Questions about pre-punched cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadFly

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hey All,

I recently purchased a number of pre-punched cartos (found here) for use with my Smoktech DCTs. I noticed that, unlike cartos I've previously purchased, these have but tiny one hole punched instead of two.

I filled a tank with a juice I use often, and found that the carto does not feed properly; unless I constantly top off the carto, I get dry hits. My questions are:

1. Might this be a defective carto, or is one hole insufficient?
2. Why just one hole? Is this a cost-cutting measure (which would be ridiculous), or is one hole better than two?
3. Are these inferior to Boge or Smoktech cartos? Would I get better performance if bought these instead and punched them myself?

Thanks for your time!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What kind of juice are you using would be my first question. A single pre-punched hole is often sufficient for most e-liquids. However, if you are using a thicker juice like Boba's Bounty or a vg heavy juice, one hole definitely won't cut it.

Any reason you decided to buy from that vendor? $3 a carto is a little on the pricey side for a no-name carto. I just bought some single coil Smoktech's directly through their website here:

Single Coil XL Tank Cartomizer for the SmokTank XL

$2 each, and with choice of one or two pre-punched, and wide choice of resistances. The cartos that you bought may very well be ok. You'll have to invest in a good carto punch tool to find out though.

I've got the punch tool from Phiniac (around $14). Nothing wrong with the tool, it makes holes in cartos. It's just that when I made what I believed would be the size hole that I needed, it slightly distorted the carto's shape enough that it was difficult to pass it through the tank's end caps without a struggle. I decided to try buying my cartos prepunched, but the vendor had to offer 1 & 2 hole cartos.

If you go to the tank subforum here you will find a good number of threads about cartomizers, single or dual coil, pre-punched or self-punched or slotted with a dremmel tool, etc. It's pretty much an inexact science if you know what I mean. But read up and you'll learn enough to get buy.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If your carto deforms when you punch i just take the top off the tank an put your carto in from the top. than put the tpo cap back on.

I think I follow what you are saying. However, Smoktech cartos have that flange down near the connector. So at some point the deformed part of the carto will need to pass through an endcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread