Questions regarding EVOD rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
I've had a good amount of luck rebuilding my EVOD heads. I run into a problem or two, though, and maybe some of you can make suggestions. For the most part, my rebuilds produce huge amounts of vapor, so I'm mostly satisfied with my work

I wrap the .032 wire around my wick. I've tried the #4 screw method and can't seem to be able to pull my 2.5 mm silica wick through the formed coil. So my first question is: How tight does my wire need to be around the wick?

Second question: Once in a while, I get a rebuild that works great for a while, then after I refill my EVOD, it might quit working. I use an DRY4 (TFA 8%) in a 60/40 juice. The wicks always come out black when it's time to replace the head, regardless of whether it's a rebuild or store-bought. I think this is normal, but whenever the head fails quickly, the wicks seem really black for the amount of time I've used these. I suspect it's more of a wire short or failure, but the "refill" symptom is what's throwing me. I haven't measured the resistance of the rebuilds yet.

Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gal66stang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Austin
Bumpidie-bump....

Any suggestions for the OP? I too would like to figure this out. I am burning through evod and protank heads much faster than I would expect to. I also have the burned/black wick. This is based on factory build, because I haven't ventured yet into the rebuild although I would like to start.

Thanks!

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
How tight does my wire need to be around the wick?

I like the wire to be wrapped snugly around the wick. I've found that gaps between the wick and wire can produce off or burnt flavors.

Second question: Once in a while, I get a rebuild that works great for a while, then after I refill my EVOD, it might quit working. I use an DRY4 (TFA 8%) in a 60/40 juice. The wicks always come out black when it's time to replace the head, regardless of whether it's a rebuild or store-bought. I think this is normal, but whenever the head fails quickly, the wicks seem really black for the amount of time I've used these. I suspect it's more of a wire short or failure, but the "refill" symptom is what's throwing me. I haven't measured the resistance of the rebuilds yet.

Coils and wicks can build up a layer of dark gunk over time. This buildup occurs regardless of whether the head is factory-made or rebuilt. This gunk can effect the taste of vapor. "Dry-burning" will rid the coil and wick of the gunk. I generally clean and dry-burn my Protank (all parts, not just the coil) after two or three fills. That may be a bit overkill, but I like tinkering around with them and like the peace of mind that I won't get stuck with a burnt, gunked-up head while I'm out and about.

Cleaning consists of running all parts under hot tap water until no trace of e-liquid smell is present.

Dry-burning:

-Dry off base and atomizer head.
-Suck air through atomizer head to further dry the wick and coil inside.
- Remove top tube from atomizer head.
-Remove "flavor wicks" (if present) and set aside.
-screw atomizer head into base and screw into device.
-Apply power in five second pulses (I like to keep it under 4 volts for dry-burning) until coil glows evenly, coil looks clean and wick turns white.
-Re-assemble everything and enjoy.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Of course you already know this but I have to tell you, You Rock!!!

...almost as hard as this little dude:
cat-rocker-play-guitar.gif

JiGGLiN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I personally use a 2x2 section of cheesecloth/gauze rolled up with great success.

I use a 18gauge blunt tipped needle and wrap with 32 kanthal while holding it alongside it. It should be wrapped snugly, but not so tight that you can't adjust it after wrapping. A toothpick or equivalent sized drill bit will do the same. (I just use "tools" from my medical field job)

My buddy wraps the wire by itself, then gathers 10-15 strands, folds it in half, threading it thru. An extra piece of wire can be used to facilitate this.

We both then grab some extra strands of individual strands and place on top for flavor wicks, then just trim to fit.

I've been able to literally vape till dry with this method since I don't typically get any gurgling when the juice is running low as experienced with the wick it came with.

The gauze does an excellent job of sealing the gaps, which I believe is due to the swelling and smaller strands.

Of course we can't dry burn the coil, but just carry backups already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
lol gal, it's okay, I had to ask too. A flavor wick is what sits on top of the coils, usually there are a couple of flavor wicks, you can take one out to get a better vape or sometimes taking one out makes your tank gurgle. If you take the stem off of your coil, underneath that are your flavor wicks, under those is your actual coil.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I personally use a 2x2 section of cheesecloth/gauze rolled up with great success.

I use a 18gauge blunt tipped needle and wrap with 32 kanthal while holding it alongside it. It should be wrapped snugly, but not so tight that you can't adjust it after wrapping. A toothpick or equivalent sized drill bit will do the same. (I just use "tools" from my medical field job)

My buddy wraps the wire by itself, then gathers 10-15 strands, folds it in half, threading it thru. An extra piece of wire can be used to facilitate this.

We both then grab some extra strands of individual strands and place on top for flavor wicks, then just trim to fit.

I've been able to literally vape till dry with this method since I don't typically get any gurgling when the juice is running low as experienced with the wick it came with.

The gauze does an excellent job of sealing the gaps, which I believe is due to the swelling and smaller strands.

Of course we can't dry burn the coil, but just carry backups already done.

Are you talking about using medical gauze to wrap the coils around and for the flavor wicks? If so, can gauze ygst I purchase in a pharmacy also be used? Thanks.

Blackbeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Buffalo, WV
I'm curious as to what is meant by "strands" of wick that I see in many threads. I use the silica wick. I'm guessing that's a non-burning casing around what is inside that casing, but it could mean the entire wick. When people mention strands of wick, are they talking about what's inside or the entire piece of wick? Are they pulling threads of something from the casing or using the entire wick as a thread? Does that make sense?

BTW, thanks very much for all the above information.

Vault

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Wellingborough,Northants,UK
I'm curious as to what is meant by "strands" of wick that I see in many threads. I use the silica wick. I'm guessing that's a non-burning casing around what is inside that casing, but it could mean the entire wick. When people mention strands of wick, are they talking about what's inside or the entire piece of wick? Are they pulling threads of something from the casing or using the entire wick as a thread? Does that make sense?

BTW, thanks very much for all the above information.

As far as cheese cloth goes I use the strands pulled from the weave, the cloth is woven using threads about the same as fine cotton thread and that is what I call a strand. The silica I have and used to use was 3mm and that was made up of 6 strands twisted to make the one 3mm wick so I guess as far as silica goes a "strand" is one of those 6 twisted lengths pulled from the "mother wick" :)

Hey any rope-makers on the forum? No doubt either they or any weavers will know the tech terms :blink:

JiGGLiN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Are you talking about using medical gauze to wrap the coils around and for the flavor wicks? If so, can gauze ygst I purchase in a pharmacy also be used? Thanks.

Yes, that is what I use...2x2 specifically. Just make sure that it is 100% cotton.
I don't boil them since they are sterilized w/o the use of chemicals due to their intended use.

Regarding the question about size wicks for evod, I'm guessing about 2mm diameter is what you'd aim for.

JiGGLiN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Jiggling do you separate the strands? Can you go into more detail on how do this please. Sorry for so many questions I'm still a noob to rebuilding. Thanks.

I only separate the strands for the flavor wick.

Hmm....basically I unfold the 2x2 and cut one SINGLE layer of the 2x2 out. Fold the frayed side down. Keep going to you end up with a rectangle. Take that flat piece and roll it tightly until you end up with a "rope".

Hold this rolled rope against a toothpick, drill bit, etc. and start wrapping your coil. Snug but not tight; don't worry if the rope flops down while making coil, you adjust its placement after you are done.

I don't know if that helps. There should be some EVOD how-to videos on youtube. Just substitute your wick instead of what they are using.

I'll try and post some pics if you have any specific questions after finding a video.

Unfortunately, I don't make any how to videos myself. But you'll get the basic idea and I'll try to help you from there after you get a visual of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread