Screen names: How did you come up with yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Ok, I'll play. Kurt is my first name, and it being rather uncommon, and not used yet, I used it.

My avatar is a electron wave function of one of the molecular orbitals of cytosine, a dna base, which is a molecule I study with quantum mechanics and computers. I study how dna interacts with UV light, and why it is quite resilient to UV damage in general. Wave functions are very beautiful and graceful to me. This particular wave function when rotated how I have it also looks like the chinese character for water, my favorite chinese character as it is often used to describe taoism, the way of water, which I follow in life and through martial arts. Thus the aqua green color. So the avatar pretty much sums up me on multiple levels...and it sort of looked like vapor too. :D

Last edited:

StayOutOfTrees

Jan 20, 2010
Kansas
My screen name comes from my childhood, back in the days when children actually went outside all day and played. Anyhow, my brother and I used to play around a creek not too far from our house.

We used to climb trees and then we found it was fun to get high into one tree and then jump to the branches of another tree. Of course one day I missed the branch of the other tree and feel about 25 feet and broke my leg.

So after that, evertime I went out to play, mom would say, "Stay out of trees."

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Years ago, as a youngster I was reading fantasy ("The Hobbit" in fourth grade and "Lord of the Rings" by fifth, among others) and then started writing my own fantasy. Belhade is a name I made up and used for most of my main characters - Belhade Baulien as an Elvish name and James Belhade for more contemporary human characters. Then I used it online, back in '91 or so as a screenname on my sister's AOL account and I've been James Belhade ever since.

Years later, though, I discovered quite by accident (ie. Googling myself) that "Belhade" is the name of a village in the southwest of France.

The avatar is a year old pic of myself, in a "smoking is cool, right?" pose that I figured was appropriate here.

IceCreMan

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
South Jersey
Ok, I'll play. Kurt is my first name, and it being rather uncommon, and not used yet, I used it.

My avatar is a electron wave function of one of the molecular orbitals of cytosine, a DNA base, which is a molecule I study with quantum mechanics and computers. I study how DNA interacts with UV light, and why it is quite resilient to UV damage in general. Wave functions are very beautiful and graceful to me. This particular wave function when rotated how I have it also looks like the chinese character for water, my favorite chinese character as it is often used to describe taoism, the way of water, which I follow in life and through martial arts. Thus the aqua green color. So the avatar pretty much sums up me on multiple levels...and it sort of looked like vapor too. :D

Wow, that's the most elaborate description of a picture of a Pot leaf I've ever heard. What flavor did you say you were vaping?.... :shock:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Wow, that's the most elaborate description of a picture of a Pot leaf I've ever heard. What flavor did you say you were vaping?.... :shock:

OMG, it DOES kinda look like a pot leaf! I didn't see that at all! That's really funny! No, it actually is all those things I said. I made it on a molecular visualization program called MacMolPlt. The "leaves" are nodal surfaces of the wave function. The molecule itself, as in the atoms, were turned off in this image, and there was a little color added with my picture-editing program.

Perhaps now I know why no one asked earlier about what it was...they thought it was a pot leaf! :lol:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
LOL ... I too actually thought it was a "modern" take on the same

LOL! Well, I guess it is a bit of a Rorschach test, so...:rolleyes: Maybe the nicotine molecule has a wavefunction that looks like a tobacco plant. I'm still laughing that I didn't at all see that. Must be running with the wrong crowd. :cool:

BTW Thy, thanks for the words of wisdom on the "Shawn" thread. Its good when the very experienced can inject some perspective in a touchy situation. Hope it all gets smoothed out.

k

mr quackums

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2009
texas
this is a generic name of mine i use on almost everything.

one night while in highschool me and a few friends went to walmart in the middle of night (its sad how often we would go hangout at walmart). i found the most annoying stuffed duck there that would quack-out old mcdonald, london bridges, and [something else] and bought it just to annoy my friends for the rest of the night. by the end of the night he was named mr. quackums.

a short time after that i was playing startcraft with a friend and got beat fairly bad and blamed it on the duck.

ever since then ive been mr. quackums online.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Short story: Mine comes from online gaming.

Long story (caution..probably boring for non-gamers): Back in the mid 90's I used to play Quake Team Fortress online. When I would go to join a game it would list all the servers and their 'ping time' (For those that don't know, 'ping time' is the time it takes for a packet of information to travel over a network from one computer to another and back.) When playing a game, the higher the ping time to the server the more 'laggy' the game becomes.
For a couple months I had to switch from my normal service provider to AOL. Under my old provider I had become used to ping times of less 250ms and lots of servers to choose from. When I got on AOL, I could usually only find one or two servers that were not over 1000ms and the lowest I could find was 450ms. Talk about frustrating. Try playing a game where there is a half second lag between when you pull the trigger and when the gun fires. :rolleyes:
(this part only TF players will understand... I did still manage to kick ...., because I always played Engineer. The sentry guns resided on the server and had no ping time lag ;))
Anyway, 450ms is very high ping, and the name has just stuck with me.

See told ya, long boring story :D

Moriah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Bentonville, AR
When I was a teenager I was asked to make a character for a tabletop RPG. I liked Mariah Carey at the time but didn't like the sound of the name Mariah, so I chose Moriah. Later I found out it had several Biblical meanings. But I've used it as the name of various characters on games and RPGs.

When I started getting on forums, I used it. When I got married and became the only person in the US with my legal name, I Googled my handle to see if it was easily linked to it... and realized I couldn't find anything I'd posted under it because of all of the Mount Moriah Baptist Churches, etc. So it became my favorite handle to use. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread