Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Hello all. I just ordered a A606 (also known as a Versa or "new" lavatube?) from Darkcity Vapors. It's the first device I own that uses pulse width modulation and I'm not quite sure what that is or how it works or why it is beneficial. Could someone please explain? And what exactly does higher amp do for a device? Thanks!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
PWM is a form of voltage regulation. It's how it does VV. Some implementations are more accurate in calculating the effective voltage, but regardless, they all adjust. Fairly efficient if done properly. Better battery life. Some implementations seem to have issues. Do a search.

The Amp # is the current flow. All electronic circuits have a max amps (actually max watts) that they can handle. At a certain point, they either shut off to save themselves or fry. You'll see terms like "2.5 amp switch"...but it really means the deivce can only output at most 2.5 amps. Also a factor in short detection. Volts X amps = watts = power (like in lightbulbs).

Amps are important to vaping in that Ducal Coil anything requires twice the amps to power two coils at the same voltage. That's all.

That's not to be confused with high-drain batteries...which supply more amps...because the device requires more amps as input, such as a booster.

Last edited:

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
First, this is a Lavatube:

http://zainy.net/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=lavatube&submit_search=Search

The ALD device you've referenced doesn't have that name on the DarkCity Vapors website.

Now for the technical stuff. Pulse width modulation simply keeps the voltage constant but reduces the power by "chopping up" the voltage over time. To deliver 50% power, it would look like a square wave. To deliver 75% power the signal would be high for a longer time than it is low, and so on.

This still isn't as clever as constant power systems, and in fact it seems overly complex for this application.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
It's simple and, usually, very effective. That's why they do it. Not to be argumentative, but it's probably the least complex method and requires the fewest parts...1 control pin and 1 power MOSFET both of which you'd probably need anyway for other reasons. It's fairly efficient since it doesn't have to dump any excess voltage. Maybe add a cap or two depending on the implementation.

The trick is in the booster. So...that's where they don't end up being efficient. PWM on a stacked batt config would be easy and efficient. Similar to a switching regulator. Maybe it's not bad boosted, IDK.

At least that's my understanding of it.

What type of constant power system were you thinking about?

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
So the benefit is that PWM causes less drain on the battery while providing the same output? And that I shouldn't worry too much about how many amps a PV I'm interested in buying has unless I use dual coils?

Btw, I only thought it was some new version of Lavatube because if you search "lavatube" on Alibaba.com, you will see one of these models up there. Most of them do show the 'real' Lavatube, but I just assumed it was just a new product made by the same company.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Basically correct, although there has been some discussion on the quality of various PWM implementations...some are more accurate than others...as to their equivalent voltage. YMMV per make/model. I'd double check reviews 1st anyway for all reasons. You could have a great PWM implementation and a crappy button. lol.

As to efficiency.... YMMV also...since vv's need to boost voltage in single-battery configurations. So how it boosts is a factor too. You can't just isolate once concept, like PWM, without taking the implementation and other factors into account. Stacked battery configurations don't need a booster. So it depends.

Basically, it works well or it doesn't. And that's an end-to-end thing. You have to account for the whole shebang, IMO. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread