking with fear, convinced something terrible was going to happen. And just waves of panic sort of washing over me then subsiding then coming back. It hasn't been as bad today since I got up but it's still there.

I definitely have picked up the pace and I'm vaping more now than when I started. I was surprised when I started that everyone said they vape 3 mls a day (well a lot of people) and I was on half that. Now I am on at least that, maybe more. And before today I was vaping 24mg liquid all night and sometimes in the day.

I'll try dropping nic levels even lower. I'm on such high nic because I smoked more than 25 a day (sometimes a lot more at weekends) for 35 years so low nic is hard for me it doesn't do much really.

Thanks for your advice, and to everyone else too I really do appreciate it, feeling kind of lost at the moment.

Nicotine is a strange substance. It can act as both a stimulant and a depressive. You may just be ingesting too much. You might find drinking some kava tea or other type herbal tea that helps nerves until you can see your doctor.

Last edited:

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Some good posts here.

Based upon what I've read, I'd second the notion of considering WTA liquids. In my opinion, nicotine-replacement is ineffective for many. Traditional e-cig use fits that bill, except for the fact that it physically emulates smoking, which gives it a much better success rate than the others.

By not excluding the ~5% minor alkaloids in the tobacco's alkaloid profile, you get the MAOI effects that some miss terribly when trying to switch. Some supplement e-cigs with snus, or maybe try something like CigRx, and have success. WTA would probably work for them.

Rickajho is right in that smoking cessation can have some very unexpected effects for some people. It does also sound like the nic dosage may be too high, IMO.

Some find that WTA works for them better at a lower dosage than nicotine does. Personally, nicotine does little for me without the other alkaloids. May as well just drink caffeine.

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
Hi all,

I'm a bit concerned. I'm getting panic attacks that just wash through me like a wave for no apparent reason. I was fine up till a couple of days ago. Last night when I went to bed I was in a terrible state and can't explain what's making me panic or what it is I'm scared of.

I seem to remember reading something happened after three weeks quitting cigarettes where certain chemicals from tobacco start to leave your body could that be what I am experiencing?

I thought it might be from too much nicotine. I was vaping 24mg quite heavily for a few days before this happened and I wonder if that contributed to it. I've been on an 18mg liquid today and I still don't feel right though I doubt it would change that quick if nicotine was in fact the problem.

I'm at a loss. I accept it may not be related to quitting cigs or vaping, I have a couple of things on my mind, I just wanted to know if this is a typical experience in the early stages of stopping cigarettes.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

That was the main reason I went back to cigarettes the 1st time.

Then, a year ago, I heard of a new nicotine liquid, made with WTA. This is where I get it, Whole Tobacco Alkaloid WTA Eliquid Ejuice. It does cost more, but WELL worth it, IMO. I quit smoking, and had no more panic attacks, or fuzzy thinking.

Full strength gave me a light-headed feeling, so I mixed it 50/50 with regular liquid and got a more natural "smoking" feeling. Over the last 16 months, I have lowered the amount of WTA in my mixes to 1 part WTA infused liquid into 4 parts regular nicotine liquid. It has kept the panic attacks and fuzzy thinking in check.

I follow several threads, here at ECF, about WTA.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...280282-how-wta-aroma-ejuice-make-me-feel.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/aroma-ejuice/397599-thanks-wta.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...co-alkaloid-wta-users-experience-insight.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...45523-why-wta-such-controversial-subject.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-alkaloid-wta-now-available-aroma-ejuice.html

Sorry about being so long-winded, but I totally credit WTA for saving me from cigarettes.

I hope you find the answer to your problem.

P.S. There are other alternatives, with WTA's present in them. Snus, snuff, and dissolveables like Stonewalls. This is where I get info on those, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...er-your-lip-your-nose-right-now-part-2-a.html

:) :vapor: :2c:

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I had a very similar experience at about 6 weeks or so. Not full fledged attacks, but AWFUL anxiety and deep depression - I'm pretty sure that cigs have other chemicals in them that may stabilize mood to some degree. That lasted about a week and a half. I dropped my nic from 18 to 12 and that helped a lot. I pretty much white knuckled it until things stabilized. It took several weeks for me to feel completely better. It'll get better, just give it some time. That's just one more reason I hate BT, rotten .......s. I wonder if some of the people that have a hard time on chantix are experiencing similar withdrawal from the chemicals in cigs...

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Thanks again for the replies. I feel I should explain something. I have tried a few times to lower my nic and starter vaping 18mg during the day. The thing is, I find myself chain vaping at that level where with 24 I can stop for a while, kind of like when I was smoking cigarettes. At 12 ml I would probably be vaping non stop lol.

My point is, if lowering nic level means you vape more surely you end up with the same nicotine intake in the end?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi Rick,

Hi again

At 24 mg that's a lot of liquid to go through in one day. That may very well be the underlying cause of what's going on here. Over two years in I still use 24 mg stuff, but if I get up into the 3+ ml per day range that makes me feel "punchy" too - like caffeine jitters - and can trigger palpitations even.

You may want to take a read through here, but don't scare yourself either => http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3305-list-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

We will fix you as best we can. :D But as always the standard disclaimer applies: If you believe you have a serious medical problem going on get thee to a health care professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread