Rebuilding Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayduh

May 11, 2013
CA
Hey everyone!

Im still fairly new to vaping, current setup is a 650 ego c twist, with a kanger evod also a few vision vivi nova mini's. I have been buying replacement heads and recently came up on the topic of rebuilding the coils. Now my question to all you professional vapers out there, can you recommend which type of wire / wicks to use for rebuilding? Also would using different combinations of wires / wicks produce different amounts of vapor / amounts of flavor?

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I will have to narrow down to "rebuilding evod heads", necause just for rebuilding there are literally hundreds of different wick-wire combinations.

You can start with silica wick and 30awg kanthal. It is perishable, but easy to build if you dont feel comfortable going into too advanced stuff.

If you feel up to the challenge, check out the video i just made for rebuilding the Protank heads (which is interchangeable with evod heads). Link in my signature.

Eric1217

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
Long Beach, CA, USA
Rebuilding heads is easy after like a few tries you can rebuild one with your eyes close, the problem I have is that the way you describer your setup you lack the equipment to test your build safely nad that really concern me. In regards to wick and wire I usually build mine using 1.5 or 2 mm wick and use 32 gauge kanthal wire to scale up the resistance to at least 1.5 ohms for vv mods to work on it. Flavor and vapor greatly depends on how you build your coil rather than the wick or the wire itself.

Hope this helps and please be safe.

MistaKuraudo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
WA State
I don't think an ego c twist will fire if you build a coil with really low ohms, so being able to test how high or low your ohms are is pretty invaluable. The (main) purpose of building your own coils (at least in my opinion) is to have more control over your vape. What you can do for now is buy pre-made coils and wick and start that way. Most of them are made to be standard resistance and should work perfectly well with a vivi nova. If anything, you might just have to get the coils closer together to fit into the head. I think it would be a great place to start, and the pre-made coils "should" be cheaper than buying vivi nova heads. I think the one's made for drippers should work, although depending on where you get them from, they might hang a bit too high.

As for flavor. Different juices are affected by different wicks. Some juices will have strong flavor with silica and taste bland with SS mesh or rope, some taste just overall better with SS mesh compared to silica or cotton and some might taste almost exactly the same no matter what kind of wick you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread