Phoenix shorted out

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I have been having difficulty with a Phoenix atomizer. It has only very intermittently been working.

With the original coil in place, my cheap ohm meter (that really can't indicate the types of low resistances typical of a coil) showed a short between the two contacts on the battery connector, and also between the two screws. And since it wasn't working, I thought there was a short with the coil somehow contacting the perimeter.

After a while of effort, trying to adjust it to avoid the apparent short, I eventually gave up and removed the coil entirely. However, the short is still there. Though, one post shows less resistance. I am guessing there is a problem with the item itself. But, in reality, I have no experience with these things. So, I thought it best to check here to see what you all think I should be measuring.

I have heard that PG can absorb a substantial amount of H2O. If that occurs, does it become conductive? Is it possible that liquid is creating the short?

Joe Dunfee

One of the posts in one of my phoenixes comes out entirely under tension - I believe its the taller of the two posts (I retired them). I had to push it back into place regularly to get continuity, which was a pain. It wouldn't look amiss, but it'd be slightly out and the coil wouldn't go. shove it back in, presto chango working phoenix.

Hope you resolve it

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
One of the problems is that I don't know which post is positive, so that I don't know which post to give my attention. Is it the short or long one?
Thanks,
Joe Dunfee

For the sake of this discussion the short one is the positive post. If the plate it sits on moves/turns far enough it will make contact with the neg post causing your short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread