parallel mech mod battery doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luisardo

Apr 22, 2019
Hello! I was thinking about building my first mech mod in parallel and I have a question about how to know when I should stop vaping? for example, I have a mod in series that when the batteries reach 3.2v I stop using them and charge them ... but with a mod in parallel when should I stop using the battery to prevent stress? I was thinking about putting an amp meter, I do not know what numbers are too low to stop using ... my construction would be with 2 batteries Molicel P26A

• Optimistic
Reactions: F-machine

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The batteries may not drain equally in a multiple battery mod, regardless of whether the mech is a series or parallel. I would use the same rule of thumb: Exchange the batteries when the battery with the lowest voltage is between 3.2 - 3.4 volts. That is the voltage range that most regulated mods stop working.

How are you checking your battery voltage? If you don't have one, a voltage tester could be handy. The device screws onto 510 connector; press the fire button and you get the battery voltage.

Many chargers with a display also tell you the battery voltage.

voltage-tester.png

Batteries should be "married". Don't mix batteries. Pair them up when new; same model and manufacturer. This way the batteries will age together and remain equal in performance.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, I have a mechanical mod in series with a voltmeter that I install, I am familiar with that but, in a parallel mod the voltage is the same and the amperage varies
If I were you, I'd remove the batteries and check the battery voltage in a charger that reads voltage output. I realize this would be inconvenient, but I don't know an easier or more accurate way to measure the voltage when using a parallel mod.

VP4_11__29839.1410827667.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: F-machine

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Yes, I have a mechanical mod in series with a voltmeter that I install, I am familiar with that but, in a parallel mod the voltage is the same and the amperage varies

That depends how you define 'the voltage is the same.' In parallel, the voltage of the two parallel batteries is the same as the voltage of a single battery. However, the voltage of both batteries changes as they're discharged. Fully charged 18650s are at 4.2 volts. That means:

Fully charged single battery: 4.2 volts
Fully charged - two parallel batteries: 4.2 volts
Fully charged - two series batteries: 8.4 volts

But, however you combine them, the batteries' voltage will drop as they're discharged. So when it's time to charge:

Single battery, time to charge: 3.2 volts
Two parallel batteries, time to charge: 3.2 volts
Two series batteries, time to charge: 6.4 volts

Luisardo

Apr 22, 2019
That depends how you define 'the voltage is the same.' In parallel, the voltage of the two parallel batteries is the same as the voltage of a single battery. However, the voltage of both batteries changes as they're discharged. Fully charged 18650s are at 4.2 volts. That means:

Fully charged single battery: 4.2 volts
Fully charged - two parallel batteries: 4.2 volts
Fully charged - two series batteries: 8.4 volts

But, however you combine them, the batteries' voltage will drop as they're discharged. So when it's time to charge:

Single battery, time to charge: 3.2 volts
Two parallel batteries, time to charge: 3.2 volts
Two series batteries, time to charge: 6.4 volts
I see, my problem was not how to read the voltage that is very easy ... my problem was that I did not know when the amperage is very low but now I understand ... thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread