Push button cigarillo witch replaceable atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LVD

Feb 27, 2008
My ideal E-smoker:

· Works on standard batteries (cheap en a good choice of chargers for multiple batteries)
· Uses pen style cartages (good capacity and most choice on tastes and strengths)
· Is robust!!!

So my first choice was the cigarillo. The simplicity of the thing appealed to me. You know “keep is simple stupid”; the less components there the less that can go wrong (at least I thought so). But after a year of smoking cigarillos one breaks down after the other. Everything component gets ruined: atomizer burns trough, the switch gets stuck, batteries soacking in liquid when dripping en the solder contacts come loose. There must be a better way.

Opus one: An atomizer works like a light bulb so that this has a limited life span is quite normal. It has to be replaced as easy a light bulb without having to throw away all the rest. I took a broken cigarillo and cut it in half, in the mouthpiece part I glued a piece of mini cartridge so it can hold a mini atomizer, and in the battery compartments I’ve incorporated a micro switch and the screw fitting of a dead mini battery with the little hole filled with solder to avoid liquid to enter the battery compartment. While I was at it, I replaced the sub-mini wiring with thicker one to avoid over heating. A push button cigarillo witch replaceable atomizer (from the mini). All problems solved I thought.

Opus two: That micros witch only can take 50mA, but it worked fine with the 1.2A that is pumped trough it, but not for long. Some regulation is needed. Again “Keep is simple”: one single transistor as emitter follower does the job (PNP van 1.5A with a bèta of 100; I used a PBSS305PD). Further I made some improvements:

· The little red lid of the battery compartment is so small it is difficult to scew and unscrew. With a piece of cigarillo tube I made a bigger one.
· The screw fitting of the mini battery is now soldered centrally in one of those golden rings of the cigarillo. Again one wire and a couple of solder points less. You have to file a couple of tiny slots for the air flow in the golden ring.
· The micro switch in the previous version was just sticking out. I’ve mounted it more flush and covered it with a piece of rubber (the inner tire of a bicycle). It gives a softer touch and looks better.
· I couldn't resist to make a USB-battery in the same style to connect to my solar charger.

The specifications: with the red lid on it is as long and 1 gram lighter than the original cigarillo, with my self made lid on it is 3mm longer and 2 grams heavier.

And here’s the result:

Attachments

• Cigarillo opus2.jpg
    Cigarillo opus2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Opus 2 gedemonteerd.jpg
    Opus 2 gedemonteerd.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 75
  • binnenwerk.jpg
    binnenwerk.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 77
  • doosje.jpg