Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
IMG_20170216_150343269.jpg

I picked up the Kryten rda from

Psyclone Mods Kryten RDA | RBA

with code dna10 for roughly $67 shipped which made this a viable purchase for me as the $75 plus shipping from the psyclone mods site was just too expensive. Anyways besides a few niggles I had with the Hadaly it was a great rda so I have been eagerly awaiting the Kryten which is psyclone mods second forray into atomizers.

The Kryten however is completely different animal then the Hadaly. Where the Hadaly was a single coil flavor atty the Kryten is dual coil only cloud monster (the flavor is actually very good also but more on that later) that has a clamp style deck that I can only describe as the love child of a goon and velocity. I am not a huge fan of doing something different just to be different but this actually works very well. The 2 inner clamp sections are raised and the 2 outer sections are lower as seen right here
download.jpg

I wish the outside clamp spot was a bit higher but it still works well. It has only one screw per post or clamp but it is working very well and over the 2 builds I have installed I have not had any resistance issues. The machining seems very well done and it has a very nice conical design in the top cap all though just like my Hadaly the Kryten had a massive amount of machine oil in it. All of the O-rings are very very tight fitting and even lubed with juice are very tight. I hope they wear in over time however I would prefer them to be overly tight other then too loose. It comes with 2 drip tips one very large chuff and one tfv8 size tip. The chuff is a bit large for me however the Kryten has an oring in its cap just like the Kennedy and the Goon and all of my goon and Kennedy caps have worked so far.
It also lists the juice well as being 7mm deep however that is very deceptive as where the airflow enters the deck there is a cutout reducing the wall of the well by 2-3 mm. On top of that the clamp posts are good size reducing the amount of juice the well can hold. It still holds a fair amount of juice.
Building on it honestly was a bit of a pain but still easy enough I have some 8 wrap 3.5mm 316l 3x30gx38g claptons in here and I must say i am getting an amazing vape. The airflow wide open is a bit much for me so I have been running the AFC about %40 closed off and it's perfect amount of air for a slightly restricted lung hit. Also for being marketed as a cloud machine the flavor I am getting off it is amazing now a lot of that is going to be build dependant and the Kryten seems to really need larger builds to perform its best.

pros there's quite a few so brace yourselves

-Decent packaging

-Very good machining and fit and finish especially since it is made in China

-Adequate sized juice well

- Very nice conical design on the inside of the top cap really helping to make flavor pop

-Comes with 2 different driptips one a chuff and the other Smok tfv8-ish as well as works with Kennedy and Goon driptips

- comes with extra o rings,extra clamp,flat head screws and most importantly a Bottom Feed pin

- Unique Build deck that after my first build I found it very easy to build on

- fits just about any build you can conceive Aliens,Framed Staples etc I added some pictures below of a fairly large build a 3.5mm ID 8 wrap 3x30gx38g fused clapton and it swallowed it up no problem and honestly could have taken a much larger build.

- Clamps have a very nice beveling which makes it very easy to install builds

Cons

- it came covered in machine oil and im not saying yours will but I recommend a thorough washing just in case

- No single coil

- this is just me nit picking but I wish the clamps on the outside were a couple mm's higher but again it's kind of a nit pick

- the price is kind of a con kind of not. I paid $67 which for this RDA I do think is worth it however there are quite a few RDAs out there for half or even a 1/3 of the price that offer similar performance.

All in all I think the Kryten is a great RDA and Psyclone Mods has another hit on there hands here. From a strictly aesthic point of view I think the Kryten is a very sharp understated yet extremely good looking RDA. There is almost no branding on the RDA which I like and just a small etching of Kryten on the bottom of the RDA. So how does it vape Ashley...? The side adjustable airflow fully open is too much for me so I run it about half open. It has very good flavor which surprised the hell out and me. As far as vapor production goes it's going to depend on your build but it is an absolute beast and really as the kids would say "Chuck's ...." add the Bottom feed pin for you sqounkers out there and it becomes quite a versatile RDA and if your looking for a nicely made authentic 24mm rda that has great flavor and vapor production I say go for it.

Here's some pics of the RDA, packaging,spares and a build I put in it for reference

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
What is the point of the high/low hinge points? Better turbulence?
You said Minor con,, is there any obstruction on the lower outside?
Is there any chance you will try a single coil?

Thanx for an enjoyable read..
The lower clamp landings on the outside work fine but because of how low they are it makes it almost awkward trying to get that bottom lead in due to how close it is to the lip or circular outer edge of the atomizer. It really is not a huge deal and more of a subjective con.

The whole single coil thing pisses me of because of how the deck almost acts as a chamber reducer it would have made an amazing single coil RDA. All they would have had to do was add an extra airflow intake on the top cap but as it is now I would need to plug up the other air intake somehow so no single coil

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
So I said I would post a picture of how I bend my coils so they work with this RDA very well. I can't explain without a video really well but you make the coil by making full wraps. On most coils we have one lead coming off the top half of the coil and one lead coming off the bottom half. Basically this means they are not full wraps Dean the vaping bikers explains this in his review of the Kryten much better then I can so I will link that

but here are some pics so you can get the gist of it
IMG_20170217_185638383.jpg

IMG_20170217_185750141_BURST001.jpg

Reactions: daviedog

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
So I said I would post a picture of how I bend my coils so they work with this RDA very well. I can't explain without a video really well but you make the coil by making full wraps. On most coils we have one lead coming off the top half of the coil and one lead coming off the bottom half. Basically this means they are not full wraps Dean the vaping bikers explains this in his review of the Kryten much better then I can so I will link that

but here are some pics so you can get the gist of it
View attachment 636229
View attachment 636231

I'm flattered, you posted the above. I am a fan of the NarDa& kfuns.
Notice you first pic. Coil on the TOP! You would be surprised how few builders know what we're discussing.
Yer hip..

Reactions: Sed8op8

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Very well put together review! Great job!

Have you given any thought to running the coils on a diagonal. Though it looks like more of a side AF than bottom, it could potentially draw the air around and kind of spin it into the conical top. You are a much more talented builder than I so I trust your judgement, this is just an off the cuff theory I had looking at the deck. Any thoughts?

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Very well put together review! Great job!

Have you given any thought to running the coils on a diagonal. Though it looks like more of a side AF than bottom, it could potentially draw the air around and kind of spin it into the conical top. You are a much more talented builder than I so I trust your judgement, this is just an off the cuff theory I had looking at the deck. Any thoughts?
Experimentation is one of my favorite things about vaping. All of this innovation we keep seeing in the industry is essentially the product of ideas like this.

That being said I have always found that keeping the coil as close as possible to the airflow maximizes flavor but I will definitely give this a try

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I totally agree with keeping the coils close. Im thinking setting the coil on a diagonal would be in some way similar to a vertical, so still keeping it close to the airflow but hopefully directing the air. Ive had this idea before but the only atty I have that maybe could have worked with it ended up being much better suited for vertical coils.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I totally agree with keeping the coils close. Im thinking setting the coil on a diagonal would be in some way similar to a vertical, so still keeping it close to the airflow but hopefully directing the air. Ive had this idea before but the only atty I have that maybe could have worked with it ended up being much better suited for vertical coils.
Ya I have run almost a 100ml through the current build I have in there now and have rewicked it a couple times. My coils are 316l stainless which I love but I have found they do not last as long as kanthal or n80 coils. So depending what they look like after my next rewick I might just swap the build out and give that a try

Edit:
Also it could be my imagination but I swear stainless Gunks up faster then my other wire types

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Crkbow

Apr 23, 2016
I had a few too many "pops" last night and now have one incoming lol. I was totally waffling all day yesterday over it because I don't have a decent BF mod yet (I have the Dripbox160 but this will overhang). So I guess now I just have to wait on a good dual 1860 BF mod lol. I'm hoping the Drone from Lost Vape ends up being a winner (looks like the samples have some tube issues to get resolved) because that mod plus this RDA could be a sweet combo.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I had a few too many "pops" last night and now have one incoming lol. I was totally waffling all day yesterday over it because I don't have a decent BF mod yet (I have the Dripbox160 but this will overhang). So I guess now I just have to wait on a good dual 1860 BF mod lol. I'm hoping the Drone from Lost Vape ends up being a winner (looks like the samples have some tube issues to get resolved) because that mod plus this RDA could be a sweet combo.
I saw the drone also and have high hopes I have the hcigar inbox DNA 75 squonker that I like and it dosnt overhang however it's a single ,,18650 that just doesn't have
The power to really push this little fella

Reactions: Crkbow

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Also just to let you know the juice well while not Humongous is still large. I get 20 + drops from a unicorn bottle without over dripping so even though you still looking for a BF mod for it don't worry about having to drip every couple puffs. I have really been enjoying it and as I said I don't have a powerful enough squonker for it yet myself

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Well it arrived today built and wicked and loving it. I kind of went RDA crazy this week picking up 3 new ones but like them all. Now to wait on a good squank mod lol.
86b4ea6dfa8764115b8eec4a4ea7fade.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
what mod do you have the Kryten on ? Sexy setups good sir please after spending some time with it swing by and leave your thoughts...!

Crkbow

Apr 23, 2016
what mod do you have the Kryten on ? Sexy setups good sir please after spending some time with it swing by and leave your thoughts...!
It is a Vaporized Nomads Boss Genesis XL. I will for sure be updating once I get some time with it. I wrapped the coils like you posted and watched The Vaping Biker video. Still was a little tight to wick but not awful I'm using 6 wrap staple fused claptons 3mm id.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
It is a Vaporized Nomads Boss Genesis XL. I will for sure be updating once I get some time with it. I wrapped the coils like you posted and watched The Vaping Biker video. Still was a little tight to wick but not awful I'm using 6 wrap staple fused claptons 3mm id.
I have one of the boss v2 DNA 250s just the 1850mah one but I have had a very negative experience with mine. I first got it it was misfiring like one out of 3 button presses the mod wouldn't fire so I have had it less then 2 days I contact them they are like OK send it back. So I spend $10 to get it shipped out fast and don't get it back for almost 3 weeks well I finally get it back in super excited I had sspun up a 4x30gx38g 316l alien and through it in my aeronaut v2 I put it on my mod go to hit it and I hear a loud crack and the mod is autofiring im trying to get my atomizer off the mod it's burning the piss out of me and my boyfriend because we don't want to drop it on a hard floor and I wanted to get the RDA off of it before it blew a fuse melted the insulator in my RDA and or vented the lipo pack. My boyfriend the brave soul he is said well maybe it was just the aeronaut (although it had never done that on another mod) so he throws his Kennedy on there and I decide to video tape it this time and same thing it's autofiring and at that point I write them saying hey I thought you guys had fixed this I take it out of the box first vape burn the piss out of me and my boyfriend and almost blow us up. I sent them the video of him trying the Kennedy on it and the response I get was kind of well hmmm send it back. They did not offer to pay the shipping or even say omg in so sorry or freaking anything just send it back. So I spend another $10 shipping it to them and I get it back almost 2 weeks later and no note or further correspondence just 2 vaporized nomad vape bands in the box lol..... Granted the mod works now but .... what a ....ty experience.

Crkbow

Apr 23, 2016
I have one of the boss v2 DNA 250s just the 1850mah one but I have had a very negative experience with mine.
That is a very negative experience! I am not a fan boy but so far I have not had any issues with mine. I chose to pick it up because I could get something custom and hopefully long lasting... I also don't take it out of my house or really very far from my desk lol. Once I get the Drone or some other replaceable battery squanker I probably won't use it a ton. I have the Hcigar VT250 for my out and about mod and for work. I think I like replaceable batteries more than lipos. I always know I can just swap them and keep on with my day.

Back to the Kryten. I am looking forward to "The Vape Team" show tonight. I know all three guys have the Drone and Kryten and Mike Vapes fixed his drone. So hopefully there will be some insights on how well the RDA works as squanking atty, and some more insight on the Drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread