Question about ohm reading and introducing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkloud

Aug 19, 2015
Hey guys! Been vaping for 3 months or so and just recently got a job at my local B&M. Recently got Vaporshark rDNA 40 and an ohm meter... So I know how important it is to have accurate ohm readings with nickel but my builds read one thing on the ohm reading and another on the device... For instance my current build was .16 on the meter and .14 on the device. Any idea what's going on here?

Also can a mod move this to the correct place?

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
.14 and .16 isn't a big enough difference to cause concern. Between gunk build-up over time and just general quirkiness of the chip, +/- .1 ohm shouldn't make a huge difference or raise any red flags.

If your ohms are making big jumps (or you're getting misfires/weird hits), that's a cause for concern, as it usually indicates a short.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Yeah no shorts. So which do you think is more accurate then? Just curious.
Also if the vaporshark is reading the resistance of the wire too wouldn't it be higher?

.16 and .14 isn't a big enough difference to confidently say which is more accurate (and it's not enough to want to adjust the voltage). If you really wanted to, you could go buy like.. a >300$ Fluke DMM. But even those aren't designed to accurately measure sub-ohm, so you'd realistically just be introducing another confusing number into the mix.

Call it .15 and vape happy. No worries.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
That's a tolerance issue. And you'd need a very high-dollar 4-wire Kelvin meter (with a low amperage and low voltage measuring current; even harder to come by) to tell which was more accurate. I would not worry about .02 Ohms, myself. That's within tolerance. If you're building close enough to the bleeding edge that .02 would make a difference, you don't have enough safety margin left to discuss.

Reactions: Darkloud

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey guys! Been vaping for 3 months or so and just recently got a job at my local B&M. Recently got Vaporshark rDNA 40 and an ohm meter... So I know how important it is to have accurate ohm readings with nickel but my builds read one thing on the ohm reading and another on the device... For instance my current build was .16 on the meter and .14 on the device. Any idea what's going on here?

Also can a mod move this to the correct place?

That's not something surprising

Reactions: Darkloud

Darkloud

Aug 19, 2015
That's a tolerance issue. And you'd need a very high-dollar 4-wire Kelvin meter (with a low amperage and low voltage measuring current; even harder to come by) to tell which was more accurate. I would not worry about .02 Ohms, myself. That's within tolerance. If you're building close enough to the bleeding edge that .02 would make a difference, you don't have enough safety margin left to discuss.

True. I'm just very .... about my vaping lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread