Petition Hollywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I think one of the best ways to spread the word about vaping is through Hollywood. Last night I watched Machete Kills and was thinking for such a film supposedly set in a futuristic America, why were people still smoking analogs instead of vaping? If vaping was featured prominently in even a single popular film, it would spread the word to the masses. I mean, how many people have seen or will eventually see the newest Superman film: just about everyone. We need to petition Hollywood to accept the fact that vaping is the future and to portray the future realistically by depicting "smokers" in the future as "vapers" instead.

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
i dunno, the mindset of some of the people against vaping is pretty out there...if vaping were in the new Superman film, someone would probably reach the conclusion that all the destruction was caused by people that vape.

Krypton asploded because of vapors! then Superman and other Kryptonians....Kryptonans...Kryptonitians....the aliens came to Earth and almost destroyed Metropolis! coincidence?!? Vapors blow up planets!

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
i dunno, the mindset of some of the people against vaping is pretty out there...if vaping were in the new Superman film, someone would probably reach the conclusion that all the destruction was caused by people that vape.

Krypton asploded because of vapors! then Superman and other Kryptonians....Kryptonans...Kryptonitians....the aliens came to Earth and almost destroyed Metropolis! coincidence?!? Vapors blow up planets!

Well I just used Superman as an example of how far reaching a film could be. I don't know if there was any "smoking" at all featured in Superman; doubt it. But a Woody Allen film. Or the next buddy cop film. Or a romantic comedy. Or a space adventure in which the hard boiled hero vapes instead of smokes. I think creative, intelligent people recognize vaping for what it is, and the world of screenwriters is composed of creative, intelligent people for the most part.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
It's an interesting idea. But it would only work if, like wheez points out, the good guys are the ones vaping and the bad guys are the ones smoking.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Hollywood uses product placement in all sorts of ways. If the bad guy is drinking a Corona it still advertises Corona and people don't think in their minds Corona is evil and the cause of destruction. People in general know a film is a film and even if it's the bad guy vaping, they will go away wondering what the heck the bad guy was "smoking" and they will eventually look into it to find out.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: Off topic

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
If George Clooney depicted a charactor that couldn't keep his finger out of his nose would nose picking in public become more acceptable?

I'm sure that to many vaping may be considered equally gross. But I really have no idea what goes on in peoples brains.

No, but come on, that's a bad example. If George Clooney was driving the new car model or if George Clooney was wearing next year's style of clothing or if George Clooney was vaping a Blu, are you really telling me people wouldn't want to be like George Clooney. Trust me, Hollywood DOES know what goes on in the minds of people. They hire product placement people who are paid to know that stuff.

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
It was purposely a bad example but not pointless. I think your idea is fine but I feel that my bad example helps to illustrate what we might be up against.

Well I just disagree that people think vaping is gross in the first place or that people in any way would think it's comparible to picking your nose. Films and TV shows depict smoking quite frequently. Why would depicting vaping be any grosser than depicting smoking? That's just a huge assumption that is baseless in my opinion. With all due respect.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
heath%2Bas%2Bjoker.jpeg

just sayin'...

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
heath%2Bas%2Bjoker.jpeg

just sayin'...

Yeah but if the Joker was smoking Kools do you really think people would stop smoking Kools because of it? And you'd be surprised at how many people relate to the "bad guy". Didn't you sort of like Jack Nicholson in The Departed? He was the bad guy but he was still a rather likeable character.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I agree and I think it's an excellent idea.....
We know there are some Hollywood types lurking in these forums..........;-)

I would extend that to television shows as well. I'd like to see Carry from Homeland take a vape and chill out, honestly. Or Will McAvoy do a segment about it on The Newsroom.

Last edited:

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
  • Deleted by Caridwen

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
How about well known major league baseball pitchers scratching their crotches as an example then. Stealth pocket pool comes to mind.

OK. I just don't know where you are coming from. Why are you comparing vaping to picking your nose and scratching your crotch? Do you think of it like that? Do you think other people see it like that and if so, why do you think that--have people told you that's the way they feel. I honestly don't know from what direction you are coming from in your line of reasoning.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
  • Deleted by Caridwen

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
  • Deleted by Caridwen

Sundodger

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2013
All 57 States
Oh, oh, a remake of Waterworld, here come the vapors!!!
I can see Bogart noticing Bacall trying to vape while her battery is blinking yellow, he coyly walk up, opens his suit jacket revealing multiple pockets with numerous liquids and batteries, he reaches in and offers a charged battery. Love at first vape!
Up in Vape, better stay away from that one.
John Wayne in a tee-pee vaping on a peace PV.
O boy, we could have fun with this one.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
You do have a point. Hollywood does tend to bring attention and help to desensitize the general public to issues. Just take Ellen Degeneres and her TV sitcom. When she came out in that show it was groundbreaking. It lead to having more gays on TV, essentially desensitizing the general public and allowing gays to be more accepted.

Hollywood can be a powerful tool.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
  • Deleted by Caridwen

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Oh, oh, a remake of Waterworld, here come the vapors!!!
I can see Bogart noticing Bacall trying to vape while her battery is blinking yellow, he coyly walk up, opens his suit jacket revealing multiple pockets with numerous liquids and batteries, he reaches in and offers a charged battery. Love at first vape!
Up in Vape, better stay away from that one.
John Wayne in a tee-pee vaping on a peace PV.
O boy, we could have fun with this one.

A sequel to Smoke with Harvey Keitel vaping (another great 'bad guy' actor--Bad Lieutenant, the baddest of the bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread