Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
JDUUBS..... I've noticed the same thing (firing issue), except mine cuts out after 5 - 6 seconds no matter what kind of setup I have on the SID. Contacted the vendor and they quickly sent me the info to return the device for a look see. I don't know if it's OK to mention where I bought it, but I am very impressed with the service I have rec'd so far. Now I'm just waiting to hear what the problem is and what the resolution will be.
Overall, I am happy with the other SID's I purchased. I find that I now tend to reach for the SID over the ProVari due to the weight of the device. (not trying to start a "my APV is better than your APV argument -- just making an observation)

JDUUBS

Oct 27, 2013
Charleston, WV, USA
Horton, you gotta let me know what they say the problem is when you find out more. I would do the same, but this is my only APV, and I don't want to go to analogs or snuff while it is away for diagnosis.

I almost bought a Provari, but for my first mod I figured,"You better learn to crawl before you walk."

PM me if you'd like Horton. THX, and vape on...

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
JDUUBS..... I will post soon as I hear the "verdict". I'm hoping it's soon -- just checked with the USPS site and the package was delivered to the vendor on Fri., so I'm thinking they will contact me early in the week. I have no idea how deep they dig into problems of this nature.... it may be easier on their end to simply put a new power head on and send it back. I do hope they can tell me what is wrong, but with IC's being pretty much "commodity items" sometimes it's easier to simply send the bum part back to the mfg. for credit.
I understand the feeling about not wanting to send off your only APV and then be tempted by the analogs or snuff. Sort of defeats the purpose of what we are doing here.
You certainly would not go wrong if you decide to buy a ProVari. They are a fine device and mine has provided me well over 2 years of reliable service. I also like the idea of buying American.
Hang in there and soon as I know anything, I'll be back.....

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I agree with you Krizzell, but 5 - 6 seconds is not an adequate length of time before cutoff. With some RBA's, it takes a few seconds for the coil to get hot enough to put out decent vapor and by the time that occurs, I'm looking at only 3 or so seconds for a good draw. It should be closer to 10 seconds for cutoff.
I'm still waiting to hear from the vendor about my device even though they have had it since last Fri. Can't say I'm very happy with the situation.
I did go ahead and get a Sigelei ZMAX V3 roundtop which is much more impressive than the SID. Think I'll be changing what devices I get in the future. The fit and finish of the Sigelei is much better and it has more "heft" in the hand so to speak. So far it has not missed a beat nor changed settings on me. (sorry about getting a little off topic here)

JDUUBS

Oct 27, 2013
Charleston, WV, USA
Sorry for not checking here sooner Horton, been in the middle of a move. ....
Yeah, I know there has to be a cutoff, but it seems soo soon, and my inner cloud seeker wants more!
I hope youknowwho gets back to you soon, or else I will have to order another mod like I did on Monday. Another Smoketech, but a mech this time... And the mail waiting begins.
I like the looks of that ZMAX....

Still waiting. :p

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
JDUUBS..... I can understand why you have been scarce with a move going on. Never fun to move. I've always heard that you find out who your TRUE friends are when you move. Most will come up with a last minute excuse, but the true friends just show up on your doorstep asking what to do.
I agree about more time until cutoff. I finally dropped a note to the vendor and was informed they had shipped a "replacement" on the 4th. Was supposed to be here yesterday, but nothing. Hope I'm not going to have problems with USPS or vendor if package is lost. I've yet to have a package lost, so keeping my fingers crossed I'll see it today.
I know this is off topic, but in terms of the ZMAX, I think you would like it. Very well made and so far hasn't missed a beat. Much more mass than the SID with a similar menu system with the addition of "mean or RMS" option on the wattage setting.
Will post back soon as I get the SID back in hand.
Remember to lift with your knees!!!!!

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
I agree with you Krizzell, but 5 - 6 seconds is not an adequate length of time before cutoff. With some RBA's, it takes a few seconds for the coil to get hot enough to put out decent vapor and by the time that occurs, I'm looking at only 3 or so seconds for a good draw. It should be closer to 10 seconds for cutoff.
I'm still waiting to hear from the vendor about my device even though they have had it since last Fri. Can't say I'm very happy with the situation.
I did go ahead and get a Sigelei ZMAX V3 roundtop which is much more impressive than the SID. Think I'll be changing what devices I get in the future. The fit and finish of the Sigelei is much better and it has more "heft" in the hand so to speak. So far it has not missed a beat nor changed settings on me. (sorry about getting a little off topic here)

I have both and they cut off the same time around 10-12 sec just checked it. If your SID cuts off faster it could be the control head / button. Coils with lower ohms heat up faster that may help. I had to replace the control head on my SID in a month of use ( was not happy about that) .Lucky me I won the Zmax V3 that same week and like the feel. They are basically the same chip in them menu is worded different, and the Zmax can use different size batteries.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I'm liking the ZMAX more and more. It definitely is a better made device for same $$'s -- actually it may have been a few $$'s less than the SID now that I think about it. I did put a tiny bit of Noalox on the tube threads and it now moves much easier and with no noise. I don't change battery size often, so hopefully the tube threads will never become an issue.
Still waiting for the SID to get "home". I had to contact the vendor to find out it was shipped and they did not bother to let me know nor tell me what the problem was. Shipped it on the 4th. and still no joy. The est. delivery day was the 7th. and now it's the 9th. I'm hoping this does not turn into a mess with a lost package.
Hope everybody has a pleasant weekend......

Last edited:

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
I had to return one sid under warranty. I have another that has worked pretty flawlessly. The second one had a crooked screen but worked well for a few weeks then started going blank all the time. The screen also became messed up. Returned it to vendor under warranty and am getting it replaced with a zmax instead. Still like my working sid though. Sometimes things fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread