Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Vacationing isn't the best for modding, but some little things can get done. Instead of a spring, how about 2 8 x 3.5 x 1.2mm n35 ring magnets on a #6 32 brass screw held on by a knurled nut (fun to ask for at Ace)? Quite easy, but I'm not quite done with it yet. Going up to a #8 32 screw allows for more variety in nuts and things, but I'm waiting on larger magnets.

In the locked position it is quite solid, but I left it open and reached into my pocket at the supermarket and felt the nut had fallen off and had to hold the screw up until I could get my 2nd hand free from the dumb shopping basket, good times!

Open:

IMAG0424.jpg

Closed:

IMAG0425.jpg

Excuse the pocket dust please, but this thing gets a lot of use. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

weaponX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2010
C-bus, Ohio
In the locked position it is quite solid, but I left it open and reached into my pocket at the supermarket and felt the nut had fallen off and had to hold the screw up until I could get my 2nd hand free from the dumb shopping basket, good times!

oh the adventures of a modder!

'if you cant behave, your not going in'
Thats why mine stay @ home or in the car...
im so paranoid of losing a precious part, and
always have nightmares of chasing a loose
part across the floor in the deli or looking
down and realizing my pocket has been doused
with ry4. I feel your pain. :(

cool idea!

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Nice link Java. I've got 3 sizes of magnets now, the bigger ones mentioned before and a 3/8 x 1/8 x 1/16 from home depot even. The latter has a hole too small for a #6 32 screw but would be ok for a M3 screw or just a small tube. My favorite is with a #6 32 screw and a larger magnet under the presta nut (could hide under the finishing washer but then it needs a larger magnet up top) and a small magnet under the knurled nut. To keep the nut from falling off I tried a dab of glue in the end of the thread with one, and nail polish on the other. The glue works great, the other is pink now....

IMAG0463.jpg

And in the hand:

IMAG0464.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
I can still see the pics, working fine.

Thanks asdaq. I was just toying with the idea of a mechanical switch, but didnt want a spring on the outside, and putting the spring on the inside seemed danger close for a shorted switch. Off to buy some magnets...

ETA: How is the pressure on the switch? Ive never played around with neo mag's, so i cant really picture the strength on those really small mags.

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
I'll try harder this time not to delete hundreds of pics from my accounts when they aren't retrieved locally. :)

The magnets above are smaller N35, but the pressure needed depends a lot on the distance between them and if something is between them as well. That setup is quite stiff with both mags on the same screw and only a few mm apart. The bigger ones are N42 and they can be too stiff if they are too close. Here on the right are two large ones suspending a 5/8" threaded ball, and closer proximity is too uncomfortable, it is quite pocket safe as is, no locking mechanism:

IMAG0825.jpg

Here is another showing the expanded setup with the large magnet below a brass finishing washer and a valve nut too:

IMAG0701.jpg

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
so when you push the button the inside screw just pushes on the top of the battery right? what is the bottom piece with the black ring on it?
obviously they work well but i not sure i understand how you get a good solid electrical connection if the center part is loose....
nice looking mods you got there sir

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Cheers, the stuff on the right side is stationary and the bottom piece is the nut for the valve tube with a piece of vinyl tubing and an o-ring around it. The parts on the left move but as one unit. There is a fair amount of work done to the screw and the tube to get them together and the real contact point is the outside of the screw tube and the inside of the valve tube and where slop needs to be at a minimum.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Cheers, the stuff on the right side is stationary and the bottom piece is the nut for the valve tube with a piece of vinyl tubing and an o-ring around it. The parts on the left move but as one unit. There is a fair amount of work done to the screw and the tube to get them together and the real contact point is the outside of the screw tube and the inside of the valve tube and where slop needs to be at a minimum.

Phantasmagorical !!!!! DEFINITION

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Well, there is the cushioning of the flesh of my finger and the magnets themselves. Not sure how much this actually deals with that, but any arcing tends to be between the valve tube and the screw's tube, as that is where I end up cleaning. About a year of use and it is my favorite. :)

Quigs, You gotta finish yours too buddy.

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Asdaq, I'm pullin' your leg, lol...just sharing some of the grief I got when I threw out a mech. sw. idea...micro bouncing, pfft :facepalm:

I've just been so caught up in RBA building and refining...the batt mods have really taken a back seat and seeing as you have total control over the resistance, VV batt mods are about completely off the work bench...I finally got my half hard 18 awg silver (thx for the link BJ) so I'm at about ready to build the proto of my hybrid box mod...building 3, me and a couple buddies should be beta testing mid Aug :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread