Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Ok, so now that we have the minimum and are going for more... (YAY!!!!)

who do we contact to make sure that the people responsible for writing the response have access to ALL of the information and research about e-cigs? We need to contact them and give them supporting information so that they don't just write a knee jerk response based on the discredited FDA study.

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
Petition Link

Cool... we reached the minimum. We need to continue the push for more signature participation to "guard against technicalities" that might negate a response.

That said, we can converse some while we push right? Rather than speculate about the expected response, I'd just like to point out it 'appears' that while we're an intense group here, our real numbers remain small (growing, but small), and our ability to "go viral" is very much in its infancy. Whether or not folks are in agreement with the content/approach of the petition, support for the cause & plain old outcome-curiosity ought to be enough to have people signing. It also might 'appear' that the vast, VAST majority of vapers don't spend time on FB, Twitter, YouTube, ECF, or on-line in general. Just some unsolicited observation included in yet another thread-bump...

Petition Link

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It also might 'appear' that the vast, VAST majority of vapers don't spend time on FB, Twitter, YouTube, ECF, or on-line in general. Just some unsolicited observation included in yet another thread-bump...
Well, our demographic is a bit heavy on those with a lot of life experience.
But perhaps not as much social media experience?

I have never been on Facebook, I have never twit, and I only watch YouTube when someone posts a link to something.
And I am only 45 years old, so...
:)

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
Petition Link

I have never been on Facebook, I have never twit, and I only watch YouTube when someone posts a link to something.

No argument (I'm 51). Also, a large number of vapers came to it via direct sales - mall kiosks and the like. Those successful retailers aren't sending their customers on-line as it would be counterproductive to their businesses. The few vapers I've personally met in my travels have ALL been cig-size (Smoke51, nJoy, SE, etc.) users & happy with them, and - if I may - they think my button activated fat-batt and/or e-pipe is aesthetically unacceptable. They're unaware of online sales, or leery of buying product online - especially juice - so those people won't be reached via the interwebz. They're happy to have quit smoking and figure to eventually quit vaping too. We committed vapers, hobbyists, & advocates are in the minority.

Petition Link

ETA: 5,031 at this time... More please...!

Last edited:

rschauer

Aug 28, 2011
Dubuque, IA
No argument (I'm 51). Also, a large number of vapers came to it via direct sales - mall kiosks and the like. Those successful retailers aren't sending their customers on-line as it would be counterproductive to their businesses. The few vapers I've personally met in my travels have ALL been cig-size (Smoke51, nJoy, SE, etc.) users & happy with them, and - if I may - they think my button activated fat-batt and/or e-pipe is aesthetically unacceptable. They're unaware of online sales, or leery of buying product online - especially juice - so those people won't be reached via the interwebz. They're happy to have quit smoking and figure to eventually quit vaping too. We committed vapers, hobbyists, & advocates are in the minority.

I think you hit it on the head with this one. To add to that, I myself have run into a number of people who tried an e-cig (Smoke51 is the only one you could get locally around here) and didn't care for it. I'm thinking that most people who don't spend a lot of time online just don't know about the "good" ones that may work better for them. So even if one of them did see a link to a petition on their Twitter/FB, they would be more likely to ignore it since it doesn't affect them directly.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

It's never too late, DC2. I'm 65 and I am on FaceBook and Twitter, and I watch YouTube when I need to look up how to do something (dance instruction, how to change the rear brake pads on a Saturn, etc.). Of course, when someone on ECF posts a link, I usually have a look-see as well.

BTW, the verb is "tweet" (as is the noun). He tweeted about the meeting. He sent a tweet.

Twit is a noun, meaning a foolish or silly person.

dskarpus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Manhattan Upper West Side
In the last 2 1/2 years i have been vaping I have never encountered another on the street. Of course outside of meetings. I live on the Upper West Side in Manhattan. The last vaper I saw was on the "Prime Suspect" TV show. With the proliferation of forums there is no central clearinghouse. But I am going to Vapercon this weekend so maybe you'll be there. Look for me behind the Jameson's.

rschauer

Aug 28, 2011
Dubuque, IA
Just to make sure we're all clear on why "they may decide to dump some votes," as Grammie put it...

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petitions#!/how-why/terms-participation

Basically, if they believe any of the accounts that signed are in violation of any of the participation terms, they have reserved the right to delete those accounts. (They could even delete a whole petition just for having been signed by such accounts, but I think that's more of a CYA clause.) So yes, it's important that we get more in the event that any pruning takes place. Under the new thresholds, we would need 834 legitimate signatures every day, so it would be really tough to have to redo this!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/recognize-electronic-cigarettes-effective-alternative-smoking-and-support-job-creation-new-industry/57vtB0QK

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Twit is better than the word I really wanted to use...

A spitter spat, a sitter sat, a twitter.........
Yeah, couldn't go there.
;)

Unbelievably, a little while ago I worked a crossword puzzle. Guess what one of the answers was: "Twits."

(Twilight Zone Theme Song begins to play...)

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
bump it up!
Just to make sure we're all clear on why "they may decide to dump some votes," as Grammie put it...

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petitions#!/how-why/terms-participation

Basically, if they believe any of the accounts that signed are in violation of any of the participation terms, they have reserved the right to delete those accounts. (They could even delete a whole petition just for having been signed by such accounts, but I think that's more of a CYA clause.) So yes, it's important that we get more in the event that any pruning takes place. Under the new thresholds, we would need 834 legitimate signatures every day, so it would be really tough to have to redo this!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/recognize-electronic-cigarettes-effective-alternative-smoking-and-support-job-creation-new-industry/57vtB0QK

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
I just discovered this morning that the White House has opened up a system for creating petitions that the administration will consider for further action/ possible legislation. I created a petition for the administration to recognize e-cigarettes as an effective alternative to smoking. I think if we get some signatures on this we might actually get some attention. The administration itself has claimed that smoking costs the country $100 billion+ dollars each year in healthcare costs, as well as lost productivity from smoking related illness. E-cigarettes might very well bring those costs down, reducing our national deficit. Supporting this industry would also create jobs and bring production back to America.

Sign the petition here, and be sure to tell your fellow vapers to do the same!

+5000 (and counting) kudos to Smokingevolved for getting this ball rolling!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
You know, I'm going to miss this thread and coming up with correlations to the number of signers we still needed now that we need no more but want many more for impression purposes. How about a miles worth of signers now to represent each foot-

The bar has been raised! 227 to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread