Not open for further replies.

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
So,

I'm testing some porous ceramic wicking material, 8micron hole size ~45% open space.

First tests involved comparisons between a 6mm diameter rolled wick of 500x500 SS mesh, twill weave, .025mm wire diameter side by side with the aforementioned ceramic, same length, but 6mm x 6mm squared (best I could do for the moment)

The ceramic seemed to wick slower at first but it turns out the mesh was only 'appearing' to wick faster visually because the outside wicked faster than the inside so it appeared wet. after noticing this I put them in separate containers with equal levels of PG and inserted them at the same time, the fluid levels in both containers dropped very evenly over the same span of time. The ceramic does appear to wick slightly slower but more evenly. The ceramic appears wet on the outside and when the PG reached the top, the entire top appeared wet at the same time, with the SS mesh, moisture showed up at the top of the wick in a couple of spots and then spread out unevenly across the top. This makes sense due to the fact that this mesh is pretty uniform as far as porosity throughout the entire volume of material whereas the mesh is uniform while flat but we then roll it up which changes things quite a bit, distorts the mesh pattern and creates some spots that are tighter porosity, others that are larger, etc.

One thing that was unrelated to comparing SS to ceramic but that I found interesting... I did some wicking tests a while back with some 2.5mm wicks made out of 325, 400, and 500 mesh and the 6mm wick pulled liquid up WAY faster. I'm going ot be prototyping a few fat wick RBAs in the near future.

If anyone else is out there working with porous ceramic, please feel free to pop in with your results.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I've heard that porous ceramic works well but for a limited amount of time. My theory on this is that it clogs with whatever the "gunk"(that collects on coils) is. Porous ceramic is often used as a microbial filter and once filled I'm not certain it can be repurposed. I'm just free thinking here. I'm sure something is out there about it if researched. It sounds like the pore size and/or amount your using is probably flushable though. I know that eventually my ss mesh gets clogged(usually on the outside) and then I just torch it clean. The ash left behind is minute but still there. Outside can be rinsed off but it's probably building up inside. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has used an ss mesh til it would absolutely wick no more.
I will be following with interest :) thanx for sharing. Oh and you should see this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xF1eGJHFo

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
I'm still working on balancing the pore size to material density.

Smaller pore size clogs up faster and doesn't really give enough benefit in wicking speedt o make up for it.

6mm wicks take a lil while to warm at the moment, messing with some other configurations.

as for cleaning, ultrasonic works great. some ceramic wicks aren't meant to be cleaned, my source is specifically meant to be cleaned due to it's "normal" applications. Some of this has been put on hold for another project but I'll report back when I get back into testing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread