Question re: clone/knockoff RBAs in general, the Taifun GS in particular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Owl

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
BC, Canada
Hello.

Today I received the 2 Taifun GS clones(?) I ordered from a reputable Canadian supplier. Clones I expected, given the price & description. I didn't expect them to come in boxes marked 'Taifun© Made in Germany', though that's what the sample pic showed. I figured it was for illustrative purposes only. The units appear very well made and finished (haven't fired either of them up yet), and the bases are deeply etched with the Taifun logo etc. Even the SS drip tips carry the Taifun logo, with appropriate ©.

If they are clones, I'm not complaining, and I'm not questioning the supplier's integrity or the product I got, especially for the price I paid (not to be coy: $26 each). I'm simply curious to know if there's any chance these could be actual Taifuns, as claimed on the boxes & on the tanks etc.

They sure don't look or feel like anything e.g. Harbor Freight would carry, supposing HF ever got into the e-cig biz.

:D

[ Not dissing HF, btw, simply offering a basis for comparison most of us can understand. ]

Blind Owl

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
BC, Canada
Do they have the extra airflow tube in the parts pack? If so you got the hcigar clone, best gs clone out there.

As a matter of fact, they do. About the only thing that looks less than German is the finish on the bottom inside lip of the chimney, where it contacts nothing & therefore can't matter. Expect a yell for help in the not-too-distant future, OK? :toast:

(the edit: saw your post after I replied to B2L's)

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not complaining, and I'm not questioning the supplier's integrity or the product I got
Personally I would (and do!) question the integrity of a MANUFACTURER who would LIE about where the product he's selling was made, not to mention putting another company's name and logo on that product.

Blind Owl

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
BC, Canada
Personally I would (and do!) question the integrity of a MANUFACTURER who would LIE about where the product he's selling was made, not to mention putting another company's name and logo on that product.

Agreed. If I had my druthers I'd buy nothing but originals. The sad fact is, though, business has never respected intellectual property and never will. It's only getting worse. Clones will appear, and if a knockoff is significantly cheaper and performs about the same (sometimes better), people will buy it…especially if they can't afford the price of the original, or if the cost/benefit ratio doesn't compute.

This isn't new. Back in prehistory, when the Polaroid camera was the only instant photography game in town, Kodak decided it wanted to play. Trouble was, Edwin Land held the patents on the process, being the inventor and all. Kodak's lawyers advised them to go ahead anyway, without paying royalties to Land, because by the time it wound through the courts, Kodak would have made enough money to laugh all the way to the bank, regardless how the inevitable lawsuit was decided. Kodak figured, and rightly, that their brand name would sell cameras. Sleazy? Well…

False branding by a manufacturer is pretty darn sleazy, and that's why it surprised me to see it on the products I ordered. It's also why I took this opportunity to ask, more or less: :confused:

I don't blame my supplier, they showed what I would get & said (or strongly implied) it was a knockoff.

The manufacturer, on the other hand…

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Hello.

Today I received the 2 Taifun GS clones(?) I ordered from a reputable Canadian supplier. Clones I expected, given the price & description. I didn't expect them to come in boxes marked 'Taifun[emoji767] Made in Germany', though that's what the sample pic showed. I figured it was for illustrative purposes only. The units appear very well made and finished (haven't fired either of them up yet), and the bases are deeply etched with the Taifun logo etc. Even the SS drip tips carry the Taifun logo, with appropriate [emoji767].

If they are clones, I'm not complaining, and I'm not questioning the supplier's integrity or the product I got, especially for the price I paid (not to be coy: $26 each). I'm simply curious to know if there's any chance these could be actual Taifuns, as claimed on the boxes & on the tanks etc.

They sure don't look or feel like anything e.g. Harbor Freight would carry, supposing HF ever got into the e-cig biz.

:D

[ Not dissing HF, btw, simply offering a basis for comparison most of us can understand. ]

No; they are not real. Most clones are marked exactly as the authentic; they are "clones". Unfortunately the higher quality clones are marked most closely to the authentic. Wish it wasn't the case but it is. Luckily the sleet was honest though. My favorite of all the clone makers is ehpro and the only difference in markings is the date; but their quality is second to none; so they get the most use. I won't take an authentic to a concert, the pub or the beach.
Most authentication are only sold to select dealers and those dealers are usually allowed to sell both clones and authentic at the same time.
Also with the clones there are very few companies whose quality is superb. Ehpro and hcigar are the first to come to mind. They all vale well. The two
I mentioned vape as well as my authentic and the differences in construction and material would only Be noticeable by someone experienced with manufacturing and metal fab. That said some if the less expensive clones have a deplorable quality and can be easily spotted.
I've seen and bought cheap clones, high quality clones and authentic. Generally though I'll buy a high quality clone to check out the product then by an authentic if it's something I like. Several people think that's a bad way to go; but, it's my wallet so oh well.
As for the taifun- it is AWESOME!!!!
The taste is far better than the kayfun in my opinion.
Quick advise- take out the airflow tube-if that is too airy just out the plastic ring around the tube back in leaving the tube out... I keep mine at 1.4 ohm on 28g@2mm diameter wicked with rayon or cotton. -I prefer rayon since it's more durable than cotton. Also a nano lit for the taifun is not a bad idea and they can be found on egay.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
BC, Canada
Thanks, Fir3B1rd (couldn't you have picked something easier to spell? :laugh:). Being relatively new to all this, I don't know what a nano lit is yet. Will check it out & see what I can find.

I don't have to ask about rayon, though: I'm a believer & recent convert!

The sad fact is, even if my budget permitted, most authentics seem to be made out of pure unobtanium these days…and now I've worked up a serious yen for an Erlkonigin. The fun never ends… :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread