Ruyan - "Just like smoke" it's hard to get hold of!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Although the e-cigarette is a very new product, many companies have already rushed into the market get a piece of the action. There is a bewildering array of choice when looking to buy an e-cigarette and very little information as to whether you are getting a quality product or a cheap knock-off.

SBT, the developers of the Ruyan, released the first e-cigarette in 2003. Their latest is called the v8 - clearly signifying that it is the eighth version in development. Another company (LoongTotem) offers a "mini" cigarette which they call the V9. I've looked at the official Ruyan websites and found no mention of a V9, so I can only assume at this stage, that the V9 is an attempt to hijack the prestige of the Ruyan brand for another product. I've emailed Ruyan to double check this, but no answer as yet.

Before I go any further, I must say that I am not in any way affiliated with Ruyan, and have no desire to promote them above any other brand. I just want to try to find which is the best brand we consumers should be buying. In fact, I don't even own a Ruyan (or at least I don't think I do!), I bought mine from e-cig.com and I'm very happy with it, although I haven't anything to compare it with just yet.

One problem with the choice of the name Ruyan by SBT/Ruyan Group is, I think, that in Chinese it simply means "just like smoke". It seems to me that many other sellers are marketing their cigarette as ruyan whereas it is not the actual SBT product. In other words, if I invented the pencil and decided to call it "Inkless", other people would also likely call their product inkless, since that is an accurate description and also ties their product in with my brand, which I would have spent a lot of money promoting(I should have thought of something unique and distinctive like, erm, Pencil!).

So, you get my drift. If you want to buy the original product, look closely. The V8 demarcation is probably the best thing to look out for, and hopefully as this forum grows we can get reliable info on the quality of other products too.

Have a look in the suppliers thread to start with and please post any others that you find.

Good luck!

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Holy Old Thread Batman! :p

And look....SJ still looks the same!

lol5.gif

Lu

Status