Provari batteries - AW vs Panasonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am new to the vape game and have just decided to purchase a Provari 3. However, I have a few questions about batteries that hopefully you guys will be able to help with.

1) Safety
So provape only recommends AW IMR batteries for safety reasons. However, looking at what’s available, many have pointed towards Panasonic hybrid ICR cells such as: a) NCR18500 (2000mah) b) UR18500 (1600mah) c) NCR 18650 (2900 mah). (sorry I couldn't post links to these batteries as I am a new user)

These cells offer much higher run times which is why I am tempted towards these. I have read in some places that hybrid ICRs have their own safety mechanism which may be safer than IMRs (don’t know how trustworthy the source is). In terms of safety, will these Panasonic hybrid ICRS be ok for the provari 3? (side note: some have said that AW IMRs are simply rebranded sanyo and Panasonic cells). Also, by using non IMR batteries, will this void the provape warranty?

2) High Drain
Provape recommends AW because they are High Drain. The NCR 18650PF (2900mah) cell is listed as high drain, however, I am unsure about the NCR18500 and the UF18500. I intend to run my provari 3 using 1.7ohm cartos and possibly at around 4V to 5.5V (so wattage range of approx. 10 to 18). So will these Panasonic cells be sufficient?

3) Protected vs unprotected
The AW IMR’s are unprotected. Do the Panasonics need to be protected or unprotected cells given that they are hybrid ICRs and not IMRs. The NCR 18650PF and NCR 18500 are unprotected but the UR 18500 is protected.
Which should I be using for hybrid ICRs?

4) Will it fit?
Hopefully someone who uses Panasonics in their provari can answer this; will these Panasonics fit into the provari? (I know the 3 is not out yet! But I am hopeful that the battery tubes on the Provari 2.5 and Provari 3 will be the same).

Many thanks
Skittles91

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
You need to use unprotected batteries in an APV. The Provari (and many others) have built in protection that doesn't play nicely with a protected battery.

I haven't used those Panasonic batteries, I saw them mentioned a month or so ago on the forum but there really is little information out there.

For me, if Provape recommend an AW, then I'm using an AW. I've nothing but good things to say about the performance of my AW batteries. I get more than a day from them in my 2.5.

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
I have been using a provari for 4 years (2 & 2.5). I've only used the AW IMR batteries because that's what Provape recommends. I figure, if they make the product, they know what's best for it. I got the extension cap for both so I could use the 18650 batteries. I generally get a full day of vaping out of a charge, but always have one spare battery ready to go. My idea about vaping has always been to keep it simple. And simple here is to use what the manufacturer recommends, and it hasn't failed me so far. Please don't take this wrong, but I believe you are making this way too complicated. Just get the AW IMR batteries, relax, and enjoy. my 2 cents.:)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have three Provari's and use only AW IMR batteries; it's what Provape recommends and quite frankly they are among the best and most consistant quality battery brands on the market/

Why Provape recommends to use only a high drain battery: Technical: Why High Drain Batteries?

Why Provape recommends using AW IMR batteries: Technical Question for the Provape Engineers

Rest assured, you are making this more complicated than it needs to be; Provape has tested the major brands of batteries available and determined that AW is the best battery brand for their product/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread