Propylene Glycol and How I Made People's Fishing Trips A Little Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

phildo

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Iowa, USA
There is a lot of talk on this forum about the effects of propylene glycol in this forum, so I thought I would share my fairly extensive experience with this particular chemical with all of you.

For the better part of three years I spent 12 hours a day, usually 7 days a week practically bathing in the stuff. I've had gallons of it dumped on me, had it sprayed in my eyes and ears, I've drank it, I've inhaled it (albeit not in a heated vapor form while at work), I've worn it.

As a little tidbit of info...propylene glycol is used (among many uses) as a deicing agent for grounded aircraft in cold weather climates. Its a very effective antifreeze. The company I worked for used it for this specific property. I worked running injection molding machines where the molds where cooled to around -29 to -40 degrees F, making organic based biodegradable fishing bait. Propylene glycol was the choice product for use as a mold release agent.

Working 12 hour days spraying this stuff around...I think its safe to say I've been exposed to PG in just about every way except rectally (thank god), and I'm no worse off than before from it. It is an irritant in high dosages, but no big deal really.

When my fellow workers and I began on this project we soon to begin questioning what exactly this stuff was that we were being deluged in on a daily basis and the company called a special meeting with all of us about it, discussed it, went over MSDS data with us...basically the only way that PG could have any lingering effects on you is if you were exposed to an incredibly high amount in a very confined space for a very long time. You would basically run out of air and asphyxiate before PG would be able to harm you..but in case you didn't it would cause severe neurological damage. It is a mild irritant to skin and mucous membranes.

To sum up...I was wary of it at first but over time I have come to accept PG as a fairly safe product. Mind you...I'm not speaking of anything about vaporizing it, that's a conclusion best left to a chemist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread