Provari P3 "Empty" Problem - Full Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I had an issue with my Provari P3 which has recently been resolved, I let a few of the guys/gals who were helping me out on another thread know that I would post a full explanation of the issue, process, and resolution once I had it. First off I would just like to say thanks and let everyone know how much I appreciated the support of this community while I was working through getting my Provari back in the game. Enough of that though, here is my report.

I had purchased the Provari P3 as my first vape a few months ago, and it worked perfectly at first. But after about 2.5-3 weeks of use it abruptly stopped working. I was not doing anything special, and had never dropped the device or submitted it to any extreme circumstances.

The issue was immediate and easy to recognize. Essentially no matter what I would do the device would always register as "Empty". It would register as empty with and without the tank being attached, and with charged batteries. Once battery contact was made the LED on the device would flash RED consistently.

From various threads on this forum and from the assistance of helpful members I was made aware that this issue had been encountered before and could be due to a variety of reasons. But as our mutual investigation persisted it became more and more apparent that what I was experiencing could be unique.

Initially we went through the basics.

I first ensured I was using the correct battaries, which I was (AW IMR 18650 3.7V 2200mAH 8.1 Wh). I also checked to ensure my charger was working properly by using my multi-meter to check proper voltage of the batteries after charging was complete. Last but not least, mostly out of frustration I went to my local vape shop and bought a set of brand new batteries, but as was almost certain at that point, it made no difference.

The next step was to ensure the device was cleaned properly, since this suggestion came up numerous time's I ended up cleaning my device using the proper procedure at least 5 times. This included cleaning the batteries. Pretty sure it was cleaner than when I bought it by the time I was finished. This also provided no solution to the issue.

Next a forum member suggested I checked which version of the Provari I had (whether or not it was a BETA device). You can do this by checking your ProVari for the diamonds that are designed on the side of the device. As my device was matte black with no diamonds I indeed had a production device and not a beta device. The reason for this simple check was that Provari had issue's with the springs on their beta devices being too small, which I assume would not make proper continuity in the device.

Even though I had a production device it was still suggested that I take the end cap off and stretch the spring a little bit to ensure proper continuity inside the device. I did as suggested and this also made no difference in resolving the issue in my device.

At this point it was suggested to me that I open a support ticket with ProVape as none of the above solutions were resolving my particular issue. So I did just that, created a ticket, and was promptly assisted. I spoke with a tech at ProVape and some background information and basic checks were requested. First the tech wanted me to check which version I had installed on the device. My version was V36, which is what was recommended. Apparently they have had some issues with the V34. Next was to check the IQ of my device which was "99 great" at the time. And last but not least to re-clean the device once more, just to be sure, which I did with no effect. At this point the tech was fairly confident that my device was experiencing an issue with the end cap and spring so they shipped me out new parts promptly. I received the new end cap and spring about two weeks later, but again, it had no effect in resolving the issue. I once again contacted ProVape and spoke to the same tech and it was requested I ship my device back to them so they could take a look. I did just that.

Again, two weeks later I received my device back in the mail. It finally worked again, but there was no paperwork explaining what the issue was or what was done to resolve it. After speaking to the tech I was told this is quite common, since repair explanations often contain explanations and terms that many would not understand. If someone contacts them requesting an explanation, they are more than happy to give it.

It was explained to me that a part of the board in the device (U5 to be specific) was damaged and replaced. As the troubleshooting process progressed I began to suspect that it was an issue with the board, and this confirmed my suspicions.

To summarize in hopes of helping someone who may encounter the same problem:

ISSUE:
Device registering as "Empty" with charged batteries (with and without tank).
THINGS TO CHECK:
1) Check to ensure you are using the proper batteries.
2) Check to ensure proper voltage and operation of your batteries and charger.
3) Do a detailed and thorough clean of your device and batteries, ensure to clean all threads and springs, also the board contact.
4) Check to ensure you have a production version of the ProVari and not the BETA version.
5) Carefully stretch the spring located in the end camp to ensure a strong connection.
6) Check to ensure your version is not V34.
7) Check the IQ on your device.
8) Contact Pro-Vape for assistance using their online support ticket process.

Again, from everything I have read and been assisted with over the last while. Many of the above suggestions MAY resolve your issue. If not dont hesitate to contact ProVap. I was extremely impressed with the promptness of their service.

If you want a play by play of the entire process you can visit the thread HERE although I feel I have summarized everything quite well.

I would like to extend my gratitude once more to all the fine people in this community who took the time to help me out. It was much appreciated.

Cheers,
eBaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread