Reusing plastic pipettes and flavor contamination - Best practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrellG

Memba
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
I'm going to be placing a supply order shortly, and I'm curious about plastic pipettes. I've been looking at the 3ml pipettes at Wizard Labs to use for extracting flavorings. I assume the type of plastic they are made from isn't a concern, as they're not being used for long term storage -not that they could be. I'll be using glass and LDPE plastic bottles for stored liquids. However, I would like to know if these pipettes can be reused; despite the fact they are marketed as disposable, and are dirt cheap; so dirt cheap that it's almost embarrassing even asking this question, but what can I say, I'm a penny pincher.

If I were to thoroughly wash and rinse the pipettes, possibly using alcohol as well, would I be safe from cross contamination of flavorings? The information I've read here seems to point toward "yes," but I wouldn't mind getting some up to date feedback from experienced DIY'ers.

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what type of plastic these things are typically made from? I've seen them on other sites listed as LDPE, but I'm curious if this varies from supplier to supplier or if LDPE is the standard? There's no information about this on Wizard Labs' site -that I could find. I planned to contact them about this, again, just out of curiosity, but I figured I'd first put it to the vets here.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Beeker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2015
Oklahoma
I'm going to be placing a supply order shortly, and I'm curious about plastic pipettes. I've been looking at the 3ml pipettes at Wizard Labs to use for extracting flavorings. I assume the type of plastic they are made from isn't a concern, as they're not being used for long term storage -not that they could be. I'll be using glass and LDPE plastic bottles for stored liquids. However, I would like to know if these pipettes can be reused; despite the fact they are marketed as disposable, and are dirt cheap; so dirt cheap that it's almost embarrassing even asking this question, but what can I say, I'm a penny pincher.

If I were to thoroughly wash and rinse the pipettes, possibly using alcohol as well, would I be safe from cross contamination of flavorings? The information I've read here seems to point toward "yes," but I wouldn't mind getting some up to date feedback from experienced DIY'ers.

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what type of plastic these things are typically made from? I've seen them on other sites listed as LDPE, but I'm curious if this varies from supplier to supplier or if LDPE is the standard? There's no information about this on Wizard Labs' site -that I could find. I planned to contact them about this, again, just out of curiosity, but I figured I'd first put it to the vets here.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
LDPE and PETE seem to be common plastics for bottles...for my own vapes I reuse everything...if your a stickler on flavors reusing LDPE pipettes is iffy...but I have done it as well when I get short between orders. Just clean them real good and make sure they're dry and toss the ones that retain a flavor odor...LDPE can retain odors...not so much the actual flavor...PETE bottles clean up really good, but most have LDPE droppers so they can mess with the smell and throw you off.

Reactions: DarrellG

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I use and reuse the 3ml graduated .25,.50,.75,1ml pipettes for all my mixes. I just wash them in hot water (the outside first) by sucking up the water individually a couple of times. Then I grab them all and squish them in a glasss of water a couple more times.
(Expressing the water into the sink)

The kicker is on the last round of flushing I keep them in the glass and do this in and out squish and then TASTE the water. If I taste anything I keep washing.....usually I never do.
:2c:
:toast:
:p

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Them designed for single use alright.
Price tag allows for single use alright.
But I rinse well and keep one for each flavour.
Fine-tipped, colored marker pens - a few marks on the bulb and same on the bottle.

Am I a tight-wad ?

Nope.

Factoring in hot water usage, time ... probably more expensive than just chucking them.

But water recycles faster than plastic. Considering that some ocean stretches contain more plastic than kelp already, I try not to add unnecessarily to that.

Whales don't vape...

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
All sound like viable options.
I kinda like the idea of a dedicated pipette for each flavor.
Could be a cool little project building some compact storage to house all of the labeled pipettes.

Thanks for the input everyone. :thumb:

I did that for a while, but there is always residual in the pipet and you end up with a mess eventually.

There is a reason they are called disposable. China order a thousand for like $7 and never feel quilty :)

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
i bought some glass droppers on ebay they were pretty cheap. Just keep a little distilled water in a cup when mixing. Some flavors will not come out of plastic once used: Pineapple, menthol, some other strong floral flavors, and tobacco.

The plastic are a really cheap way to get started. and mostly rinse clean. I just wanted something I wouldn't have to replace.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I don't see an issue with reusing them for the same flavoring or usage. But then again they are cheap and disposible. As long as you don't run the risk of cross contamination reuse them but as I said there cheap and disposible. It's really just a common sense issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread