Possible loss of potency w/ DIY supplies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
For my 1st DIY order, I decided to go w/ 60mg nic. PG base, and I ordered 120mL. I was considering 100mg, but I didn't really see a need to, other than saving some cents. My intention was to mix it w/ 120mL more PG & 60mL of VG, for a strength of 24mg at an 80/20 ratio. Then I can add upwards of 20% flavoring w/ a final nic. strength of 19mg or so. If I use less flavor it'd be a little stronger, but I wanted to experiment w/ adding extra amounts of VG anyways.

Now this puts my potential production at around 350 mL, which is a LOT for me. Me and my bro currently go thru about 2 mL a day between us, so that's potentially 6 months worth of juice. I plan on using drippers and BCC's eventually, so I'm sure my consumption is gonna go up when I'm making my own juice for cheap. But even if it only lasts 3 months, could a main batch of unflavored mix start to lose potency or taste bad after this amount of time?

Since I've read about ppl freezing their nic. base, that's something I'm now considering. I could take 1/4 of my nic. and make 75mL of unflavored mix, which would be a solid month's worth, and freeze the other 90mL. Then at least I kno for sure that in a month, I'm still making full strength juice. But then again, if a 300mL batch of unflavored mix wouldn't be a problem lasting a good 4-5 months, then I may just rather do that.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
As long as you keep the bulk of it inside the fridge/freezer you should be fine. Keep in mind higher potency nic will oxidize faster. So by cutting it down (especially 100MG) you are actually better off. You easily have a year to use it up and possibly more so cut it don't cut it whatever you want to do would be fine.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
Yea I only got 60mg strength, which kind of minimizes my need to freeze it due to oxidation. But I wouldn't want to make my whole unflavored batch of 300 mL, and find that after a couple months it's starting to weaken, discolor, or just not be so great anymore. I wasn't planning on refrigerating or doing anything too precautionary w/ my main batch, but it is gonna frequently be dipped into, for 5-10 mL's when I'm making new creations.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Yea I only got 60mg strength, which kind of minimizes my need to freeze it due to oxidation. But I wouldn't want to make my whole unflavored batch of 300 mL, and find that after a couple months it's starting to weaken, discolor, or just not be so great anymore. I wasn't planning on refrigerating or doing anything too precautionary w/ my main batch, but it is gonna frequently be dipped into, for 5-10 mL's when I'm making new creations.

What I did with my 120ml bottle is broke it up into smaller bottles, 2 30ml and 1 60ml, that way I only have to take one of the 30ml bottles out of the freezer to work with it and leave the rest alone. From what I understand it will last a lot longer in the freezer. I don't think a couple of months will do any harm to it.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
Breaking it up into smaller increments seems like the way to go, esp. w/ it being my 1st time DIY'ing. I think I'll just take 1/4 of my nic. base to make the unflavored batch, and freeze the rest. I'm gonna be dipping into the unflavored stuff a lot, and I wouldn't wanna have such a large amount. That way if it does pick up contaminants or weaken, I still have most of it left untouched.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
In a cool dark place kept at a constant temperature (Such as a closet or cabinet) it will stay good for 18 months. In a freezer 3 or more years (Likely closer to 5 years). Flavors and already made mixes you can't store in a refrigerator or freezer but nic base PG and VG you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread