Questions from a newbie..nicotine content

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonnienclyde

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Ok, let me see if I've got this right...

I was a pack and a half(30 cigs) a day Marlboro Light 100's smoker.My husband and I have both a Joye 510 and I have used "marlboro" flavor and "kent" flavor from RMV. I much prefer the "marlboro" flavor and my husband prefers the "kent"(he was a camel lights smoker).The "kent" seems too "strong" for me. THese are the only "flavors" we've tried besides the njoy ones we started with(yuk!).

We love the 510 and are getting ready to order some eliquid. I am trying to figure up the nicotine content.

Here's what I figure: I was smoking around 24 mg a day. That's .8 per cig x 30. I got my nicotine info from here: Erowid Tobacco Vault : Nicotine Content #4

So, that means 1ml of 24mg liquid should do me for one day, right? I find I am smoking more than this though. I am going to take a new, empty cart and fill it with exactly 1ml of the 24mg and see if it lasts all day.I will do this tomorrow, because I'm already "off" today. That way I can get it exact. If not and I smoke say, 2 carts, then should I change to 12mg per ml? That way I would get the say nicotine amount in more carts?

Also, can I "dilute" it myself? Instead of waiting on the new bottle to arrive, can I "cut" the 24 mg I have? and with what?

I have more questions on "flavors" but I will post that in another thread.

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
To make a long story short, you probably won't be able to match 1:1 your nicotine mg from analogs with nicotine mg from e-smoking. It just doesn't work that way - mostly because the absorption rate is (probably) different for the two. I smoked basically the same as you did, and I'm probably using 2 mL a day of 18 mg liquid, although I'm not 100% sure about the amount. I'd bet lots of money that I'm still not getting nearly the nic content I got from analogs. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about trying to match the intake. Just vape basically whatever you want, and you'll still be getting less.

ETA: Yes, you can cut your liquid with propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin. You can find tons of posts here for places to get them. Also, most likely you will need to spread your nic content out in more than 1 cart per day.

Last edited:

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I was a pack and a half a day Misty Light Menthol 120s smoker and I have found that 12mg fits me perfectly. I can vape as much as I want and not feel like I've overdone the nicotine. I used either 24mg cut 50/50 with VG or 18mg cut with 30% VG before I started mixing my own juice. You do lose some flavor that way, but the solution is to either buy flavor drops and bump it up yourself or get 0mg nic juice in the same flavors you use and cut it with that instead of VG or PG. I just found it cheaper to buy a bottle of VG and flavor drops, Especially since some of the flavors were not as strong as I wanted them to start with so even if I was using them full strength I'd add a little flavor. You can get empty plastic bottles with dropper tops cheap at US Plastics (19 cents for 3 ml and 23 cents for 6 ml) I just carry a couple bottles of whichever flavors I think I may want during the day and drop a few drops into the cart as needed. You can check out the DIY liquid section of the forum for more tips on stretching your liquid or flavoring your own. You might also want to check out the section on using Lipton Pyramid Tea Bags to stuff your carts, a lot of folks really like using them (including me).

Welcome to the forums and the world of vaping :).

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
The only thing I'll add is that you vape completely different than you smoked. A cigarrette is something that you fire up and the timer starts. You only have so much time since it'll burn down even if you don't smoke it. You got conditioned that once you were done with it you were set till the next one, which by habit, was a set amount of time later.

With vaping you can hit it a few times and put it away. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes longer. Or, like when I drive, I vape almost constantly. The point being that a vaping "session" can last a long long time. The adjustment you have to make is that you're taking in nicotine the whole time you're vaping. I've found that I vape MUCH more than I ever smoked. SO even though I was about a pack a day Marlboro lights smoker, I now run 6mg juice (given the amount I vape) and am satisfied - and sometimes over-nic'd. I'm sure that I've actually increased my nic addiction since vaping. I started out with 18mg, went to 12 and now run at 6. I have a desire to have NO addiction to nicotine. I just want to enjoy vaping without a physical addiction. So my goal is to eventually go to 0 nic. It all depends on what you want from vaping. I loved the act of smoking - drawing smoke in and blowing it out - and hated everything else about it. The health risk being No 1 and the smell being No2. Vaping fixes all that for me and has allowed me to REALLY enjoy the behavioural adiction without all the bad stuff.

Again, that's all where I personally am coming from. I'm sure many on these boards have different reasons, nic limits etc. But the common thing is that we ALL enjoy it!!!

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
The only thing I'll add is that you vape completely different than you smoked. A cigarrette is something that you fire up and the timer starts. You only have so much time since it'll burn down even if you don't smoke it. You got conditioned that once you were done with it you were set till the next one, which by habit, was a set amount of time later.

With vaping you can hit it a few times and put it away. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes longer. Or, like when I drive, I vape almost constantly. The point being that a vaping "session" can last a long long time. The adjustment you have to make is that you're taking in nicotine the whole time you're vaping. I've found that I vape MUCH more than I ever smoked. SO even though I was about a pack a day Marlboro lights smoker, I now run 6mg juice (given the amount I vape) and am satisfied - and sometimes over-nic'd. I'm sure that I've actually increased my nic addiction since vaping. I started out with 18mg, went to 12 and now run at 6. I have a desire to have NO addiction to nicotine. I just want to enjoy vaping without a physical addiction. So my goal is to eventually go to 0 nic. It all depends on what you want from vaping. I loved the act of smoking - drawing smoke in and blowing it out - and hated everything else about it. The health risk being No 1 and the smell being No2. Vaping fixes all that for me and has allowed me to REALLY enjoy the behavioural adiction without all the bad stuff.

Again, that's all where I personally am coming from. I'm sure many on these boards have different reasons, nic limits etc. But the common thing is that we ALL enjoy it!!!

My experience is nearly identical. I currently mix 50/50 11mg and 0mg for a 5.5mg liquid that I can vape as I want without overdoing it.

Look for suppliers that offer a 0mg version of whatever flavor you use, so you can customize it to your level without diluting the flavor.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Quitter, that's a very good analogy! People generally (me too) just keep vaping all day and night! Should not do that. Take 3 or 4 puffs and then put it down, that should be the equivalent of one cigarette (depends on your juice strength, but you get the idea.) An hour later have another few puffs. That's about equivalent to a pack or so a day smoker.
If you're overdoing to begin with it's very hard to cut back on your puffing!.

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Kate - Boy I wish I could take just a few hits and wait an hour! And that's why I cut the nic down. When I was at 18 & 12 I was really over doing it! I was so enamoured with being able to vape without restriction (sneaking hits in my office, every time I go in the men's room, and the biggie- in my car!!!) I would just keep going all day. I could definetely feel the nic and knew I was stepping up my addiction big time!

Truthfully I'm thinking I might try going 0 nic after dinner and see how that goes. It's all about baby steps right?

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
My experience is nearly identical. I currently mix 50/50 11mg and 0mg for a 5.5mg liquid that I can vape as I want without overdoing it.

Look for suppliers that offer a 0mg version of whatever flavor you use, so you can customize it to your level without diluting the flavor.

No need to buy 0 nic juice - it's just PG or VG. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a gallon of PG for like $23!!! I also bought a bottle of VG (Glycerin) at CVS for $4 or so. I buy 24mg juice and cut it down with a 50/50 mix of PG & VG. So I go 1 part 24mg and 3 parts my mix and get a 6mg juice. I'll then add some Lorann's or McCormicks flavor to get the orig flavor back. Save a bundle on Juice!! Remember, you pay the same thing for 24mg juice as you do 6mg!!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I puffed myself silly for the first three or four months, but eventually you can relax a bit, when you realize there's no hurry to get toked up!! I'm amazed at how you can take a couple puffs and put it in your pocket and still be totally satisfied. It's definitely better that re-lighting a cigarette!!! About a 1000 times better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread