So first MOD.. Smoketech SID, VAMO, EVic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzFreee

Aug 4, 2013
United States
Looking to get my first mod.. What's the Best? After scrolling through GRIMMGREENs vids I'm leaning towards a Black SID.. though I saw a post about shorting problems with the black version on a ProTank 2 (which i have). The Evic looks dazzling but I hear it has some issues with software and limit on voltage with higher ohm coils. Apparently everyone has a VAMO? the V3 look is a bit much but some say the V2 is better anyhow. Anyone been through the ringer and come up with a fav?

Oh, I did order the iTaste VW V3 from fasttech.. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1400400 - killer deal but still want to get one of these bigger mods. I'm getting obsessed haha.
Any thoughts appreciated. THX! :vapor:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
All I can tell you is that you won't be unhappy with a Vamo. But that's because I love Vamos - they just work and you don't need a mortgage to buy one. (I can only talk about the V2 SS - I have 2 of these and they are Grrrreat!) I bought one from a UK vendor & one from FT - they are equally good but one was much cheaper to buy.

coat

Apr 16, 2013
N/A
Haven't used the SID so I can't say much about that. The evic LOOKS nice but it feels very cheap, and as you mentioned the software has caused issues for many people. I've been using the stainless vamo v2 as my everyday variable wattage device and would highly recommend it. I drop it often and still functions perfectly and not a scratch on it.

Got a chance to play with that itaste at work this week, good choice. Since its only 800mah it's nice that it has a passthrough. Only complaints are that the buttons rattle and the puff counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I have a VAMO2 and a "Wildfire"/Varimax http://www.vaporbeast.com/Varimax-Variable-Voltage-Battery-Mod-Stainless-p/36-0091-005.htm (if you're not sure what it is) For ME personally I found I MUCH prefer separate buttons for dialing voltage up or down. Trying a mod without the separate buttons helped me find out I hate that kind of operating system. I often change volts when driving, and I just personally don't think it's safe to have to look at a mod screen when driving. Maybe I'm a bit worrisome there.

However the Varimax does seem to be nice enough and a good test run to see if you would like a provari before you spend a large amount of money on it. I'm sure many people love one button operation systems. I am just personally not a fan at all.

I do like my VAMO2 very much. It hits like a freight train. BUT in my experience I've found that the connecter button in the middle of the 510 connection gets lower....and...lower...and.... it makes you worried things won't connect to vape. I don't very much like this. If the connecter was more stable I'd give it a solid 9/10. The finish does come off some but meh...it's cosmetic and cosmetic doesn't bother me. There also is not a cut off. I was very disappointed to see the VAMO 3 introduced a 10 second cut off. I hate that. Don't cut me off. Let me vape as much as my iron lungs can handle! Ha. So I'll probubly buy another VAMO 2 at some point, or two for back up.

So I'm not trying to tell you what to buy. I'm just giving you feedback from my experience.

No matter what mod you end up buying, shoot for quality batteries. There's reports efest are not as great as they are popular. I'm experiencing this to be true with mine as their performance is prematurely dwindling.

Culture LLC

Moved On
Aug 31, 2013
Connecticut
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Haven't used the SID so I can't say much about that. The evic LOOKS nice but it feels very cheap, and as you mentioned the software has caused issues for many people. I've been using the stainless vamo v2 as my everyday variable wattage device and would highly recommend it. I drop it often and still functions perfectly and not a scratch on it.

Got a chance to play with that itaste at work this week, good choice. Since its only 800mah it's nice that it has a passthrough. Only complaints are that the buttons rattle and the puff counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What is the puff counter thing about? Why would you want to count your "puffs"? Is it an example of "We can do that - so let's do it whether anybody wants it or not"? Pfffff.....:)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Everyone also seems to overlook the Seglei Zmax. I own two vamos and both have varying degrees of threading issues. My Zmax is solid, nice finish and has a much better degree of fit and quality than my two vamos.

As Ocelot said, do some reading in the APV forums, you'll see what issues each mod has. If you can visit a local B&M too, it might be a good idea to hold them in your hand before you purchase.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
What is the puff counter thing about? Why would you want to count your "puffs"? Is it an example of "We can do that - so let's do it whether anybody wants it or not"? Pfffff.....:)

I've thought the same about manufacturers bragging about being able to charge your phone with your APV. Like really? You're going to use that as a selling point? (yes, I know, some will find it helpful)

For me they are two completely unrelated devices. Now if I could buy an APV that can walk my dog, then I'm in.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I like the Sigelei Zmax as well. My only comments on the Vamo are that the dark chrome wears off very quickly and the 510 connection feels a bit fragile. There have also been reports of the gasket around the connection coming off, since my arrived already chewed up I keep a close eye on it. I don't like feeling I have to baby it compared to my other APVs, but my experience appears to differ from others.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
BUT in my experience I've found that the connecter button in the middle of the 510 connection gets lower....and...lower...and.... it makes you worried things won't connect to vape.

If you mean the pin then don't worry!. A small screwdriver can be used (carefully) to lift it if it gets pushed down by a tank or anything.

Glad that you like your Vamo! :)

(when I say "pin" I should probably say "centre post" or something. It's the 510 bit with the rubber grommet round it. Personally I call it Reginald.)

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Nothing wrong with any of them. I got this as my first.
Haven't thought much about getting a second, but for variety, when I do, it'll likely be a VAMO.
But the SVD is exactly what I hoped it would be...and since it was my first mod, I also got the absolute best batteries I could find and a 4-slot NiteCore charger - grand total $69 at FastTech.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
If you mean the pin then don't worry!. A small screwdriver can be used (carefully) to lift it if it gets pushed down by a tank or anything.

Glad that you like your Vamo! :)

(when I say "pin" I should probably say "centre post" or something. It's the 510 bit with the rubber grommet round it. Personally I call it Reginald.)

Well I know there's a reddit post about going to a hardware store, getting a new washer, and fixing the problem with the post permanently yourself which I will do when I have a new Vamo because there's the risk I may kill the one I use now trying to take out the old washer(in my unmechanial mind) I have indeed done the "lift with screwdriver, or switchblade, or tweezers" but as soon as I screw my tank the center post/connection once again.... is down quite flat. For mine, that is not working unfortunately, but it would be very nice if it did. I'm not saying it makes the mod bad at all. On the contrary I really do love the Vamo. It's just a quirk.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

oez.gif

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Have used the Vamo V2 for 6 months now and very impressed BUT before I pulled the trigger I knew there was the possibility of issues...luckily it still performs like a champ. I'm not a "collector" of PVs but have been so very impressed with my Vamo I just got a V3.
Realize some complain about the cosmetics of the V3. There's now a V4 :facepalm: that has the cosmetics of the V2 but the improvements that came with the V3- Oled screen, 2 threaded pieces, wider and removable juice well tip. For the price it just can't be beat BUT I will say the weak link is the 510 connector- really have to be careful and not over tighten anything= damaged 510 silicon ring/ seal and/ or stripped 510 connector threads.
Have used all sorts of Mods and I find the Vamo menu is very easy to navigate.

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Have used the Vamo V2 for 6 months now and very impressed BUT before I pulled the trigger I knew there was the possibility of issues...luckily it still performs like a champ. I'm not a "collector" of PVs but have been so very impressed with my Vamo I just got a V3.
Realize some complain about the cosmetics of the V3. There's now a V4 :facepalm: that has the cosmetics of the V2 but the improvements that came with the V3- Oled screen, 2 threaded pieces, wider and removable juice well tip. For the price it just can't be beat BUT I will say the weak link is the 510 connector- really have to be careful and not over tighten anything= damaged 510 silicon ring/ seal and/ or stripped 510 connector threads.
Have used all sorts of Mods and I find the Vamo menu is very easy to navigate.

I like the grooves... it makes it easier to hold on to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread