Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks, zoiDman. That's some very helpful info, and the link should prove useful as well. Sorry if I hijacked your thread a little. I hope you get your questions answered.

No Problem Noble.

This isn't My Thread. But I'm sure that BigEgo doesn't mind people talking about VG Related topics. Even if they Aren't Optim.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 15791786" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
It cannot be 100%.
I'm well aware of that, just passing on the information the bottle says on it, take it up with Nature's oil :p Hehe.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
I think you are going to have to Dig a Little Deeper into your Wallet if you want to Vape Dow Optim.

Because one of the Last Times one of these Threads was done about Optim, someone posted a link to a Chem House that sold it.

It was $90 a Litter.

LOL

Probably wasn't even Optim. I would need some strong verification that it is indeed real before I shelled out $90 a liter (and I doubt I would pay that much even if it was real).

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
PG is made from natural gas or oil.

Yes, but that's not the only way. Now there is a method of making PG directly from VG as well as from sorbitol (sugar alcohol). Source. Here's another article talking about it:

US agribusiness major Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) said its 100,000 tonne/year bio-based propylene glycol (PG) plant in Decatur, Illinois, had a successful start-up and is now producing industrial-grade PG using refined glycerin as feedstock.

Huntsman and Dow are also now making PG from VG in some of their facilities.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Probably wasn't even Optim. I would need some strong verification that it is indeed real before I shelled out $90 a liter (and I doubt I would pay that much even if it was real).

No. It was Optim as I recall.

Because it Wasn't being sold at some Mom and Pop Vape Shop. It was being sold at a Chemical Supply House.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
OK, sorry for the triple post. But, I e-mailed Humco to inquire about where they source their Glycerine. Here is their response:

We purchase Glycerin in bulk tanker loads and repack into smaller vessels. Unfortunately, we cannot disclose our source. As for the purity, the USP monograph lists Glycerin at a range greater than 99.0% I could speculate and say the varying differences could be the result of individual manufacturing processes.

They won't disclose their source, but I am going to make a wild guess and say it is ADM or Cargill (the two "Big Ag" mega corporations that have huge glycerine refining capacities). Also, as this guy correctly pointed out, the USP only requires 99.0% purity. Humco sells 99.5%, while most others are now advertising 99.7% (not sure why specifically 99.5 and 99.7).

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
No. It was Optim as I recall.

Because it Wasn't being sold at some Mom and Pop Vape Shop. It was being sold at a Chemical Supply House.

I've searched most of the chemical supply houses I can find online (that sell glycerine in bulk for scientific and commercial purposes). Haven't came across one yet that specifically states they sell Optim. I do know that Dow lists a few distributors on their website (3 in total). One of them is Brenntag. I checked their website, but they don't list the manufacturers of their glycerin (you could probably call and find out). I do know that Duda gets their VG from Brenntag who gets it directly from ADM. So Brenntag probably distributes glycerine from various manufacturers.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So we have no clue whatsoever what the synthetic VG would give off is overheated? Could be some bad stuff. I will just stick with the stuff that hasn't killed anyone yet.

Why would it give off anything Different?

Are they Not Both this?

187px-Glycerin_Skelett.svg.png

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Maybe. What is the purpose of making the higher priced synthetic VG? Synthetic oil is not like Dino oil.

What you Bought on Amazon and what Dow Sells I believe are Both C3H8O3.

Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Synthetic "Glycerol" has a benefit over "Glycerol" made from Plant or Animal material in that it has Less Chances of being Contaminated by Microbes or Viruses.

It would be Kinda a Drag if you were doing some Cutting Edge Cancer Research and you thought you had just made a Major Break Through. Only to find that it was a False Result do to some Viral tainted "VG" that you used.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense, for research and medical type use. so no benefit to vaping it I would think since none of us make our juice in a high grade clean room.

I see No Benefit or Reason to use Dow Optim for e-Liquids.

Unless you needed a Big Time tax write-off. And your Accountant was Crazy enough to list it on your 1040 Schedule C.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have 200 proof 99.98% alcohol. Of course I have tasted it (it is so pure, according to the label...) It was worse than cheap vodka. Reason? It was not cleaned for consumption, if was cleaned for chemistry. These 0.02% of impurities give bad taste; much "dirtier" vodka was cleaned in different way, to get rid of bad tasting impurities. Of course it is only an example, and may be a wrong one. May be cleaner VG taste better? You'll never know until you taste it. Do not make an assumption that small "tails" are always harmless. A teaspoon of machine oil can ruin a keg of beer.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
100% pure is for the additive content not the moisture

When they say pure they mean no fillers or additives beyond naturally occuring elements like water

Essental depot has been tested out to .99.84. Personally not concerned with where it comes from. Thick as honey and crystal clear over the years gad a few gallons now, good stuff. Same with their pg.

I actually think they are smart. When you have one if the top products in the field ( many other suppliers buy theirs, not just vapors) last thing you do is tell the competition where you get it.

They are a good,, helpful outfit sending them an email may get you the answer you seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread