Refilling Carts – Spin or No Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Packsaday

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does the spin technique actually allow more juice to be loaded into a cart?

I have just completed a somewhat scientific test to determine how much spinning affects the refill quantity.

• Used 10 washed and dried carts. The carts were spun dried and had been sitting for 2 weeks ready to fill.
  • Counted Drops from a 5ml bottle of V4L PG liquid into carts until the last drop overfilled through the battery hole. Subtracted the last drop from the count.
  • Inserted but plug and spun the carts at 2500 RPM for 30 seconds using a spinner jig I fashion a few weeks ago,
  • Added more drops to each cart until the last drop overfilled through the battery hole. Subtracted the last drop from the count.
  • Spun again to see if even more juice could be added.
  • I assumed that not all carts would hold exactly the same, I kept track of each cart and also added all drops together and divided by the 10 carts for accurate average.

Results:

1.[FONT="] [/FONT]The first filling (before spin):
a.[FONT="] [/FONT]It took from 23 to 29 drops to fill each cart.
b.[FONT="] [/FONT]The average for all 10 carts was 26.9 drops to fill without overfilling

2.[FONT="] [/FONT]After Spinning the first time:
a.[FONT="] [/FONT]It took from 4 to 7 drops to refill each cart.
b.[FONT="] [/FONT]The average for all 10 carts was 5.1 extra drops
c.[FONT="] [/FONT]The lowest capacity cart refilled at 27 drops, while the highest refilled at 35 drops. Most refilled at 33 drops.

3.[FONT="] [/FONT]After spinning the second time:
a.[FONT="] [/FONT]I managed to get 1 more drop into 1 cart without overfilling.
b.[FONT="] [/FONT]The average total to fill a completely empty and dry reused cart is 32.1 drops of PG from a 5ml V4L bottle.

Conclusion:

1.[FONT="] [/FONT]One can drip on average 26.9 drops into a reused, completely dry cart.
2.[FONT="] [/FONT]One can drip on average 5.1 more drops (or 19%) into a cart after spinning vigorously.

Last edited:

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
Good work 2packs.

My results were similar, but I only tested on 3 new carts and I found using the CCFM I could get about 28-32 drops in an empty carto, and after spinning only about 3-4 more drops, but it seemed floody/gurgley so I don't bother to spin.
The same thing happened with my centrifugal spin tests where I put the cartos in the drill chuck (to spin liquid to the outer walls of the cart) and came to the conclusion that the CCFM filled to about -3 drops off total saturation point.

I have read many people say they still prefer to spin, it may just be the endorphin release from the exercise, or differences in methods or something, but each to their own.

I think for me the only time I will spin is to do the Leaford Reverse Taryn Spin, a great way to extract liquid from a cart.

lonercom

ECF Veteran
Thanks for the info 2 pack.

I still use the injection method with 1 Ml. of juice. I still spin but I think that may just be habit but I think the cartos wick better after the spin.

I have started refilling premiums too without taking the cap off by injection. If I see the fluid start cubbling out, I just pull the plunger back and pull out some.

ALC

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Ohio
Great work and seems pretty acurate to me. I finally got a syringe today and started filling. Most of them I do not need to spin. I have found that some carts will just not hold as much liquid. I think they are overworked and ready to hit the trash carts.

When I refilled without the syringe I always had to spin at least twice to force the liquid into the batting. I could never get more than 20 drops in without a spin using the condom or drip method from either end.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
great info!

i have found personally that the spinning helps me to add more drops in a quicker succession though, rather than possibly filling the cart to a higher capacity. Though, its great to hear that i can indeed fit more into the carts with this method!

[IE: if i just add drops (no spinning) to a dry cart, i can usually add ~15 drops before waiting nearly 20-30 seconds before all settles to add ~5-7 more drops....then have to wait to add the last stragglers.....
if using the Taryn spin, i can add the ~15 drops, then spin for a second or two, and immediately add all the remaining drops until the cart is full.... without waiting for the settling process to complete..... thus, for me, I haven't (personally) used the spin as a way to necessarily add more drops... just to get the juice in quicker)

2Packsaday

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
In the last couple of days I have been comparing the 10 carts that were dripped and spun (D&S) versus the other 10 carts I refilled using the CCRM w/ no spin.

I have gone through 3 of each. There is no doubt that the D&S carts performed much better. They seem to last at least as long as brand new pre-filled, whereas the one refilled using the CCRM method seem to last about half as long as pre-filled. This has not been a scientific test by any means, just an observation.

I am not advocating refilling either way, just trying to report accurate results. Chances are, I will use the CCRM more often than not. But, when I have the time I will D&S to get carts that perform as good as new.

Last edited:

ALC

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Ohio
Anyone else noticing that the consistency of refilling changes with the amount of times you clean and refill the carts?

Also, new to the syringe method, I am too finding that I overfill the carts a little more. I want to try to stay consistent so I am cutting back to 0.6 which is about the same as 3/4of a cap (same as condom method amount). This is when the carts are blown out, not boiled carts. When I boil the carts I seem to not have to worry and can easily fit 0.8. So far this is what I'm getting since just starting this very recently.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread