protected batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

H1ST

Jun 5, 2013
uk
Hi there im soon going to buy a mechanical mod and prefer lower ohm coils, now I understand that aw imr batteries are best but Id rather not spend more money as I already have alot of ultra fire 18650s which have short circuit and over current protection.

Im a little confused as to wether these are safe to use with low ohm builds, can someone please clarify and the risks of using these batteries?

Thanks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There was a time when protected batteries were recommended for mechanical mods, but current wisdom is that IMR or hybrid batteries are safer than protected now.

Basically, not all batteries are created equal. All batteries are manufactured either in Japan or China by only several manufacturers. From what I understand, quality consistancy varies a great deal during the manufacturing process, and the major name-brand companies like Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, and Samsung sell the higher quality batteries under their name brand, and sell their lesser quality batteries to other distributors who re-wrap those rejects and sell them under a different brand name (ie. Trustfire, Surefire, Ultrafire).

AW (Andrew Wan) is an independent Chinese distributor who individually tests for the best batteries that he can purchase from the major battery manufacturers and then sells the best of the best under his own brand name. The consistancy of the quality of AW's batteries have earned the distinction of being the best batteries you can purchase for several years, and more manufacturers of mods recommend using his batteries than any other name brand.

Provape, the manufacturer of the Provari, strongly recommends using only AW IMR batteries for the Provari. They conducted their own internal testing of several manufacturer's batteries and determined that AW was the best, and then designed the Provari specifically around that battery.

"Our advice is that the best and the safer choice of battery for APVs is the AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeable."

"We now advise that Li-Mn or top-quality Li-FePo4 rechargeables are used in APVs, in preference to rechargeable Li-ions. We suggest the best option, in order, is:

1.) AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeables.

2.) Panasonic hybrid cells. (Sony spinel cells are new on the market at the date of edit [2013-09-01] and it is likely they will also prove acceptable, they are an Li-Mn type). You must ensure that Panasonic and Sony cells are sourced from an authorised distributor, as they will become extensively counterfeited.

3.) AW Li-FePo4 rechargeables [Li-FePo4's mostly NEED A SPECIAL CHARGER]. Note that these batteries are mostly 3 volt nominal so the system voltage will be lower than normal. They are the best choice for stacking as long as they are not counterfeits.

4.) Good quality (such as AW or Pila) protected Li-ion rechargeables.

5.) Branded protected Li-ions come next - such as *fire Li-ion rechargeables (for *, insert Trust / Sure / Ultra-).

6.) The least-preferable option is a generic protected Li-ion.

7.) Unprotected rechargeable Li-ion cells should not be used.

8.) Standard cells (non-rechargeable) MUST NOT be used." - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html ECF Reference Library

Protected vs Unprotected

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected Battery?

Mechanical Mod Usage Guide

Last edited:

iGl0

Oct 17, 2013
CA, USA
Bad, as always has all the questions on batteries locked down! :toast:

Just wanted to say, if you plan on getting into sub-ohming, good batteries are so important. I personally have trust fire 18650 and MNKE 18650 and boy is there a huge difference. I can't and don't want to draw out from the trust fire with so little output, my mod burns up like a torch. Over stressing the battery can lead to bigger problems, so its better to be safe than sorry.

I also own a cheaper CGR18650CH from panasonic. They give out 10 amps, which is good to sub-ohm to .8 and no less. They are about 12 bucks for 2 if you find them on sale. MNKE's give double those amps and are like $12 for 1 -.- ridiculous i know, but keep them in good condition and they can last for awhile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread