Please help me buy my first mod/apv!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyPanoz

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
Illinois
What's up everybody I'm really trying to keep my trigger finger from pullin before I get my hands on some good info. Basically I've been looking at getting a Vamo v3 from fasttech. I've been looking at their 59$ kit that comes with the Nitecore charger and Panasonic 18650's which seem to be the most legit combo that I've seen in a kit for that price. I'm upgrading from some halo g6's and a vv triton that i'll use as backup so I what I'm lost in now is the never ending work of "protanks" and "drip tips" "atomizers" "vivi nova"... my head is starting to spin here lol.... if anybody could lead me into good starting point for 510 connection stuff, or even a better beginning apv please let me know.. Thanks and god bless.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
The VAMO is a nice PV for the money.
I'd recommend you also consider building "your own kit" around the SVD. I think it's a little better built.
You could still get your batteries and charger from FTech, and get something like a ProTank to go on top. Similar total, but I think it's a better setup overall.

You also need to know it'll take a while!! China's on holiday next week, and packages are also being delayed by a postal service snafu - so you'll either wait like 2-3 weeks, or have to pay more here in the US!!

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
Love my newly acquired VAMO v3. That's a great deal on a VAMO. Its easy to use, and hits like a champ. Some don't like the ribbing but it actually makes it easier to handle IMO compared to an EVIC.

I would go with a Protank 2 (like I did :)) Has a tighter draw then the 1 and its easier to clean. More importantly it looks awesome on it.

EDIT: Pic is actually my Protank 1 - it looks pretty sweet on it too.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

ProScotty

Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Does the KIT come with batteries and proper battery charger?

I started with an eGO Battery, Kanger EVOD eGo Clearomizer, usb charger and small bottle of ejuice from local shop and it came out around $38 for EVERYTHING. It was a good intro to vaping. I ended up buying the longer eGO Battery but prefer the shorter one.

I just received my VAMO 3, ProTank, 2 2600mAh batteries, LUC Charger, and 5 pack of coils..... for a total of $132.

It works great.... however, even though I watched several uTube videos and seen multiple images of the VAMO3.... I did not realize exactly HOW big it is. I am sure the web site had dimensions but I never put 2 and 2 together. IT's HUGE. Probably use my little guy for work and my nice VAMO3 at home.

My Advice: Start small and cheap. EVERYONE has different preferences. If you are going from Analogs to PV, the weight and size of the smaller ones will take some getting used to. Going up to the larger ones, like the VAMO3 will be a BIGGER adjustment because of the size and weight.

Enjoy and Good Luck

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
mikey - that's a good kit. i've never ordered it (already have batts and a charger), but i know several people who have, and all of them highly recommend it.

the vamo v3 (or any vamo, for that matter) is an excellent first apv. it's one of the most functional and easy to use apv's on the market, regardless of price.

furthermore, the charger and batteries that come with the kit are excellent. these are two things you definitely do not want to skimp on, so it's great that fasttech actually bundles good ones with the vamo.

if you're already leaning in this direction (it sounds like you are), i'd say go for it. somebody mentioned a chinese holiday, so i don't know how long the shipping will take, but you won't be disappointed by the product itself.

MikeyPanoz

Verified Member
May 25, 2013
Illinois
Thanks you thank you thank you for all the input!!!! someone has mentioned the Innokin SVD to me and i'm actually starting to lean in that direction. I've bundled some stuff together for around 100$ that includes 2 iclear 30's and 5 coil heads, 2 Panasonic 18650B 3400 mah batteries, and a nitecore charger. I'm still doing my research and looking around though so everything helps!! thanks everybody and godbless.

DorsaiMaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
Welcome to ECF! I have the Innokin SVD and the VAMO V2. I like them both, but I find the SVD to be a bit more sturdy feeling than my Vamo. That may just be impression only because that Vamo is by no means fragile. I like them both. I have the kanger protanks and iClear 30;s as well. I find I like them at different times throughout the day. They both vape a bit differently, but they are consistent. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Innokin_iTaste_MVP.jpg MVP V2.jpg

I'll go against the popular vote above and nominate an Innokin iTaste MVP. A small box mod with a 2 - 3 day built-in rechargeable battery. Looks classy, not like a something from a head shop or a woman's play toy. It's comfortable to hold and fits easily anywhere a smart phone can go. In fact, the battery is strong enough to recharge your cell phone or iPod. Sturdy construction. Takes both eGo and 510 connections. Kit comes with USB charging cord and an iClear 30 dual-coil clearomizer or two iClear 16 dual coil clearomizers.

I had the first version which only has variable voltage (actually that's all you need) and enjoyed using it daily along with my Mini Provari. I got mine for free in a raffle, so I've lended mine out to a friend trying to quit smoking. I miss it. I believe these are going for around $50 now.

The second version has variable wattage added and an ohm meter for about $20 more.

Last edited:

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
I initially wanted to go with a Halo Triton, but went straight for a VV Mod. Your Halo stuff is 808, but you can buy an adapter to use them with 510 stuff. Your budget will determine your choices. I had the scratch, so I got a Provari. If I were looking for something in the sub $100 range, The popular choices are zmax, svd, vamo, and Tesla. I have no experience with any of those, sorry. Good luck in your quest.

deanthemachine

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
OKC, OK
I'll go against the popular vote above and nominate an Innokin iTaste MVP. A small box mod with a 2 - 3 day built-in rechargeable battery. Looks classy, not like a something from a head shop or a woman's play toy. It's comfortable to hold and fits easily anywhere a smart phone can go. In fact, the battery is strong enough to recharge your cell phone or iPod. Sturdy construction. Takes both eGo and 510 connections. Kit comes with USB charging cord and an iClear 30 dual-coil clearomizer or two iClear 16 dual coil clearomizers.I had the first version which only has variable voltage (actually that's all you need) and enjoyed using it daily along with my Mini Provari. I got mine for free in a raffle, so I've lended mine out to a friend trying to quit smoking. I miss it. I believe these are going for around $50 now.The second version has variable wattage added and an ohm meter for about $20 more.
I love my itaste mvp. Great power and unmatched battery life. As far as the woman's toy, I am just glad my vamo doesn't vibrate or I would be fighting my wife for it..

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I just picked up a Zmax 3 telescoping and it has been great easy to use and depending on battery size can be a very small mod. I would also suggest looking into the aspire line of tanks...have a protank 2 that I thought was pretty good until I used one now im disappointed in the taste I get with it.

Sigelei Zmax V3 also has native ego threading, so protanks, EVODs etc. work great on it, along with any 510 threaded devices.
In 18350 mode it's real nice and small, in 18490 or 18650 mode, larger but lasts all day

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I love my itaste mvp. Great power and unmatched battery life. As far as the woman's toy, I am just glad my vamo doesn't vibrate or I would be fighting my wife for it..
The ONLY problem I see with the iTaste MVP is the non-removable Li Ion Polymer battery...once they go kaput...you gotta crack it open and replace by un-soldering or whatever...my Vamo V3...battery goes kaput..I just slap a new battery in it...however with that said...I am so wanting to get a MVP 2.0...it is one of a handful few APV's that does USB passthru (unless you pay that HUGE chunk of money for the addon to the stock Provari), and how many can say they can actually charge their phone or whatever with a Provari..pllffft

dailywalker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Fantastica
I recommend the SVD. I use 1 18650 battery in my SVD it works like a champ. I don't have the extension tube. I just bought the mod by itself. I am bias but I love my SVD. I even have a second one still in the box for a backup. They are very well made. I haven't had any trouble with the SVD. If you order it I doubt you will be sorry you did. The SVD I would recommend to anyone who is on a budget and is looking for a quality built mod. YMMV

My Husbands SVD kit has been sitting in Hong Kong post for a week on Friday. I would think shipping isn't going to very fast from FastTech. No rush though its his backup. Good luck.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Did you get the SVD from FastTech?
If so, it's the "long tube" which can take 18350. 18500 or 18650 - it's telescopic.
There IS a "short tube" but it's kinda hard to find (and personally, I don't get the point...).

Thanks for all the help everyone! really appreciate it. Can anybody tell me if the SVD can hold 18650 batteries without the extension tube? I decided to go with the SVD but I just bought the tube and some 18650's so I really hope they fit.

electrogeek13

Verified Member
Sep 27, 2013
Pennsylvania USA
Hello i am also a big fan of the SVD. I have owned the SVD and a nitecore charger for over a month now with absolutely no problems at all! The SVD is good solid stainless and has been dropped at least 5 times, and rides unprotected in my pocket all day barley scratched. The nitecore charger is really well built and has never ever given any indication of malfunction, i actually let batteries charge while i sleep (LIMN batts of course!).

The only problem i have with the SVD is that the threads can sometimes get dirty and have a scratchy feel to them. A quick hand soap and toothbrush treatment fixes this right up! Also the chrome plating on the negative battery cap is starting to wear off a tiny bit, but i also abuse the hell out of it!

I think you will be happy with this mod, the only thing i recommend otherwise is for batteries. FT is having problems with their battery shipping right now also like previously said. I use efest batts and they have treated me very well. They have genuine ones on ebay for pretty cheap. When shopping for batteries check out the flashlight forums, those guys LOVE their batteries and there are usually test charts posted by members!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread