Recent Credit Card Fraud this weekend. First time since I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
I have the account that I use for all online purchases set up so I get a text message with a description of the transaction whenever a charge is made. That way I know immediately if someone is trying to use my card and I can contact the bank right away. I often think that if hackers would only use their skills in a legal way, they could probably make a pretty nice living.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
To those using a debit card they only keep a small amount in, make sure you check periodically to make sure a bank employee or their system hasn't linked other bigger accounts you have to it for overdraft protection. If they access the small account, the bank will pay from your other account(s) if there aren't enough funds in it. It nearly happened to me once.

Thanks, good advice!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
One of my other concerns about this is identity theft. It stands to reason that if a processing center employee has a CC number (obviously part of a ring of thieves), it also has a physical/malling address, phone number, email address, etc, along with it. In my close fraud call, the thief only needed three pieces of information to establish an identity. My step-daughter had her identity stolen in the 90s and didn't know it until she applied for a job at Sears last year where they told her she was in their records as "not rehirable"... she had never worked there but that's how she found out about the 90s theft. Shortly after that, her bank account was closed and she found out another person had opened an account there with her identity and it was tied to her accounts and overdrawn. She went through the mess of police involvement, etc. The police really don't care about this stuff although they don't tell you so. Anyway, things get deeper... once your identity is out there, it crops up sporadically when its resold by rings of thieves. So changing your CC number, putting a block on it, etc is not going to solve the problem if its your identity being used. Keep a check on your credit report as well as social security records if there has been a fraudulent attempt with your CC.. you aren't, necessarily, out of the woods. True, living in Arizona, so close to the border, this is a hotbed with the illegals but identity theft is epidemic everywhere.

Edit: given the potential gravity of the situation, I'm glad to see some vendors being named here. As for the "its not them doing it" stand.. no, but they are using a processing center that is suspect so it comes down the same way. Customers/members should be protected through shared information... not the vendors. I use WOT in my browser to avoid suspect sites and that's strictly user driven reporting. People sharing info is something we all need to do to help protect each other.

Last edited:

JiGGLiN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
Los Angeles
One of my other concerns about this is identity theft. It stands to reason that if a processing center employee has a CC number (obviously part of a ring of thieves), it also has a physical/malling address, phone number, email address, etc, along with it. In my close fraud call, the thief only needed three pieces of information to establish an identity. My step-daughter had her identity stolen in the 90s and didn't know it until she applied for a job at Sears last year where they told her she was in their records as "not rehirable"... she had never worked there but that's how she found out about the 90s theft. Shortly after that, her bank account was closed and she found out another person had opened an account there with her identity and it was tied to her accounts and overdrawn. She went through the mess of police involvement, etc. The police really don't care about this stuff although they don't tell you so. Anyway, things get deeper... once your identity is out there, it crops up sporadically when its resold by rings of thieves. So changing your CC number, putting a block on it, etc is not going to solve the problem if its your identity being used. Keep a check on your credit report as well as social security records if there has been a fraudulent attempt with your CC.. you aren't, necessarily, out of the woods. True, living in Arizona, so close to the border, this is a hotbed with the illegals but identity theft is epidemic everywhere.

Edit: given the potential gravity of the situation, I'm glad to see some vendors being named here. As for the "its not them doing it" stand.. no, but they are using a processing center that is suspect so it comes down the same way. Customers/members should be protected through shared information... not the vendors. I use WOT in my browser to avoid suspect sites and that's strictly user driven reporting. People sharing info is something we all need to do to help protect each other.

WOT is a crock! Rather then just rate a site based on whether it is safe or not, they choose to include their personal bias/opinions when doing so.

For example http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/33204-...comment-192674

I was the one that originally inquired and now I have been enlightened.

exnihilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
This post really got me looking. My bank now offers alerts on transactions and I turned them on. Also looking for a prepay/reload option. My bank won't offer one or a virtual CC. Overdraft is also 'automatic' as that's where they get their money..in the fees.

I miss the old days where if you ran out of money the charge was declined. :(

I am about to take my $11.64 elsewhere!

Ed

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Three weeks ago someone open a new account with only my name and adddress correct with bill me later. Only reason I caught it he had a package sent to my house and I got it the next day called up the company who sent it and found out a new account was open with BILL ME LATER (paypal) cancel it had to call trans union and the others got a free 90 day alert put on my record. I did not know how easy it was for them to do this what a joke. Only two things of infomation was correct everything else was wrong and he was able to open a new account, I was very lucky to catch this at the start. Best protection is do your bussines with company's you know and trust. I have to start useing a prepaid card that was a GREAT idea!

I think the idea was open new account order a item have it sent then go back to account and change address to send stuff to and load up all they can.

In my case they orderd from the same city I live in and I got it the next day.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 6, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Three weeks ago someone open a new account with only my name and adddress correct with bill me later. Only reason I caught it he had a package sent to my house and I got it the next day called up the company who sent it and found out a new account was open with BILL ME LATER (paypal) cancel it had to call trans union and the others got a free 90 day alert put on my record. I did not know how easy it was for them to do this what a joke. Only two things of infomation was correct everything else was wrong and he was able to open a new account, I was very lucky to catch this at the start. Best protection is do your bussines with company's you know and trust. I have to start useing a prepaid card that was a GREAT idea!

I think the idea was open new account order a item have it sent then go back to account and change address to send stuff to and load up all they can.

In my case they orderd from the same city I live in and I got it the next day.

I happened to be up with the flu when the email came through confirming a $5000.00 order for phones to be shipped to the Phillipines. I contacted the company immediately to say it wasn't me and was at the bank with documentation in hand when it opened. Everything was stopped. The thieves had done a test with a small order for flowers first that I didn't catch because of being sick. You can change the "ship to" address anytime just as you do at a vape vendor where you usually give a "bill to" and "ship to." In my case, a bank employee or their system had changed my accounts from no overdraft to overdraft protection without informing me so the the big purchase would have gone through.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    It wasn't the vendor's fault. Check with your bank. You may qualify for a free pre-paid card. Just load up however much you want to spend. If they hack the card, they can't get to your cash (only as much as you have put in there, that's up to you).

It's not attached to your checkings or savings account so they cannot gain access to it.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 29, 2011
    Methuen, MA
    First off I'd like to wish everyone here a Happy Easter. Keep a close look at the charges on your CC. The crooks thought that today being Easter that it may be easier to get away with the fraudulant charges. So be alert of unauthorized charges on your CC especially today!

I got a fraud charge on my credit card today (Easter). It was for a $1.00 charge from Western Union (WU).
    I canceled the card and will be receiving a new one within 7-10 days.

This is a CC that I use only for vaping supplies and nothing else!
    This is the 3rd fraud charge in 2 1/3 years since I started vaping.

damselle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 29, 2012
    New England
    First off I'd like to wish everyone here a Happy Easter. Keep a close look at the charges on your CC. The crooks thought that today being Easter that it may be easier to get away with the fraudulant charges. So be alert of unauthorized charges on your CC especially today!

I got a fraud charge on my credit card today (Easter). It was for a $1.00 charge from Western Union (WU).
    I canceled the card and will be receiving a new one within 7-10 days.

This is a CC that I use only for vaping supplies and nothing else!
    This is the 3rd fraud charge in 2 1/3 years since I started vaping.

This is making me wonder if it's someone in the vaping community responsible.......

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 29, 2011
    Methuen, MA
    This is making me wonder if it's someone in the vaping community responsible.......

I don't know for a fact but I suspect it's one of the CC processors, not the online vendors. These CC processors used by the online ecig industry, in my mind, are second tier CC processors. Most of the large commonly used CC processors that are used by other online industries refuse to do business with the ecig industry for various reasons.
    There is one of these smaller CC processors that I suspect and am now trying to determine if it's them or not by process of elimination but it will be a while till I have more proof. When I'm more confident of my suspicions I'll let the community know but for now I try whenever possible to buy ecig related items overseas using PayPal (paypal has no problem with overseas purchases of ecig related items for whatever reasons). I'll purchase items here with my CC from just one vendor for several months at a time and keep an eye out for fraud. I use this CC for only ecig purchases so if there is CC fraud on the card I'll have an idea what CC processor was the culprit. But this will take time for me to find out probably another year.

damselle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 29, 2012
    New England
    I don't know for a fact but I suspect it's one of the CC processors, not the online vendors. These CC processors used by the online ecig industry, in my mind, are second tier CC processors. Most of the large commonly used CC processors that are used by other online industries refuse to do business with the ecig industry for various reasons.
    There is one of these smaller CC processors that I suspect and am now trying to determine if it's them or not by process of elimination but it will be a while till I have more proof. When I'm more confident of my suspicions I'll let the community know but for now I try whenever possible to buy ecig related items overseas using PayPal (paypal has no problem with overseas purchases of ecig related items for whatever reasons). I'll purchase items here with my CC from just one vendor for several months at a time and keep an eye out for fraud. I use this CC for only ecig purchases so if there is CC fraud on the card I'll have an idea what CC processor was the culprit. But this will take time for me to find out probably another year.

Ohh. this is good! but lets keep it a secret so they don't discover what you're up to...;)

Marredding

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2013
    Warwick MD
    I ordered from somewhere for the first time and the 4.00 battery was processed two days ago. My bank called today and told me someone was trying to purchase 1000.00 of items in Tx, another attempt of 500.00 and a 139.00 purchase of athletic equipment. I have never had a problem and have order plenty of times. I am glad they caught it and I am going for the prepaid Walmart cards

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread