Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Hi, @Rocketpunk! :) If you ever get the chance to eat at Portofinos, do. Great food, good prices.

If you ever get a chance to go to one of the "meets", do that too! Ha! Last few have been held in the ChooChoo Ballroom because 300-600 people attend and up to 12-13 vendors selling. A VCCTN16 is being held at the convention center sometime in Oct. Check out Scenic City Vapers on Facebook.....around 2350 members.

Here's me and Dimi early 2014. "I think they're crazy..."
He does a great deal in advocacy and keeps pretty busy traveling for our cause. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mowgli

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scen e I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

So seriously, when did this become a "scene" thing?

I feel like the same thing as you do and on april 15 of 2016----I will hit the 65 year mark.

When I tell some of the employees and customers that I have built some homemade mods and built

my own battery cradle with glue and ingenuity and put it all together with a power drill I bought

35 years ago............they look at me like you must be from mars or something nobody does things

with stuff laying around.......we must get on our cell phones and order everything.

Making do with stuff you have laying around is half the fun.........

I don't fit in with the high energy crowd ..........28 guage and 10 watts.....grey hair.......still love the Beatles...

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
clouds_bro_Jwrap_5dd4d715-d8c7-4afc-bd85-de96d26ba10b_large.jpg

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Here is the thing, people who hang out at shops have to belong to 1 of too groups, too young to have to be at work or old enough to not have to work. There are no vapeshops down here but a similar thing happened at my local hobby shop (I'm a geek, shocker). When I started I used to spend hours in there, having a good time and chillin. Now a days I when I have time to go it's in, buy, out. I've been going there for 20 years and see how I've grown. The nice thing is the owner knows business and takes time to both entertain the younglings and cater to the old folk.

Reactions: sonicbomb
I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scene I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

So seriously, when did this become a "scene" thing?

This is EXACTLY how I feel! Even my kid says, "we get it..... you vape". I guess it's supposed to be a funny YouTube video or a Vine video. Anyhow. I'm almost as old as you and don't see many older people vaping. But, who cares! I smell better then smokers! ;)

Reactions: thetrucker

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
After reading thru the entire thread...

My first response is - won't anyone think of the adult children?

My other thought(s) are....

My not fully getting the desire to contribute to local businesses. Strikes me as kind of a hipster thing to do. It's probably noble, and well intentioned, but if that same business is not providing service that matches what I, as a consumer, desire in terms of customer relations, I can't see what is so noble about supporting local business at that point. I'd like to have that explained to me.

If it literally were their (the kids) clubhouse, would you still wish to go there in some (vain) attempt at supporting the local business, that is their clubhouse?

Likely everything that is sold there is sold online, and so resolution to whatever is OP's personal concern, is easily known/overcome. Well, everything but the noble intention of supporting local businesses. Perhaps local businesses could have an online shop?

The younger generation doing social things that are vastly different than the older generation strikes me as (absolutely) normal for as long as I've been walking on this planet. When I was 15 to 22, and congregating with peers of that age, it would've been weird to throw an 'old person' (anyone over 30) into that situation. 'We' probably would've alienated them and not thought too much about it. Me, personally, I've almost always had great respect for older generation, but not so much when in a pack of my peers. Again, strikes me as normal to be like this, but kinda sucks. Adultism sucks way more IMO, and the former strikes me as karma playing out because of the persistence of the latter.

Maybe you are just stuck being a "tweener", too old for the young'uns and not old enough to be an "admired oddity". I got at least a couple decades on you and have found a great vape shop (just up I29 for you) that everybody, especially the employees treat me great. I even finally met and got a high five from the owner really nice young lady) last visit. I love it when I walk in on my monthly visit and am greeted with "Hey, Dan. How's it going? Here, you just gotta try this." And they hand me some monstrosity with some new flavor to try. I'll be danged that they even got me hooked on a flavor with grape in it, something I never would have even tried if I had known. As my wife refers to it, they are her geriatric babysitter while she shops in the city.
I think I like "tweener". I'm gonna use that!!

Reactions: OlderNDirt

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
After reading thru the entire thread...
I think you must have skimmed over a few parts because it sounds like you're missing a few key things.

My not fully getting the desire to contribute to local businesses. Strikes me as kind of a hipster thing to do. It's probably noble, and well intentioned, but if that same business is not providing service that matches what I, as a consumer, desire in terms of customer relations, I can't see what is so noble about supporting local business at that point. I'd like to have that explained to me.

If it literally were their (the kids) clubhouse, would you still wish to go there in some (vain) attempt at supporting the local business, that is their clubhouse?

1) Supporting local business is not a "hipster thing to do." Loss of small business is one of the large reasons our economy is being crushed today. I'm not going to go into a rant about that here but small businesses and the independent business owners are what built most of this country. Now most of them are gone and we're left with Walmart.

2) I don't choose to support local business if it performs poorly, has bad customer service or doesn't carry what I need. I do like to give a place the benefit of the doubt a couple of times. After that, I'm out. We have 3 vape shops here in town. (That I am aware of.) I don't automatically discount the other 2 just because one is bad. However, after visiting all of them, all 3 appear to be the same if not one a little worse than the next. Therefore I would prefer NOT to do business with any of them.

Likely everything that is sold there is sold online, and so resolution to whatever is OP's personal concern, is easily known/overcome. Well, everything but the noble intention of supporting local businesses. Perhaps local businesses could have an online shop?

You're right! Pretty much everything sold in the B&M stores CAN be bought online! However, there are times when a situation may arise that you have an immediate need for something. You can't wait or don't want to be bothered with it being shipped to you from somewhere else. Every so often getting what you need actually necessitates logging off the computer for an hour or so and leaving your house. (Unless you can get that awesome same day drone delivery service from Amazon.)

The younger generation doing social things that are vastly different than the older generation strikes me as (absolutely) normal for as long as I've been walking on this planet. When I was 15 to 22, and congregating with peers of that age, it would've been weird to throw an 'old person' (anyone over 30) into that situation. 'We' probably would've alienated them and not thought too much about it. Me, personally, I've almost always had great respect for older generation, but not so much when in a pack of my peers. Again, strikes me as normal to be like this, but kinda sucks. Adultism sucks way more IMO, and the former strikes me as karma playing out because of the persistence of the latter.

My issue is not with the way kids do things, dress or even that they hang out in a vape shop. My issue is being treated poorly as a customer and generally looked down on for being older. I'm there to spend money and help their business but not if they want to act like I'm invading their territory for being there. I said it before and I'll say it again. They can run it as a business or they can run it as a clubhouse. If they want to run it as a clubhouse, I won't bother going back. It's as simple as that.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Hey now. I have tattoos and piercings, and I am 27. I don't do it to rebel or be unique, and I don't do it to fit in. I do it because I like it, aesthetically. Not all tattoos and piercings are aesthetically pleasing to me, so I get ones I feel are attractive. Believe it nor not, there are people who feel it is attractive. People have different tastes. And I like to look in the mirror and like how I look... which includes tattoos and piercings that I find tasteful.
The thing that concerns me about this is the permanence of it all.
A person doing these things is perhaps committing themselves to a lifetime of constraints.

I am NOT arguing whether or not that should be the reality we live in.
I'm just pointing it out, because it is, or it may be.

Of course, reality can change.
:)

But in the end, such things don't seem wise to me because they put limits on you.
But living in a free country is always a good thing.

EDIT: I have always wanted a/some tattoos...
EDIT: But my wife is not on board
EDIT: But if I got any, they would be hidden from the business world
EDIT: Because that's the world I live in and make my money in
EDIT: But as I said, reality can and does often change

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
When considering their appearance and their strange behavior, we should really just consider ourselves lucky they didn't follow our lead regarding our clothing and hairstyles from the 70s and 80s... perhaps instead of telling them to get off our lawn.
I agree with everything you said, except for one thing...
They still need to get off my damn lawn.
:laugh:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I think you must have skimmed over a few parts because it sounds like you're missing a few key things.

You're right! Pretty much everything sold in the B&M stores CAN be bought online! However, there are times when a situation may arise that you have an immediate need for something. You can't wait or don't want to be bothered with it being shipped to you from somewhere else. Every so often getting what you need actually necessitates logging off the computer for an hour or so and leaving your house. (Unless you can get that awesome same day drone delivery service from Amazon.)

Why would you waste you time and gas to go to a vape shop, to buy wire & cotton, not only that but how often ?
How is it a bother to have something shipped to your door ?
Small business are shutting down because of Amazon, it's 2016 not 1995 ......................

Reactions: Bad Ninja

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
The thing that concerns me about this is the permanence of it all.
A person doing these things is perhaps committing themselves to a lifetime of constraints.

I am NOT arguing whether or not that should be the reality we live in.
I'm just pointing it out, because it is, or it may be.

Of course, reality can change.

But in the end, such things don't seem wise to me because they put limits on you.
But living in a free country is always a good thing.

EDIT: I have always wanted a/some tattoos...
EDIT: But my wife is not on board
EDIT: But if I got any, they would be hidden from the business world
EDIT: Because that's the world I live in and make my money in
EDIT: But as I said, reality can and does often change

I agree with you. However, piercings can be removed. Mine are either hidden or, for the one in my face, can be removed and re-inserted whenever. Also as for tattoos, I agree that it is unwise to get them in places that cannot be covered in a professional environment ie. neck, hands. All of mine can be covered. That being said, more and more businesses and companies are becoming more and more accepting of tattoos and piercings since they are becoming increasingly common. Before I started having issues with such poor health I worked in retail and in financial information services/customer service, and in the 10 or so years since I started working I have seen companies become increasingly lenient on their policies about tattoos and piercings.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Why would you waste you time and gas to go to a vape shop, to buy wire & cotton, not only that but how often ?
How is it a bother to have something shipped to your door ?
Small business are shutting down because of Amazon, it's 2016 not 1995 ......................

Why are you stuck on the wire and cotton? Those were only examples I used not my actual reason for being there.

If you must know, I needed to replace a broken tank and you can't exactly pick those up at Walmart. I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped from an online vendor because I would have been stuck using cartomizers on eGo batteries until it got here. Hence, I went to the place where one would be most readily available- The local B&M vape shop! I've since ordered a couple of spare tanks online but I needed a tank at that particular time, not 2 or 3 days later.

People run out of stuff. Stuff gets broken or lost. Somebody just knocked over your last bottle of juice and it soaked into the shag carpeting. Poop happens and sometimes the issue needs to be addressed in the present not in 2 or 3 days. And it might be something you're able to find elsewhere or you might not. How many places outside of vape shops sell vape juice? I'm not wasting my time running all over town to find out.

So, despite the fact that I loathe going into these places, sometimes there is a need to walk across their threshold, get what you need and get out.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Why are you stuck on the wire and cotton? Those were only examples I used not my actual reason for being there.

If you must know, I needed to replace a broken tank and you can't exactly pick those up at Walmart. I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped from an online vendor because I would have been stuck using cartomizers on eGo batteries until it got here. Hence, I went to the place where one would be most readily available- The local B&M vape shop! I've since ordered a couple of spare tanks online but I needed a tank at that particular time, not 2 or 3 days later.

People run out of stuff. Stuff gets broken or lost. Somebody just knocked over your last bottle of juice and it soaked into the shag carpeting. Poop happens and sometimes the issue needs to be addressed in the present not in 2 or 3 days. And it might be something you're able to find elsewhere or you might not. How many places outside of vape shops sell vape juice? I'm not wasting my time running all over town to find out.

So, despite the fact that I loathe going into these places, sometimes there is a need to walk across their threshold, get what you need and get out.

You may want to upgrade your back up ?
$10.57 Uwell Crown Styled Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 4ml / 0.5ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$2.17 Replacement Glass Tank for Uwell Crown Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa

FastTech..... Yeah..... Ummmm..... No.
There will be a snowy day in Jamaica before I order anything from there again.
Unless I really want to wait a month or more for my stuff to be delivered.
But I don't see that happening.

And what makes you think I need to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread