Replacing Clearos with Cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
I've been vaping off of clearos since I started a month ago, since then, I've also started dabbling with RBAs, and I love RBAs,

However, when I'm out of the house, on-the-go, I still take my Clearos, but with slight leakage out of the 510/ego threading, I'm willing to try another alternative to my Clearos. So I have a few basic questions on the Cartos since I have no experience with them:

1) Will switching to Cartos from Clearos solve my leakage problem? Are Cartos nearly leak-proof out of the 510 or ego or even on top?

2) I need a carto+tank solution that will hold minimum of 3mL of fluid, I've seen some Gonzo carto tank on fasttech that can hold 6mL, can someone recommend me one that's decent in quality?

3) How long will each cartridge last? I've seen people say that the coil in clearos lasts about 7 to 14 days, but with my rate of vaping, mine typically lasts about 1 month... I vape about 3 to 5mL a day, with 2mL out of those in the RBA, so 3mL in a Clearo...

4) Taste/Flavor? Is there really a difference? I've hit my friend's Cartos before, and it tasted fine, I didn't taste any funnies or muting that was noticeable... I didn't expect the performance of my RBA, but it was on par with my Clearo...

fett701

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2012
hampton rds va
For out and about vaping carto tanks are awesome. No leakage and can be vaped from any angle. Cartos can flood but that is a small amount on your 510 connection wipe off blow out and good again. If just getting into carto tanks i would recommend a boge f16 tank and boge xl lr cartos from surevapes if using juices that wont crack plastic. If you want a tank you can use with any juice i would suggest ibtanked.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
For an inexpensive carto tank just to give it a try VVV has some good ones. They are made of polypropylene, so they don't react to juices, and don't break when you drop them. I have one of the economy tanks that has been going strong for over a year and has never leaked. It has grommets though, which can be a pain when it comes to changing cartos. This is the same tank, only with caps so it doesn't have the tight grommet issue:

Premium Triple V Jumbo - 5ml Tank

He also sells larger and smaller tanks, and glass ones.

TheDarthJager

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Texas
Cartos can still leak but that's mainly a defect issue, my sister uses a bunch of different clearos without issue. If your gonna hop on over to cartos its kinda up to preference. Bouge is a good brand (though I had some horrible experience with the F-16s but that's just me). I really like the SmokTech DCT and that's what I use. Cartos take a little getting use to at first with priming them, keeping them wet (especially if you use more than one tank and you let one set for a day or two between uses), ect.

I really like cartos and you can play with them a lot. I advise to not get a pyrex tank to start off with so you don't sink a bunch of money into it before you know if you like it or not. As far as how long that last...that depends. Their suppose to last anywhere between 1-4 weeks though for people like me that vape all they time you can go through one in a day (only if your vaping like its going out of style that is), though normally I can make a carto last a week in a half or so.

As far as taste...I've gotten duds before that give a really plasticey taste but that's pretty rare. Most cartos aren't gonna have a strange taste so I'd say not to worry.

Hope that helps ya.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
Thanks for all the replies guys, it was very helpful. I think I'm going to pick up a few of the pyrex-type from Fasttech, the DCT, they didn't mention if it was a Smoktech or not. I'm generally not a fan of the Smoktech's APVs, but people seem to like their tanks and atomizers. What do you guys think of this one:

$5.73 Pyrex Glass DCT Tank Atomizer (3.0mL) - silver / 1.5 ± 0.2

It's only $2 more than a plastic 6mL tank...

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
When the time comes to upgrade you cant beat an ibtanked or phiniac imo. Its also a lot easier to fill and swap cartos using non flanged carto/tanks

I'm definitely going to look into that instead. Not really enjoying Fasttech's shipping right now. Going to order from domestic distributor on this purchase.

Plus, I'm not the type to buy something low-end and make my way to high-end stuff. I rather have spent money on high-end stuff to begin with (big fat lesson from my APV purchases)...

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'm off to google ibtanked and phiniac...

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Seems like Cartos and Clearos isn't that much different in technology? Seems like if I were to fuse the bottom coil head of my clearo, ripped out the center post inside the clearo's tank, I would have a pseudo-carto? Or am I looking at this wrong the way the juice is fed into the wick?

Ive read your post about 10 times and what youre saying doesnt sound close to what a carto is, Both have coils, so im not sure why you would fuse one. Also cartos all have a center post area, sort of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroXG0ibYks

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
I'm definitely going to look into that instead. Not really enjoying Fasttech's shipping right now. Going to order from domestic distributor on this purchase.

Plus, I'm not the type to buy something low-end and make my way to high-end stuff. I rather have spent money on high-end stuff to begin with (big fat lesson from my APV purchases)...

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'm off to google ibtanked and phiniac...

Check it out looks sweet, basic ibtanked 22mm with a shorty cf drip tip. Using laser drilled LR boges

WP_000591.jpg

puchox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
Montevideo, Uruguay
Thanks for all the replies guys, it was very helpful. I think I'm going to pick up a few of the pyrex-type from Fasttech, the DCT, they didn't mention if it was a Smoktech or not. I'm generally not a fan of the Smoktech's APVs, but people seem to like their tanks and atomizers. What do you guys think of this one:

$5.73 Pyrex Glass DCT Tank Atomizer (3.0mL) - silver / 1.5 ± 0.2

It's only $2 more than a plastic 6mL tank...

I have 3 of those, the cartos aren't that great. They have a funny taste. I bought boge XL 2.0ohm cartos and i'm really happy with the tanks :)

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
When the time comes to upgrade you cant beat an ibtanked or phiniac imo. Its also a lot easier to fill and swap cartos using non flanged carto/tanks

A truer statement was never said. For the money, an IBTank cant be beat (around 22 bucks or so) The Phiniac is another quality tank and is really fancy.. lots of options including etched designs and colors and blown glass designs. About twice the price of an IBTanked.

Both of these have very thick Pyrex, more so than the others out there...... and the seals.....yep,,the seals.... this is where some of your big differences come in. This is why these dont leak. These better tanks make a real difference.

I prefer Ikenvape Cartos when they are in stock.... and when they arent, I get the Smoks which are also very good. I like single coil cartos and I get mine pre punced with two holes.

I dont care for Boges myself. Ive never had a carto flood, but I fill them properly......

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread